Bronny James

rico

On 8/17/2022 at 9:00 PM, dgambill said:

It’s made more difficult because there isn’t the same level of desperation…hunger to get out and be great…its not just rich and entitled kids nowadays but even a lot of middle class kids…they’ve never had to face real adversity…whether it’s their privilege or just helicopter parents but they’ve not been allowed to go through the difficulties that fosters growth and mental fortitude.  

Not to be too religious but it’s in several passages of scripture such as Romans 5:3-5. Concisely…suffering produces perseverance, perseverance builds character, character hope. We do a disservice to our young kids to not let them go through trials and immediately rescue them from anything tough. It’s even more difficult for these rich or privileged kids from star parents who hasn’t had the same hardships to overcome as a kid from a disadvantaged background. Only a select few will have the drive or have had parents that allow for them to go through real adversity and not try to rescue them. Makes me appreciate some kids from superstar parents that make it…not only is there something special and unique inside them but probably had some really good parenting along the way too. Will be hard for Bronny but if I was Lebron I’d actually send him to a normal college experience where sure he will get heckled, will have to deal with expectations and social media etc…but if he wants him to be the best he can become those tough experiences will grow him into a more tough and hardened player and young man…and prepare him better for basketball and life.

My understanding from the ESPN talking heads is that LeBron wants to copy the Griffeys and play with his son.  Seems to me he might have to be an owner...or in a very strong position to make it happen.  His kid isn't exactly a "can't miss" prospect.  But what do I know!  LOL   😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

My understanding from the ESPN talking heads is that LeBron wants to copy the Griffeys and play with his son.  Seems to me he might have to be an owner...or in a very strong position to make it happen.  His kid isn't exactly a "can't miss" prospect.  But what do I know!  LOL   😂

I think it's actually pretty likely to happen. I know at this point Bronny is probably an undrafted level talent or second round at best. But with that said, if you're OKC, Orlando, Sacramento, New Orleans and by that time Zion has forced his way out, etc., and you have something like the 23rd pick, why wouldn't you draft him? Cleveland to have LeBron retire there? 

I think there are a lot of teams that would draft Bronny to have this story. 

The financial win of having LeBron and Bronny for a season would he massive. You're going to be on ESPN and TNT every night, you're selling out every game, you're sponsorship and advertising revenue is going to go through the roof, jersey and apparel sales,  etc., etc.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's a good story only if Bronny is an NBA-level player, and deserves to be in the league based on his ability.  If so, it's awesome.  We'll see James-to-James passes for dunks and the crowds will go wild.

Or, he will be the privileged child of a billionaire father, who is on the team only because of nepotism.

He'll be a Kardashian. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

It's a good story only if Bronny is an NBA-level player, and deserves to be in the league based on his ability.  If so, it's awesome.  We'll see James-to-James passes for dunks and the crowds will go wild.

Or, he will be the privileged child of a billionaire father, who is on the team only because of nepotism.

He'll be a Kardashian. 

It doesn't really matter if he's in the league based on ability. It will still drive eyeballs, ticket sales, ad/sponsorship dollars, etc.  It will be a huge financial win for whichever team pulls it off. 

I mean, the Celtics were an NBA Finals team and had Matt Ryan, Luke Kornet, Juwan Morgan and Malik Fitts on their roster. 

Regardless of his skill, having Bronny and LeBron would bring way more value to a franchise then any of those guys. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It doesn't really matter if he's in the league based on ability. It will still drive eyeballs, ticket sales, ad/sponsorship dollars, etc.  It will be a huge financial win for whichever team pulls it off. 

I mean, the Celtics were an NBA Finals team and had Matt Ryan, Luke Kornet, Juwan Morgan and Malik Fitts on their roster. 

Regardless of his skill, having Bronny and LeBron would bring way more value to a franchise then any of those guys. 

Bronny and LeBron would be more akin to Pete Rose and Pete Rose, Jr. than Griffey, Sr. and Junior Griffey.  That is to say it wouldn't move my needle.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think it's actually pretty likely to happen. I know at this point Bronny is probably an undrafted level talent or second round at best. But with that said, if you're OKC, Orlando, Sacramento, New Orleans and by that time Zion has forced his way out, etc., and you have something like the 23rd pick, why wouldn't you draft him? Cleveland to have LeBron retire there? 

The financial win of having LeBron and Bronny for a season would he massive. You're going to be on ESPN and TNT every night, you're selling out every game, you're sponsorship and advertising revenue is going to go through the roof, jersey and apparel sales,  etc., etc.

I agree with this and wondered if that storyline could work for some team.  Cleveland would certainly make sense.

Edited by jv1972iu

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

He'll be a Kardashian. 

LeBron may have to play some games with the South Bay Lakers if he wants to play with Bronny

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Bronny and LeBron would be more akin to Pete Rose and Pete Rose, Jr. than Griffey, Sr. and Junior Griffey.  That is to say it wouldn't move my needle.

It would be the major storyline of the NBA for that season. 

I agree that Bronny, at least as it stands now would only be in the NBA because of his Dad. But that also doesn't really matter. There is a lot more at play then just the actual talent. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree that Bronny, at least as it stands now would only be in the NBA because of his Dad. But that also doesn't really matter. There is a lot more at play then just the actual talent. 

It would be a way better story if Bronny were to emerge as a true NBA talent.  Even better if Bronny would turn out to be HoF worthy.

30 minutes ago, rico said:

That may be, but as it is currently situated I would view it as a circus side show.  

That's fine. That's one opinion and you're certainly welcome to it, and I don't totally disagree agree it. 

But, that doesn't mean it isn't happening and that for the right franchise it wouldn't be a good or the right move. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

It could also potentially help lure Bryce, Bronny's younger brother, who, at 15 years old, is 6'6". He could be a much more intriguing prospect.

• Like 1

I think people are looking at this backwards…The accomplishment would be entirely Lebrons. Playing in the NBA for the 20 some odd years required for his kid to even be old enough to play with him…and the fact that he would be playing at such a high level still that a team is willing to throw his son a bone just to get Lebron to go or stay….well that is the true story….it’s about Lebron (as everything is with him)…it isn’t about his son…if it was he would want for his son to earn his way to his success and to not be simply a tool for Lebron…a PR circus. If anything it will hurt his sons chance to be legitimized on his own and be taken seriously in the league. I don’t really respect how Lebron is going about this and maybe I have it entirely wrong but this is very selfish of him…and actually will only hurt his son in the future.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, BGleas said:

Legacy hires in America? Who knew?? Haha...

I will say this though. If this ever happens there's going to be zero shortage of guys who on the court will send his stuff to the seats. Now they will all say the right things off the court but on the court he's going to get tested often.

Sometimes a Dad's love for their kid blinds their judgement. Like I said if this ever happens I  hope it's just not a staging thing....could make the kid look like a chump.

With that said that's my last comment on a borderline top 50 recruit who hasn't even stepped foot on campus. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rico said:

What if Woody and the Hoosiers show interest in Bronny?  lol

I think if Bronny does go to college, a coach like Mike Woodson and a internal basketball culture like Coach Woody is trying to establish would be perfect for him as long as ground rules were established with the kid, the family, and the media beforehand...

That said, from what we've seen of Mike Woodson, he doesn't like distractions... And this would be the Cirque du Soleil of distractions... 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think if Bronny does go to college, a coach like Mike Woodson and a internal basketball culture like Coach Woody is trying to establish would be perfect for him as long as ground rules were established with the kid, the family, and the media beforehand...

That said, from what we've seen of Mike Woodson, he doesn't like distractions... And this would be the Cirque du Soleil of distractions... 

My exact thoughts. Coach might have a great relationship with Lebron,etc.....but this sort of distraction?? Doesn't seem Woody like.

• Like 1

For whatever reason talking about the "James Gang" reminded me of Rick Barry.  Rick was a fabulous NBA player and had numerous sons.  They were never as good as Rick but yet they were damn fine ball players at the collegiate level.  Maybe Bronny can be one of the Barry boys?   

39 minutes ago, rico said:

For whatever reason talking about the "James Gang" reminded me of Rick Barry.  Rick was a fabulous NBA player and had numerous sons.  They were never as good as Rick but yet they were damn fine ball players at the collegiate level.  Maybe Bronny can be one of the Barry boys?   

My brain instantly read that as Rick James

• Haha 2