NCAAF/National Scene

rico

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Greed is going to be the down fall of college sports.  These big conferences and programs are just going to bulldoze over smaller programs to where it will just be a select number that will play D1

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good."---Gordon Gekko

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Terrible news out of Indiana State.

https://share.newsbreak.com/1my8otjj

Just awful. The team Chaplain is married to my cousin. I believe he had one player get baptized just the other day. Life is so precious…and nothing is guaranteed. Feel awful for those kids, their families, and the teammates. Praying for them all.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 9:53 AM, rico said:

Given that he was already an AA once, is there a realistic chance Mullen could be one again? What kind of season would he need to have, and would IU need to finish 6-6 (at worst) for him to be considered? 

54 minutes ago, btownqb said:

😅

All but 3 or 4 teams in the country would love that narrative and to be 44-7 in your last 51 games. They are not Bama, OSU Clemson or Georgia but in the last 10 years have been better than any other program as a whole.  It sucks to be top 10 so often. As a fan we want National Championships but others look for reasons to put them down but no one with half a brain would honestly say that they would not trade places with ND. Like I have always said they are the top of the next group but I want better. Most everyone else is just jealous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

😅

True,

A good buddy of mine just turned down free tickets to the OSU v ND game because he said they can't beat good teams and he can't stand to see them lose.  I told him you should be used to it after the last 25 years.  I wonder what IU's MBB record is against top 10 teams in this timeframe?  Seem to be on similar paths.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

True,

A good buddy of mine just turned down free tickets to the OSU v ND game because he said they can't beat good teams and he can't stand to see them lose.  I told him you should be used to it after the last 25 years.  I wonder what IU's MBB record is against top 10 teams in this timeframe?  Seem to be on similar paths.

Didn't we beat MSUx2 when they were ranked Top 10 a couple of years ago? That was an oddity in these times, for sure lol 

27 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

True,

Didn't crean have a better record versus top 25 than he did 26 through 45?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Notre Dame is pretty important to the B1G, imo, for football. They're in the Penn St, Michigan, USC tier no doubt... and for sure helps the B1G start to match the SEC, somewhat. 

Surely USC is going to turn it around with Riley? 

I don’t think ND would be all that relevant in the B1G….Do they win 10 games playing in the B1G. I think they lose 2-3 games a year. Our issue is that Michigan and Penn St haven’t really been all that relevant lately….we need a team beside OSU to get into the playoffs and win it. The difference between SEC and B1G isn’t that wide…it’s just they’ve had multiple teams make runs with special years and win it. They typically most years have two top teams while the B1G only ever has 1. The SEC is considered deeper because of how many teams have won NC….but outside Bama there is usually only 1 other really relevant team in the SEC. We just lack that secondary team. Maybe it’s because the East is so stacked and they beat up on each other…rarely get two undefeated teams in B1G championship to have option to send multiples to playoffs. West has mostly been disappointing. I’d say SEC is a little stronger at the top with another contender next to Bama while we only have OSU but rest of the way our teams can play with theirs. I’d also love to see how they would fair on the road in Dec in the cold as well. When we play them it’s always track athletes playing in perfect track conditions (domes) while our teams are built differently. No doubt the SEC is king…but it will be good for B1G to have USC be good in the West…for any chance to have multiple playoff teams.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think ND would be all that relevant in the B1G….Do they win 10 games playing in the B1G. I think they lose 2-3 games a year. Our issue is that Michigan and Penn St haven’t really been all that relevant lately….we need a team beside OSU to get into the playoffs and win it. The difference between SEC and B1G isn’t that wide…it’s just they’ve had multiple teams make runs with special years and win it. They typically most years have two top teams while the B1G only ever has 1. The SEC is considered deeper because of how many teams have won NC….but outside Bama there is usually only 1 other really relevant team in the SEC. We just lack that secondary team. Maybe it’s because the East is so stacked and they beat up on each other…rarely get two undefeated teams in B1G championship to have option to send multiples to playoffs. West has mostly been disappointing. I’d say SEC is a little stronger at the top with another contender next to Bama while we only have OSU but rest of the way our teams can play with theirs. I’d also love to see how they would fair on the road in Dec in the cold as well. When we play them it’s always track athletes playing in perfect track conditions (domes) while our teams are built differently. No doubt the SEC is king…but it will be good for B1G to have USC be good in the West…for any chance to have multiple playoff teams.

Best post I've read in awhile.  Riley at USC should give the B1G a solid second potential playoff team. His recruiting should allow them to compete annually. He'll also keep the top SoCal kids home, which will hurt Bama and some of the other schools that have poached that talent since Pete Carroll left.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Best post I've read in awhile.  Riley at USC should give the B1G a solid second potential playoff team. His recruiting should allow them to compete annually. He'll also keep the top SoCal kids home, which will hurt Bama and some of the other schools that have poached that talent since Pete Carroll left.

Going to be very interesting to follow in coming years. Trust me Bama and the gang will still get their guys but the days of Nick flying his chopper into South Florida and taking whoever he wants are over with what Mario is doing at Miami already. 5 kids have already chosen Miami over Bama, LSU, Georgia,etc.....and my guess is Riley will be able to do the same in LA.

Will be curious of impact on SEC for sure. Like I said Bama is still going to get their guys but it won't be just going shopping anymore.

• Like 2

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Going to be very interesting to follow in coming years. Trust me Bama and the gang will still get their guys but the days of Nick flying his chopper into South Florida and taking whoever he wants are over with what Mario is doing at Miami already. 5 kids have already chosen Miami over Bama, LSU, Georgia,etc.....and my guess is Riley will be able to do the same in LA.

Will be curious of impact on SEC for sure. Like I said Bama is still going to get their guys but it won't be just going shopping anymore.

For sure. Bama will get theirs. But for the reasons you mentioned,  it will be MUCH tougher.  If South Florida,  SoCal, and potentially Texas get locked down again, it will be more cyclical for Bama than plugging in 5 stars at every position annually. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

For sure. Bama will get theirs. But for the reasons you mentioned,  it will be MUCH tougher.  If South Florida,  SoCal, and potentially Texas get locked down again, it will be more cyclical for Bama than plugging in 5 stars at every position annually. 

NIL basically just helps spread out the 5 stars across more programs. That said I’m not sure having the most 5 stars wins NC….Bama coaching is on a different level…agree they may have more cycles where they win and drop down a year before getting back in the playoffs but I don’t think they will ever be outside the top 10 while Saban is there. It’s an NFL factory and the kids know that just as well as anyone and will still see their best opportunity in going there.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

NIL basically just helps spread out the 5 stars across more programs. That said I’m not sure having the most 5 stars wins NC….Bama coaching is on a different level…agree they may have more cycles where they win and drop down a year before getting back in the playoffs but I don’t think they will ever be outside the top 10 while Saban is there. It’s an NFL factory and the kids know that just as well as anyone and will still see their best opportunity in going there.

Agree the coaching and development are vastly superior,  but the 5 stars certainly help ( He doesn't make the playoff with our roster). Saban walked into a loaded talent situation with Alabama high school seniors his first season. Most were going to Bama anyway. Saban developed them and established his system. He's never looked back.