NCAAF/National Scene

rico

18 minutes ago, rico said:

That would be a great move for Neb.

It would for Nebraska,  not sure about Schiano. He's a New Jersey guy with major recruiting connections in that area. I look at him as a Rich Rodriguez situation at West Virginia,  it just works. Other than taking the Penn State job, or going back to the NFL, not sure why he'd leave. Who knows.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

It would for Nebraska,  not sure about Schiano. He's a New Jersey guy with major recruiting connections in that area. I look at him as a Rich Rodriguez situation at West Virginia,  it just works. Other than taking the Penn State job, or going back to the NFL, not sure why he'd leave. Who knows.

$$$$$$$

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

$$$$$$$

Sadly true. But with that come ridiculous expectations at Nebraska.  You can coach at Rutgers for 20 years making X, versus 4-5 years at Nebraska making Y before getting fired. Plus you live in Lincoln. Nebraska.

If they're gonna back up the Brinks truck, go get a Midwest boy like Kalen Deboer. You just better have a plan of where you're going to recruit your speed. No strong geographic recruiting base at Nebraska.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Sadly true. But with that come ridiculous expectations at Nebraska.  You can coach at Rutgers for 20 years making X, versus 4-5 years at Nebraska making Y before getting fired. Plus you live in Lincoln. Nebraska.

If they're gonna back up the Brinks truck, go get a Midwest boy like Kalen Deboer. You just better have a plan of where you're going to recruit your speed. No strong geographic recruiting base at Nebraska.

Schiano is in a win-win situation imo.

I think Kalen, if he gets things going in Washington, could be in line for a gig better than Nebraska.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Schiano is in a win-win situation imo.

I think Kalen, if he gets things going in Washington, could be in line for a gig better than Nebraska.

Agree on both. The biggest advantage, other than money, for Nebraska is getting to play in the B1G west. Much easier than Rutgers having to face the East.

Have to wonder if Schiano learned from leaving Rutgers before.  Not sure he'd be welcomed back a third time if he was fired at Nebraska. He may value being close to family and friends more at this point in his life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

There might have been 10,000 at UCLA game yesterday and that's being generous. Before the there's more to do out West crowd chimes let me say this. I agree....but you have 357 other days of the year to go to the beach, mountains, hike, bike, fish,etc....and I also know it's hot out there. Try those temps with humidity and that's what most of the South plays in this month and still fills their stadiums.

UCLA can't wait to join the Big for the $ because it's obvious their product is so bad nobody wants to attend.

Rose Bowl.jpg

Their product on the field is fine…it’s just California for you. 

I’d see a guy like Bill Obrein getting a shot. Big shoes to fill at Penn St after that disaster they had and had them running quickly. Could see him doing the same at Nebraska….Matt Rhule is a great college coach that is probably over his head in the NFL.  Look what he did at Baylor. Lots of examples of coaches bringing programs back fast.

Edited by dgambill

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'll have to kindly disagree. 2 Family members (Uncle and Cousin) went to UCLA....several good friends who live in Orange County and 1 in Bay.....sports used to be a big deal. Coliseum and Rose Bowl was packed every weekend....Stanford was always sold out....it's the product on the field. 

Now maybe it's sports fans in general. Like my relatives say why would I want to fight traffic for a bad team when I can watch a bad team at home.  

28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d see a guy like Bill Obrein getting a shot. Big shoes to fill at Penn St after that disaster they had and had them running quickly. Could see him doing the same at Nebraska….Matt Rhule is a great college coach that is probably over his head in the NFL.  Look what he did at Baylor. Lots of examples of coaches bringing programs back fast.

2 good choices. Whoever it is better hire some serious recruiters with connections in Texas or Florida. Gotta recruit speed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll have to kindly disagree. 2 Family members (Uncle and Cousin) went to UCLA....several good friends who live in Orange County and 1 in Bay.....sports used to be a big deal. Coliseum and Rose Bowl was packed every weekend....Stanford was always sold out....it's the product on the field. 

Now maybe it's sports fans in general. Like my relatives say why would I want to fight traffic for a bad team when I can watch a bad team at home.  

Attendance for UCLA vs Bowling Green was 27,143.  Your earlier comment re attendance made me curious.   Attendance for USC vs Rice was 60,113.   Stanford vs Colgate was  26,826.   😁

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Attendance for UCLA vs Bowling Green was 27,143.  Your earlier comment re attendance made me curious.   Attendance for USC vs Rice was 60,113.   Stanford vs Colgate was  26,826.   😁

The California schools just have a very hard time filling stadiums because they aren’t in college towns. Utah, Oregon, Washington, heck even Washington St and Colorado have better attendance by filled %. The product at UCLA isn’t an issue. They went 8-4 last year and probably will do as well if not better this year. LA is has a lot going on….but mostly it’s a pro sports town…

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

The California schools just have a very hard time filling stadiums because they aren’t in college towns. Utah, Oregon, Washington, heck even Washington St and Colorado have better attendance by filled %. The product at UCLA isn’t an issue. They went 8-4 last year and probably will do as well if not better this year. LA is has a lot going on….but mostly it’s a pro sports town…

It appears to me that football just plain struggles in LA.  

21 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't think that's necessarily true or fair. Sports are huge out here, and there are many, many diehard fans. Speaking specifically about UCLA, it's not the easiest or most convenient trip to get from campus to the Rose Bowl. 

Not sure how this is rectified, but it's absolutely less than ideal, especially when compared to other schools where you can walk to the stadium. Even USC has that.

Also, the weather thing is a factor. It's been north of 105 here for the past week. Humidity (and comparing it to the South) doesn't matter -- baking in the sun for three hours at those temps just isn't enjoyable.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 8.44.10 AM.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don't think that's necessarily true or fair. Sports are huge out here, and there are many, many diehard fans. Speaking specifically about UCLA, it's not the easiest or most convenient trip to get from campus to the Rose Bowl. 

Not sure how this is rectified, but it's absolutely less than ideal, especially when compared to other schools where you can walk to the stadium. Even USC has that.

Also, the weather thing is a factor. It's been north of 105 here for the past week. Humidity (and comparing it to the South) doesn't matter -- baking in the sun for three hours at those temps just isn't enjoyable.

How accurate are those travel times?

9 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

When a school like USC can only fill to 75% capacity…it’s more than weather. It ain’t hot and muggy in Fayetteville or Oxford?? It was Labor Day weekend so I can see poor attendance but man you it’s more than just that. I might give you UCLA but heck they can’t even get fans to watch their basketball team so we’ll forgive me when 4 of the worst attended schools in PAC12 are all in California. It’s just not a college town and that’s a big deal. 

Edited by dgambill

22 hours ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.si.com/college/duke/football/duke-football-students-stay-halftime

I guess our fan base isn't the only one that leaves at halftime 

I think college football games in general are just getting absurdly long. A college basketball game lasts about 2 hours. That's about the same length as a movie. Anymore, it takes about 2 hours just to reach halftime in a football game. 

• Like 1