NCAAF/National Scene

rico

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Supposedly they want to try to get Urban.  I have no idea why he’d want to go there.  

I’m sure Urban is in the top of many open NCAA football vacancies or potential vacancies. If Nebraska has big pockets, why wouldn’t they go after him? I’m not rooting for him OR Nebraska, but they both have history of success. 
Nebraska is among the most storied programs in college football history. NU claims forty-six conference championships and five national championships (1970, 1971, 1994, 1995, and 1997), and has won nine other national championships the school does not claim.

10 hours ago, rico said:

Does Freeman last the whole year at Notre Dame?  No Irish HC has ever started their career 0-3 until Marcus accomplished the feat yesterday.

I think he stays. The players love him…but he may need to shake up the staff for sure. I know this will sound awful but it’s the truth. The optics of ND firing an African American coach before 1 season would be horrific.

Edited by dgambill

On 9/11/2022 at 8:04 AM, rico said:

Does Freeman last the whole year at Notre Dame?  No Irish HC has ever started their career 0-3 until Marcus accomplished the feat yesterday.

It was such a bizarre hire.  You really have to count on your AD to get it right.  Maybe he will grow into the job with on the job training but being a player’s buddy and recruiter doesn’t qualify you to be a head coach. That’s a far cry from running the whole operation.  It’s complicated with lots of moving parts.  Out of all the rising coaches who proved they can run an operation, this was the choice?  Now that they hired him, will they give him a fair chance to develop?  He can turn it around and still be great but it’s obviously requiring growing pains. 

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It was such a bizarre hire.  You really have to count on your AD to get it right.  Maybe he will grow into the job with on the job training but being a player’s buddy and recruiter doesn’t qualify you to be a head coach. That’s a far cry from running the whole operation.  It’s complicated with lots of moving parts.  Out of all the rising coaches who proved they can run an operation, this was the choice?  Now that they hired him, will they give him a fair chance to develop?  He can turn it around and still be great but it’s obviously requiring growing pains. 

He needs to recruit at top 5 level, or it will be a challenge. Ed Ogeron was a players coach and incredible recruiter, but the elite programs need skilled CEOs. Notre Dame is a tough place to learn on the job.  Seems like Kelly may have jumped at the right time from a talent standpoint as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am not opposed to Freeman at all. Really liked the hire but I wish they would have talked to Urban. 

It is looking like the Golden Domers should have had a coaching search.  I know it is early but I am hearing grumblings up here in my part of the state.  

• Like 1