NCAAF/National Scene

rico

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Neither of these teams scare me.

Penn State looks particularly unimpressive.

Clifford is pedestrian at best. My only hope is that PSU doesn’t hand it over to that freshman by the time we play them. Kid can really sling it. 
In other news, Reece Taylor was absolute hot garbage tonight…is this some deep state/double agent sabotagery??? 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Penn St is unbelievably talented. Back up Q is the real deal. 

Yeah, that kid looked phenomenal in his 1 drive. PSU fans are screaming for Clifford to be benched. 

Sort of on that note, to me James Franklin is PSU's Tom Crean. Recuits well enough to think he's going to turn the corner all the time, there's always a glaring hole roster wise (usually offensive line for Franklin), and he's an below average game coach with wild swings of inconsistencies. 

Franklin gets just enough top 15 finishes to keep thinking he'll turn the corner, but mixes them in with just awful seasons given the talent. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Clifford is pedestrian at best. My only hope is that PSU doesn’t hand it over to that freshman by the time we play them. Kid can really sling it. 
In other news, Reece Taylor was absolute hot garbage tonight…is this some deep state/double agent sabotagery??? 

Normally he wouldn’t have started but the two starting DB’s are coming back from injury. But yeah he had a rough night. 

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, that kid looked phenomenal in his 1 drive. PSU fans are screaming for Clifford to be benched. 

Sort of on that note, to me James Franklin is PSU's Tom Crean. Recuits well enough to think he's going to turn the corner all the time, there's always a glaring hole roster wise (usually offensive line for Franklin), and he's an below average game coach with wild swings of inconsistencies. 

Franklin gets just enough top 15 finishes to keep thinking he'll turn the corner, but mixes them in with just awful seasons given the talent. 

Really good analogy. Until the final drive that bailed Penn St out I'm sitting there going this is your $100M guy Penn St?

By the way...never knew until last night that Purdue gets to avoid Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio St this year. I see Purdue is getting Wisconsin schedule this year.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

What the heck is an illegal blindside block?  Saw that against PU. I was also flipping back to the Pitt-WVU game. I'm so tired of the targeting rule, it's stops the game so they can review and they get overturned just as much as confirmed. And alot of them don't even look intentional. 

Illegal blindside block would be when a player is "defenseless" /he cannot see the blocker..... and the blocker engages the defender with anything, but his hands, first. 

Like-- the old school "crack" block by a WR is illegal, in the form that they used to do it in. You can still "crack" just with your hands, first. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Really good analogy. Until the final drive that bailed Penn St out I'm sitting there going this is your $100M guy Penn St?

By the way...never knew until last night that Purdue gets to avoid Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio St this year. I see Purdue is getting Wisconsin schedule this year.

All the more important that they suffered this PSU loss. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It was like 30 secs left and PSU was in an "under" look showing blitz. The equivalency of that would be up like 8 with a minute to go in a basketball game and you are pressuring the ball 70ft from the basket. STUPID. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Illegal blindside block would be when a player is "defenseless" /he cannot see the blocker..... and the blocker engages the defender with anything, but his hands, first. 

Like-- the old school "crack" block by a WR is illegal, in the form that they used to do it in. You can still "crack" just with your hands, first. 

OK. I figured a clipping call would cover that. 

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Sucks to lose the game like that especially when Purdue was the better team for the majority of the game. Too many dumb mistakes though that have to be cleaned up. 

Brohm deserves some criticism for his play calling down the stretch.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I've seen this mentioned multiple times.... what were his play calling deficiencies last night? 

2. People are going to question Purdue's late play-calling 

Purdue took a 31-28 lead on Chris Jefferson's pick six with 8:29 left in the game. The Boilermakers had two more possessions and chances to burn the clock, but ran 11 plays for 26 yards and, more importantly, only 3:43 off the clock. The Boilermakers called 13 passing plays to only one rush (two were called back on penalties), and the incompletions allowed Penn State to conserve timeouts.

Obviously, Purdue coach Jeff Brohm will be second-guessed, and I understand why. That said, I also understand Brohm's thought process. Purdue's rushing attack averaged a nation's worst 2.79 yards per carry last season. Against Penn State it improved to 4.1 per carry (not including sacks). Brohm probably believed running the ball would burn more clock but lead to three-and-outs. He chose to be aggressive and lean on what his team does best: throw the ball. It didn't work, so he'll have to live with the consequences, but I didn't hate the decision, even if I didn't entirely agree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Brohm deserves some criticism for his play calling down the stretch.

I think it really boils down to not trusting the run game to pick up the first down there. If he runs the ball, PSU will use their timeouts and we likely still go 3 and out. What decided the game was that brutal 14 point swing at the half. That wasn’t on Brohm. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

2. People are going to question Purdue's late play-calling 

Purdue took a 31-28 lead on Chris Jefferson's pick six with 8:29 left in the game. The Boilermakers had two more possessions and chances to burn the clock, but ran 11 plays for 26 yards and, more importantly, only 3:43 off the clock. The Boilermakers called 13 passing plays to only one rush (two were called back on penalties), and the incompletions allowed Penn State to conserve timeouts.

Obviously, Purdue coach Jeff Brohm will be second-guessed, and I understand why. That said, I also understand Brohm's thought process. Purdue's rushing attack averaged a nation's worst 2.79 yards per carry last season. Against Penn State it improved to 4.1 per carry (not including sacks). Brohm probably believed running the ball would burn more clock but lead to three-and-outs. He chose to be aggressive and lean on what his team does best: throw the ball. It didn't work, so he'll have to live with the consequences, but I didn't hate the decision, even if I didn't entirely agree.

If he ran the ball multiple times and we got stuffed, people would complain that we weren’t aggressive and should’ve tried for a first down. I’m fine with him trusting Aidan there over the run game. 

Edited by Stlboiler23