Week 1: Illinois Pre Game Thread

BeerBQ

2 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I know it’s a bit early, but I’m sure I’m not the only one looking at this game. Illinois starts their season 8/27 at home against Wyoming. 

What’s on the tailgate menu for everyone? 

Grilled chicken thighs, smoked queso. Lotssssss of beer.  

My gut it telling me that Tuttle is going to be the starting QB. After watching his fall camp Q & A press conference from last night, I got the feeling he was trying to build up how hard both have worked and ultimately the "buck stopped with him".... I got the impression that he knows that a lot of fans probably don't want Jack to be the starter and may be disappointed with is decision. JMHO....

Go IU!

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Adding jalapeno jelly, cream cheese, and crackers to this, as well. 

How do you make the crackers? Is this a stadium or home tailgate? Smoked queso is always good. My biggest tip on it is to add some evaporated milk to keep it from clumping. 

4 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

How do you make the crackers? Is this a stadium or home tailgate? Smoked queso is always good. My biggest tip on it is to add some evaporated milk to keep it from clumping. 

I usually add just regular milk. Add some, as I see fit, as it cooks. 

This is a home tailgate. 

To make the crackers... I start my car and drive to JayC. lol Sorry, that was too easy for me. BUT... the peppers, onions, and "rotel" that will go in the smoked queso will all be from our home garden. Kind of cool for my wife and I haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve decided we’re doing grilled chicken parm sliders and mojo pork sliders. 

It looks like now Illinois is only -10.5 against Wyoming and +3.5 against IU next week. It will be interesting to see if that moves. 

If IU runs any no huddle offense will we be accused of cheating?

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/bret-bielema-not-fan-no-huddle-offense-proposes-190813554.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKiYvhlYmMMIs3MtiRjtX2OtgB9lVN-doSwKynAmT8vo08dCK1KoO30qbcSl8mGk2tTqOAn1Ne2JUVbH2k2zXHFjukwx-u4tuXLNQx-u5tIfXg-PJGOTbxQ2CY48QAcelOVC-s6sYF3EEj0xTkJDKc8Qv1YqUsTkdTzbGk17tBH2

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I’ve decided we’re doing grilled chicken parm sliders and mojo pork sliders. 

It looks like now Illinois is only -10.5 against Wyoming and +3.5 against IU next week. It will be interesting to see if that moves. 

If IU runs any no huddle offense will we be accused of cheating?

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/bret-bielema-not-fan-no-huddle-offense-proposes-190813554.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKiYvhlYmMMIs3MtiRjtX2OtgB9lVN-doSwKynAmT8vo08dCK1KoO30qbcSl8mGk2tTqOAn1Ne2JUVbH2k2zXHFjukwx-u4tuXLNQx-u5tIfXg-PJGOTbxQ2CY48QAcelOVC-s6sYF3EEj0xTkJDKc8Qv1YqUsTkdTzbGk17tBH2

I'm a pretty big fan of sliders. Not too many times have I eaten those and been disappointed. Good call. 

Anyone else feel like this is must win territory even for week 1? I know plenty of things to play out but looking at the schedule. For us to get to bowl eligibility....with what I see so far....means this one is definitely a much needed win. 

Regarding food. Party pans from His Place Eatery. Chicken, Ribs, beans, cole slaw and an unhealthy amount of Coors Light to kick the Labor Day off right.

Edited by Seeking6

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

I usually add just regular milk. Add some, as I see fit, as it cooks. 

This is a home tailgate. 

To make the crackers... I start my car and drive to JayC. lol Sorry, that was too easy for me. BUT... the peppers, onions, and "rotel" that will go in the smoked queso will all be from our home garden. Kind of cool for my wife and I haha. 

I loled at the drive to jay c.  

But further explain this smoked queso.  What cheese?  Block of white velveeta? 

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I loled at the drive to jay c.  

But further explain this smoked queso.  What cheese?  Block of white velveeta? 

Yep.

-2lbs of regular Velveeta, cubed. 

-2lbs burger or sausage, I cook it on my blackstone before putting it in the pan with velveeta.. (this time I'm going to go 1 of each)

-Diced onions, red and green peppers, jalapeños all raw, plus plenty of minced garlic (I use the stuff you can buy a huge container of)

-2 10oz rotels

-8oz bag of Mexican shredded cheese 

-1/2 can of beer 

-put all that in a pan with the meat, some milk in.. a little cayenne on it.... probably will need to add some milk as you go and stir. 

-cover it... smoker at 250. Let it rip!

Edited by btownqb
  • Thanks 1

Guess I’ll add my two cents. Obviously you have your staples like pizza and wings but if I’m cooking it’s baby back ribs or pulled pork sliders or homemade cheese steaks. If we are entertaining then it’s something simple like wings and of course chili, seven layer dip, ranch, chips and her famous sausage wontons….dang they are soo good. Something similar to this…. And yes….typically can’t poop for a couple days lol

FDDA6B4A-FA4F-4B59-84AC-3188BFEAE2F7.jpeg

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3