NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

The article linked in the Tweet brings up some interesting points about how NIL is bringing individuals outside the purview of the AD into relationships with the school that could have an adverse impact on the school itself.  In this case, HH does some things that could be seen as offensive, they definitely have some cringe content, and they also have what appears to be some pretty close connections with IU's AD.

From a player perspective, money is money.  However, is there also damage to the brand that these guys may be doing that the school is sanctioning?  And Woodson's daughter works for one of these guys?  Blurred lines.

15 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The article linked in the Tweet brings up some interesting points about how NIL is bringing individuals outside the purview of the AD into relationships with the school that could have an adverse impact on the school itself.  In this case, HH does some things that could be seen as offensive, they definitely have some cringe content, and they also have what appears to be some pretty close connections with IU's AD.

From a player perspective, money is money.  However, is there also damage to the brand that these guys may be doing that the school is sanctioning?  And Woodson's daughter works for one of these guys?  Blurred lines.

I would rather have some other people representing IU than these clowns

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think for me, it’s them being what, in their mid 40’s?, acting like this. Comes off as extremely cringey and I’d say the same thing if Purdue had two guys doing similar things. Just odd behavior. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think for me, it’s them being what, in their mid 40’s?, acting like this. Comes off as extremely cringey and I’d say the same thing if Purdue had two guys doing similar things. Just odd behavior. 

Yeah, they're a couple frat boys (with middle school level maturity) who never grew up. The messaging to potential recruits and their families is way outside the lines and very uncomfortable. It's one thing if they want to trade off of this schtick, but as the writer says, they have gotten way too close to the athletic department to portray the university in this way. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, they're a couple frat boys (with middle school level maturity) who never grew up. The messaging to potential recruits and their families is way outside the lines and very uncomfortable. It's one thing if they want to trade off of this schtick, but as the writer says, they have gotten way too close to the athletic department to portray the university in this way. 

Whole heartedly agree with this. But my question is "why did the athletic dept let them get this close in the first place?" Esp now that there is some history of their antics.

My understanding is that they have media credentials now. That's absurd IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DWB said:

Whole heartedly agree with this. But my question is "why did the athletic dept let them get this close in the first place?" Esp now that there is some history of their antics.

My understanding is that they have media credentials now. That's absurd IMO.

How’d they get media credentials?! There was a Purdue fanboy/blogger that’s on a site called hammer and rails and it was a similarish situation. I think he had media credentials back in the day but lost them. I remember at times certain media outlets referred to him as an official Purdue sports source when he was nothing more than a blogger/fanboy lol. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

GET OFF MY LAWN....Lighten up Francis. These guys have checked everything out with the NCAA and IU compliance. I dont see you guys bitching digging into your pockets to help NIL.

They have a podcast. Same media as Daily Hoosier, peegs, Inside the Hall. None worthy but all have them.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Whats cringey is you on an IU board 8 hours a day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I don't get all the hand-wringing about HH. If they don't fit your fancy, don't give them your attention.

They are bringing players and fans together for more interactive experiences -- how is that bad? 

There's way too much negativity and stone throwing towards others and what they've built. Why take it so serious?

It's fandom, and we all/each get to experience it in our own ways. It's clear by the turnout at Fan Fest that people appreciated what HH created. I don't see the need to crap on them just because they wear silly suits and proclaim their excitement in a boisterous way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don't get all the hand-wringing about HH. If they don't fit your fancy, don't give them your attention.

They are bringing players and fans together for more interactive experiences -- how is that bad? 

There's way too much negativity and stone throwing towards others and what they've built. Why take it so serious?

It's fandom, and we all/each get to experience it in our own ways. It's clear by the turnout at Fan Fest that people appreciated what HH created. I don't see the need to crap on them just because they wear silly suits and proclaim their excitement in a boisterous way.

Plenty of ppl complaining don't even have twitter, so idk how they could even "annoy them" or whatever. So what someone enjoys life more than you, leave them alone. I'm with you. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'll take the Hysterics guys over 95% of our fanbase. That is probably a low-ball # too. Some of you root for ONE sport at IU. 🤣

The one guy every time we sign a recruit he lights up a cigar and posts a youtube video. He cracks me up. Hell they got Coach Knight to come to the Bluebird of all places.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'll take the Hysterics guys over 95% of our fanbase. That is probably a low-ball # too. Some of you root for ONE sport at IU. 🤣

Thank you.  I mean, nobody questions that the guys at the Rivals site have media credentials, and the garbage they allow on their message boards is far more embarrassing  to IU than anything HH does.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

GET OFF MY LAWN....Lighten up Francis. These guys have checked everything out with the NCAA and IU compliance. I dont see you guys bitching digging into your pockets to help NIL.

Maybe you should get your eyes checked....

5 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

It’s 2022. I think HH intentions are fantastic, but lots of weirdness as well. Hope everyone is doing well!

Kind of reminds me of the Savannah bananas.  Sort of slightly embarrassing behaviors for grown men.  Pretty sure there was a recruit that got turned off by them about this time last year.  Can't remember who that was?  Did we wind up getting them after all? 

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Kind of reminds me of the Savannah bananas.  Sort of slightly embarrassing behaviors for grown men.  Pretty aure there was a recruit that got turned off by them about this time last year.  Can't remember who that was?  Did we wound up getting them after all? 

Fears. Used to be a video from Twitter 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

Fears. Used to be a video from Twitter 

The video with Fears is linked in the article that is embedded in that Tweet.

I think some of what they do is good.  The event they did is a fun showcase where the players can make some money.  Some of their stuff is highly juvenile for mid-40's guys.  If they could rein in some of the goofiness a bit, they would be fine.

I can’t believe I actually read that, which was just a hit piece from a dude with 2k twitter followers. Ok, we get it, the author of the article doesn’t like HH. He writes an opinion piece and thinks he deserves a cookie. Bravo. Some people like ‘immature’ humor. Some don’t. Conan O’Brien made a career out of masturbating bears and dog puppets who insult people on the street. 

The fact is, this dude can’t draw a line from the HH guys to a recruit not choosing us. Trying to make a point with that Jeremy Fears video was laughable. You can however (as he even points out) point to all the good HH has done/is doing for IU athletics. If they are ‘bothering’ or ‘offending’ so many people then why do players, former players, coaches continue to go on their show multiple times? And don’t say it’s because they wield power with NIL - they made these relationships before NIL was even a thing. 

The mark of a poor opinion piece is when the author preemptively predicts objections to their article and still can’t adequately defend those objections. Way to draw a line in the sand, brah. So I gotta ask, what’s the point?

I already know what tweets I’ll get after this is published:

Why are you whining so much about two guys who love IU and are trying support it?

Stop being so negative

Why are you trying to cancel them?

C’mon it’s not like they’ve done anything that bad, what was the point of writing this?

They’re just two guys having fun on Twitter, what’s wrong with that?

I’ve seen enough Dan Dakich thread replies to know what’s coming. Here’s what I’ll say to those rebuttals so I don’t have to respond to all of you individiaully:

• To my knowledge, nothing the Hysterics have done or said is unethical or offensive -just weird and distasteful, which is obviously not as severe
  • Yes, what they are doing with the NIL Collective took an enormous amount of effort, initiative and at this point seems like a great idea
  • I do understand that if I don’t like their brand of comedy I could just ignore it
  • And I think what they’re doing would pretty much be perfect if they just eased up on the cringy content

• Like 2

I imagine a conversation going like this.  Recruit A asks Trayce, "what's up with these dudes?"  Trayce, "oh they are kinda goofy, we just take some pictures with them and make money.  Kinda annoying but at least we get paid.  They are connected with so and so, that's why they have access." Recruit A, "oh cool, as long as we get paid." 

• Like 3