NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

On 9/24/2022 at 1:59 PM, IUFLA said:

Indiana NIL Store is open

Made my first purchase today...

image.png.4c09b718747853e04795f5e7d9a16f9e.png

Small token of my esteem for Trayce coming back...

Got my shirt... When I ordered it, I saw it was 100% cotton so I ordered a size up... I'd recommend anyone else that buys one do the same... I'm season ready now! PXL_20221001_172723791.thumb.jpg.128bf2d657a9aa320dce1619757e8c59.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

On 9/23/2022 at 8:31 AM, tdhoosier said:

I will just say that I listen to a lot of podcasts where hosts talk about themselves. I’m invested in some of these personal stories and others not so much. For the latter I exercise my right to the fast forward button to get to the meat (I use it occasionally on the HH podcasts). What makes them successful is also what makes them controversial. If they ride the line, they risk becoming bland and stale. And whether Eric is from Hollywood or Poughkeepsie, he’s the producer for Car Pool Karaoke and was the Senior Vice President for creative and development at the WWE. Who cares where he’s from, he has legit experience in this sort of thing….and he’s using that experience to help our program and the players. Not to mention, their unreciprocated promotion of Bloomington’s local restaurants and businesses. 

I think if their antics turn too many people off, and it has a negative effect on their podcast or their events, I’m sure they’re smart enough to adapt and change. If not, they’ll fade away. And for better or worse, that’s the way entertainment works. Not everybody has to like their approach. All that said, I think asking IU Management to influence their content is a bad thing. 

Man, I don’t come close to seeing your view on this.  They are hosting things at Assembly Hall and taking positions on IU’s behalf.  IU has every right to expect decorum from them.   I complimented their skills on eliciting good responses in their podcasts and I like their forays into the NIL world.  But that doesn’t mean they can’t dial back on the idiocy and buffoonery and IU has every right to expect that.  

There are not a couple of alumni that think this way.  There are obviously a ton of alumni tired of their sophomoric, unfunny, schtick that makes IU look bad.   The win-win is they stick to what they do well and dispense with the antics that fall short.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2022 at 2:24 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I'm sure it comes as no surprise but I'm permanently banned from Twitter. So is my wife, well her email account is anyway. 

Do that many people really use it?

I guess around 217 million daily users, 400 million over all.  77 million in the us.  Not aure the daily active amount, thought it was around 30 million.  I have an account but only so I can open links without fail.  Actually hate the user experience of user.  

My personal feelings on twitter and the likes are they are massively manipulated by bots and even foreign entities and would like for nothing less than to see the American people divided.  Actually probably nothing foreign about it.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 5

On 10/1/2022 at 2:24 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I'm sure it comes as no surprise but I'm permanently banned from Twitter. So is my wife, well her email account is anyway. 

Do that many people really use it?

I never got banned, but then I never posted tweets. I tried to follow people I liked and unsubscribe or block everything else. Even after doing that it was so toxic that finally gave up and deleted my account. I never started with Facebook for the same reasons. That and privacy concerns. Anonymous platforms seem to bring out the lowest common denominator of humanity.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I never got banned, but then I never posted tweets. I tried to follow people I liked and unsubscribe or block everything else. Even after doing that it was so toxic that finally gave up and deleted my account. I never started with Facebook for the same reasons. That and privacy concerns. Anonymous platforms seem to bring out the lowest common denominator of humanity.

You mean anonymous platforms like HSN?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, cthomas said:

It's not only toxic, so much of it is just blatantly false.  If you are getting your news from Twitter, it's definitely buyer beware.

...but yeah...people are just nasty on that platform...say things they'd never have the courage to say in person.  If they did, this country would be in the 2nd civil war by now.

47 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's not only toxic, so much of it is just blatantly false.

Agree.

Some people are only happy when they can make other people unhappy.  That defines so much of the Twitter user base.

I've known people like this.  If everyone around them is doing great, that person is miserable.  If they can cause everyone else to be miserable, they're on top of the world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Agree.

Some people are only happy when they can make other people unhappy.  That defines so much of the Twitter user base.

I've known people like this.  If everyone around them is doing great, that person is miserable.  If they can cause everyone else to be miserable, they're on top of the world.

He definitely was not that guy, but in memory…

”Top of the world, ma!!!”

VBG!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Dolson sent an email yesterday.... asking for donations to NIL ..... 

So... lemme get this straight-- you just signed a TV contract that is going to up your profits to 80-100 million a year, you charge insane prices at events for concessions, IU itself is worth over $3 billion, but yet... we, the fans, have to shell out more money for these athletes to have NIL money? lol 

Like I get it.. I'm sure I'm going to hear the "well that money isn't allowed to go there" BS lines, and whatever about that. But it is laughable to hear those numbers and then get emails like that from university athletic directors. Out of touch with reality would be a good way to describe an email like that. 

I think I would prefer these athletes to be university employees. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dolson sent an email yesterday.... asking for donations to NIL ..... 

So... lemme get this straight-- you just signed a TV contract that is going to up your profits to 80-100 million a year, you charge insane prices at events for concessions, IU itself is worth over $3 billion, but yet... we, the fans, have to shell out more money for these athletes to have NIL money? lol 

Like I get it.. I'm sure I'm going to hear the "well that money isn't allowed to go there" BS lines, and whatever about that. But it is laughable to hear those numbers and then get emails like that from university athletic directors. Out of touch with reality would be a good way to describe an email like that. 

I think I would prefer these athletes to be university employees. 

I assume it's tied to this $1M matching donation?

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2022/11/14/anonymous-donor-commits-1-million-in-matching-funds-for-nil-donations-made-to-hoosiers-for-good-or-nil-sponsorships-memberships-made-with-hoosiers-connect-by-december-31

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Umm.. that donation was brought up in that email. I am confused what you mean by "tied to the $1M donation?" 

7 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I know how he could of saved himself and the university 25 million bucks!

Exactly.   

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/06/19/indiana-university-using-big-ten-network-money-more-than-just-athletics/1357099001/

That money shod go right back to the athletic budget and bringing recruits by any legal means possible. 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2022 at 1:54 PM, NotIThatLives said:

Exactly.   

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/06/19/indiana-university-using-big-ten-network-money-more-than-just-athletics/1357099001/

That money shod go right back to the athletic budget and bringing recruits by any legal means possible. 

Why though?  The argument has always been that the sports teams drive money to the school, I think at a certain point that well is going to run dry though.  

This whole thing has really gotten to a point where you have to question the sanity of the system.  "Athletics brings in a bunch of money" that all gets recycled back to athletics, to the point where we are now donating so that guys like Race Thompson can get six figure pay days.

All the money these kids make gets recycled back right to the few hundred? kids in athletics.  This isn't NIL, this is pay for play.  The whole system is a joke.  And if we happen to benefit from it on the basketball side, who cares, it is still a joke.

Under this model, can anyone argue with a straight face that this somehow advances the mission of the Universities?  I can't.  These should all turn into Euro style clubs and the academics should walk away from the whole mess.  None of these guys is worth six figures at this level without the school's name across their chest.  There is nobody lining up to pay Race Thompson 6 figures to play basketball if INDIANA (University) isn't on his uniform.  The schools are too chicken to do it, but they should call the bluff and start shutting down the programs.  I guarantee that there wouldn't be much change to the normal students at all.

• Like 3