Who is the Best Returning Point Guard in the Big 10?

Who is the Best Returning Point Guard in the Big 10?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Best Returning Point Guard in the Big 10?

• Xavier Johnson (IU)
    • Chucky Hepburn (Wisconsin)
    • Paul Mulcahy (Rutgers)
    • AJ Hoggard (Michigan State)
    • Boo Buie (Northwestern)
    • Jalen Picket (Penn St)

This is only for RETURNING Big 10 PGs. I did not include transfers or freshmen. I also didn't include anyone from Iowa because I don't consider Tony Perkins a PG, and Ahron Ulis and Connor McCaffery don't quite stack up...

Stats from last year...

image.thumb.png.d25b9f28772644ce249c722af56f5bac.png

Edited by IUFLA

By elimination:

Wisconsin's Hepburn is out because of his 1:1 Assist / Turnover ratio.  Gotta be around 2:1 or better.

MSU's Hoggard is out because of 22% from three and 63% free throws.

None of the remaining four players jump out as clearly the best.  Chemistry, leadership, work ethic, making other players better.  All those things factor in. 

• Like 2

X was starting to put it all together if it wasn't for his speeding incident this one wouldn't even be a question.  I still believe the pieces are all together for him he just had a little hiccup in the wiring of his brain.  I'd be shocked if he's anything less than second team Big ten.  

Baker and Harper gone so Mulcahy's going to get a lot of attention.  I like him as a player and would love him on this team but i think when his usage goes through the roof his efficiency will go down.  

• Like 2

I'm going with XJ based on his play the last few weeks of last season and what he has to work with vs someone like Buie at NW. 

End of last season XJ was playing like a Big Ten 1st Team guy, and he has arguably the most talent around him for a point guard to utilize. 

• Like 4

Voted for XJ.  Not to be a homer but looking at his stat line, he is solid across the board.  He scores, he distributes, pretty decent on shooting percentages in comparison to the others.  Decent at the foul line.

You could make a case for some of the other guys but X has a pretty solid stat line.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's also worth mentioning.... XJ is, at least, an above avg defender. And when he stays out of foul trouble he is probably more like a "VERY GOOD" defender. 

I thought he was our best on the ball defender... At least Rob Phinisee's equal....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought he was our best on the ball defender... At least Rob Phinisee's equal....

Concur. He's VERY long for 6'3 and absurdly quick. I'm a fan. 

I don't want to watch his immature crap from early on last year, but... yeah, dude can play. I hope that has been alleviated. (it was miles better by the end of the year)

• Like 5

On 8/26/2022 at 2:06 PM, NotIThatLives said:

Baker and Harper gone so Mulcahy's going to get a lot of attention.  I like him as a player and would love him on this team but i think when his usage goes through the roof his efficiency will go down.  

That's a good point. Over this three seasons, his shooting % has decreased each year, as his shot attempts have increased. That's with those other guys around him, too. 

• 4 weeks later...