Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Hey a win is a win. Still think you guys were extremely fortunate that they didn’t give Illinois that TD in the first half.  Seemed pretty clear it was a catch. But that was a heck of a drive at the end to win it. Sometimes you have to mix in some luck!

Also UI not kicking the FG instead of going for it helped as well

40 minutes ago, IUguy said:

After the stellar offense in the second half, I didn’t think they had it in them.  But, they did!  Go IU!  And find a running game before next week’s game.

They stacked the box all night. The mistake was running the ball at all. But you have to to keep them from teeing off. That was a big fast physical team. Their D, like ours will keep them in a few games. Their O, not so much.

• Like 2

This was a very big and much needed swagger game for our defense. You could see the momentum as the game progressed. Chase Brown ran all over us, but when it was time to really clamp down, our boys did it. Give major credit to Cam Jones -- what a leader. I saw dudes flying around and making plays. Definitely the fastest collective group I've seen in a while.

Offense left a lot to be desired *cough* running game *cough*, but our receiving corp is actually very intriguing. Lots of effective pieces. Camper is solid (although Karma is a bitch) and DJ seems to have his speed back. Nice to see him get a TD.

Not pretty, but definitely a positive step in the right direction.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I should have learned not to post during games because you let frustration clouds your judgement 

For about 58 minutes the criticism was warranted.

It was a good job to find a way to eke out a win against a conference opponent in our first game with a bunch of new pieces on the field for the first time.  We have 2 games to work out the kinks and see what we've got before what appears to be a big test at Cincinnati.

We did not play well but still won a winnable game.  This program doesn't really have the luxury of complaining about style points with how hard wins have been to come by historically (particularly in conference games).  A W is a W as far as I am concerned, even if it was error filled and ugly.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

They stacked the box all night. The mistake was running the ball at all. But you have to to keep them from teeing off. That was a big fast physical team. Their D, like ours will keep them in a few games. Their O, not so much.

This. 

... plus, QB missed an obvious "give" that would have been a big play on our 2nd Off play of the game and  RBs missed multiple other cuts.

The pass pro was actually pretty solid.

• Like 1

I actually was pretty impressed with what I saw from Illinois. BB has improved them tremendously in short order. Maybe it's the Al Davis in me but I wish we took some more shots downfield. 

All in all it's a week 1 win with new players, QB, coaches vs a Big 10 team. I'll take it and now we can catch our breath a little and hope some of the injuries aren't severe.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Close W over a very bad team.  I’ll take it, could be few and far between.

I don’t think they are as bad as you think! Illinois’ RB is probably top 10 in the nation and top 2 in the BIG 10. They are going to surprise some teams and win some games. We may be looking back later in this season and find out that this was a huge win. 

• Like 7