Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

I don’t think they are as bad as you think! Illinois’ RB is probably top 10 in the nation and top 2 in the BIG 10. They are going to surprise some teams and win some games. We may be looking back later in this season and find out that this was a huge win. 

Maybe it was the beer but it just hit me. Isiah Williams for them was the former big time QB commit they got under Lovie but he switched to WR......Lord where is my brain. Maybe the same can happen with us and McCulley.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I don’t think they are as bad as you think! Illinois’ RB is probably top 10 in the nation and top 2 in the BIG 10. They are going to surprise some teams and win some games. We may be looking back later in this season and find out that this was a huge win. 

Absolutely not a bad team. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I forgot to mention….. I love watching the complete melt down of a small group of rude, mouthy and arrogant Illini fans three rows in front of us last night!!!! Ohhh, it was PRICELESS! 

As my 2 Illini buddies said....30 years worth of nut punches we should be used to this. 

• Haha 1

Well, full credit to the perseverance of Allen, the team, and the staff. You can question and criticize things at times, but you can never question the heart and grit. I was so disgusted with the offense/run game through three and a half quarters (and just flat sleepy too), that I succumbed and turned off. Only to wake this AM and view the remainder - a totally unexpected, miracle-finish victory. We looked so anemic offensively I thought there was no way despite IL's inability to put us out of striking distance. Well, I was dead wrong and I'm elated! 

B1G victory drought vanquished. D that last quarter was dominant. Playing 60 was awesome. Kicking game looks good and Matthews and Camper looked gave some hope in the WR room. Now, how much of the positives are partially to mostly due to IL's ineptitude down the stretch and/or the non-catch ruling against them in the 1st have that would have been a TD? 

The mission was accomplished in cardiac-kid fashion. The game was a must win. But there are serious concerns when we get to the teeth of a tough schedule with looked like a carbon copy of last year's o-line. No run game is an ominous portent of being dismantled against good teams. Enjoying the wild win and hoping (agains hope?) for improvement in trenches on O.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

This. 

... plus, QB missed an obvious "give" that would have been a big play on our 2nd Off play of the game and  RBs missed multiple other cuts.

The pass pro was actually pretty solid.

Agreed on the pass protection...Last year we were rarely able to provide time to setup and throw...we threw over fifty times and most often had time for a play to develop

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Agreed on the pass protection...Last year we were rarely able to provide time to setup and throw...we threw over fifty times and most often had time for a play to develop

Yep. 

We will add to the offense. More jet sweeps, more jet actions. More RB screens. 

RBs gotta do their part, more. They flat out missed some cuts that were there. "Seams" if you will. 

Week 1s can be crazy. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I can't tell everyone how important this is/was,etc.....and she knows her stuff too. One of her previous stops she always asked for stat sheet at halftime. Just having a President out there like that is why Mitch was so good at Purdue....and why I believe President Whitten will be so good for us.

• Like 3