Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What will it take to change that in your opinion?

I'll give mine, and it's going to be wildly unpopular:

Disallow tailgating once the game has started.  There's too much of a culture at IU built up around never leaving the tailgate.

When people leave at halftime, they aren't going home...

Just now, rogue3542 said:

I'll give mine, and it's going to be wildly unpopular:

Disallow tailgating once the game has started.  There's too much of a culture at IU built up around never leaving the tailgate.

When people leave at halftime, they aren't going home...

I think that’s a great idea but I wonder how receptive folks would be. 

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Also.. and I really dont care how judgemental this sounds and I don't care if this offends anyone here... 

If you left that game early last night, you should be ashamed. 

We were never down more than 4 points!!!! It makes no sense. Zero. Carry on. 

Pretty embarrassing. I saw people leaving right before we got the ball back at the end of the game. You kidding me?

Team deserves better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m legit curious but when was the last time you were there?

I'm there every year to go to a game with my friends (I'm from The Region - nearly all my friends went to Purdue).  Sometimes I'm there twice when the Bucket Game is at Purdue.

It stinks beyond comprehension about half the time - it really depends on which way the wind is blowing.

I'll give you that it's Tate and Lyle that's about 90% responsible for the smell.

https://www.purdueexponent.org/city_state/article_652ff412-e253-11eb-b472-e346903f54a1.html

Beyond that, the campus is just boring and, in the winter, downright depressing.

Purdue has a lot things going for it; campus aesthetics ain't it.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:55 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

No offense but objectively it’s a lousy campus. No IU goggles on but it’s just not nice.  

I will second that…. I dated a girl for about a semester, a year after I graduated HS. She was an Alpha Phi at Purdue. I was at IU and I would come up and visit her on the weekends. I always thought then and still do…..” How could anyone want to live on this ugly campus, let alone go to Purdue?!”

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Pretty embarrassing. I saw people leaving right before we got the ball back at the end of the game. You kidding me?

Team deserves better.

This team will deserve better when they win games and in return they’ll get better. It’s pretty simple. Also, you’re going to have this no matter what when you agree to a 8pm kickoff and games take 4+ hours. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I'm there every year to go to a game with my friends (I'm from The Region - nearly all my friends went to Purdue).  Sometimes I'm there twice when the Bucket Game is at Purdue.

It stinks beyond comprehension about half the time - it really depends on which way the wind is blowing.

I'll give you that it's Tate and Lyle that's about 90% responsible for the smell.

https://www.purdueexponent.org/city_state/article_652ff412-e253-11eb-b472-e346903f54a1.html

Beyond that, the campus is just boring and, in the winter, downright depressing.

Purdue has a lot things going for it; campus aesthetics ain't it.

That’s fair. But campus has improved a ton since I graduated 12 years ago. Still work to do but it’s gotten so much better especially on State Street. 

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Also.. and I really dont care how judgemental this sounds and I don't care if this offends anyone here... 

If you left that game early last night, you should be ashamed. 

We were never down more than 4 points!!!! It makes no sense. Zero. Carry on. 

Amen to that, I felt ashamed last year leaving at halftime against OSU being down 44-7 in a down pour

6 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

This team will deserve better when they win games and in return they’ll get better. It’s pretty simple. Also, you’re going to have this no matter what when you agree to a 8pm kickoff and games take 4+ hours. 

Lol then don't go to the game/games. Lameeeeee. Down 17-16 the ENTIRE half. 

I understand having things to do and not going to games, 100%, I get that. Leaving early is weird, once you're there, in ANY sort of close game. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

It is a Friday night so where else do you have to be.  It is not like they were going home to go to sleep 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Lol then don't go to the game/games. Lameeeeee. Down 17-16 the ENTIRE half. 

I understand having things to do and not going to games, 100%, I get that. Leaving early is weird, once you're there, in ANY sort of close game. 

I didn’t go to the game and thus I didn’t leave early. I agree and don’t like to leave games early but I understand why people would leave that particular game at midnight. If I wasn’t three time zones away, I might have turned it off myself. It was painful to watch until finally it wasn’t 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I didn’t go to the game and thus I didn’t leave early. I agree and don’t like to leave games early but I understand why people would leave that particular game at midnight. If I wasn’t three time zones away, I might have turned it off myself. It was painful to watch until finally it wasn’t 

I wasn't meaning "you". Sorry. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is a Friday night so where else do you have to be.  It is not like they were going home to go to sleep 

Lol, well when I was in school, literally anywhere other than Memorial Stadium would have been an massive upgrade. IU football was utterly unwatchable post the Randle El era. We’re coming off a 2 win season. Fan loyalty is earned, not entitled. 
Edit: Unless you’re Purdue, those fans show up regardless because it’s either that or go to a frat party featuring a 10-1 guy girl ratio or choking down sh*tty free hotdogs at Jakes…worst campus party/bar scene in America 

Edited by Hoosier82

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

Lol, well when I was in school, literally anywhere other than Memorial Stadium would have been an massive upgrade. IU football was utterly unwatchable post the Randle El era. We’re coming off a 2 win season. Fan loyalty is earned, not entitled. 

If you go to the game then stay until the end of it is a close game.  If you don't care about the game then don't go at all.  You wonder why IU football can't compete, part of it is the lack of fan support.  So it is a chicken or the egg discussion.  Do you have to win to get the support or you need the support to win.

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

I don’t know why we have the most stuck up fanbase of all time but being in the game with two minutes left and the ball against a Big Ten team at the season opener is not the scenario fans should be leaving under. 

I don’t care what the history or the situation is. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I wonder if there are ways to try to keep the students at the stadium for the whole game? Any renovations coming up that could address that?

This was a clever way to ask how we can bribe fan's to be ... solid fans...with more shiny bells, whistles and trinkets. 

Those are not the type fans a team need. 

I actually appreciate your Canadian level smack talk, dontcha know.

57 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Edit: Unless you’re Purdue, those fans show up regardless because it’s either that or go to a frat party featuring a 10-1 guy girl ratio or choking down sh*tty free hotdogs at Jakes…worst campus party/bar scene in America 

Jake’s has been closed for years lol. Bar scene definitely isn’t good and has a long way to go. 

31 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

I don’t know why we have the most stuck up fanbase of all time but being in the game with two minutes left and the ball against a Big Ten team at the season opener is not the scenario fans should be leaving under. 

I don’t care what the history or the situation is. 

Shouldn't the question be "Why don't people care?".   Because that's why they're leaving early.  They're not invested fans, if you even choose to call them fans.  Most might care more if IU had some positive football history leading to football tradition.  IU doesn't.  In my humble opinion...the lack of winning over many years is the issue why many folks don't hang to the end.