Week #2 - Idaho pregame......

What say you?

I will take the first stab..... Illinois' game plan was to take away the run and expose IU's pass game with a new, QB. IMO, Idaho will most definitely focus on reducing Bazelak's ability to pass at a high % as well as completion %'s. HOPEFULLY, (in theory)...this should lead for more opportunities to see IU's run game.

I have a sneaky feeling that Shivers may have a better game this weekend..... With that being said, Shivers has stated that he is downhill back. His "low to the ground" presence is an advantage, but he has to get a whole long enough for him to do that. I would like to see all our RB's instinctively, bouncing outside once in a while to try to find more a few more yards. 

Edited by Artesian_86

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Even if Shivers and the running game improves this week, I have my doubts about it over the course of the season.  It is Idaho, after all. 

Shivers is capable, just not sure the O-Line is.

Here's what I don't understand.....The O-line did a good job of protecting Bazelak long enough to find open receivers..(way longer that last year). Why couldn't we hold a couple of blocks long enough for Shivers to spit through for at least 5 yards....?

Will one of you big football guys explain or break down this idea I have? If you're shooting guard can't shoot worth a lick you hope one of your other wings or even one of your bags can shoot the ball if you really need to set him up in position to get a set shot to make a three-point basket.  So if you're running backs aren't good enough or whatever the reason is to make a play why wouldn't we get them into the passing game?  Make the rb a threat to catch the ball out in the flats or do we need them to be in there blocking that badly that they can't release out? 

Edited by NotIThatLives

17 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Here's what I don't understand.....The O-line did a good job of protecting Bazelak long enough to find open receivers..(way longer that last year). Why couldn't we hold a couple of blocks long enough for Shivers to spit through for at least 5 yards....?

Think the Marino led Miami Dolphins.  The Fish had a great passing game but couldn't run the ball.

• Like 1

I don't see us lining up and smashing the ball up the middle against anyone with our current personnel and line coach. We need movement,  misdirection,  and speed to move the ball on the ground. Jet sweeps, screens, and getting receivers involved will probably be necessary. We'll learn much more over the next few weeks. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

We were out numbered in the box the whole night. 

And because we lost our best run blocking OL. 

Edited by btownqb

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Will one of you big football guys explain or break down this idea I have? If you're shooting guard can't shoot worth a lick you hope one of your other wings or even one of your bags can shoot the ball if you really need to set him up in position to get a set shot to make a three-point basket.  So if you're running backs aren't good enough or whatever the reason is to make a play why wouldn't we get them into the passing game?  Make the rb a threat to catch the ball out in the flats or do we need them to be in there blocking that badly that they can't release out? 

Well.. Shivers dropped a pass. 

I also think most of you were expecting quite a bit out of our offense vs. A Big Ten opponent week 1, that had already played, with a new QB/RB/WR core/lost its best OL in the first half. 

We will undoubtedly add wrinkles to our offense. A passing game to the RBs might be one of those additions. We ran a fair amount WR screens, we ran one jet that was absolutely stuffed because of one poor block and not the best mesh to get the handoff. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

We did motion him out some on our last drive, and I liked that. 

Just hard to do that if there is a possibility they bring 6 guys.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I also remember when Bedford was thrust into that position due to injury. He came in green, but quickly turned into a major OL player. 

I mean, I'm not in love with where the running game was Friday, but I'm hoping we can scheme ourselves into better position vs that defense the rest of the year. We will undoubtedly see it again. 

You can tell ILL plays in the West, though, that coverage isn't working vs. Ohio St and Penn St. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I mean, I'm not in love with where the running game was Friday, but I'm hoping we can scheme ourselves into better position vs that defense the rest of the year. We will undoubtedly see it again. 

You can tell ILL plays in the West, though, that coverage isn't working vs. Ohio St and Penn St. 

I would just like our RBs to do a little more bouncing off, spin or cut backs when they see early enough that their “hole/assignment” has closed. 3/4 of their D was crashing the box so if we could find a way to redirect and get outside, wide for more yardage. What would I know? I’m just a HS teacher.🤓😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I would just like our RBs to do a little more bouncing off, spin or cut backs when they see early enough that their “hole/assignment” has closed. 3/4 of their D was crashing the box so if we could find a way to redirect and get outside, wide for more yardage. What would I know? I’m just a HS teacher.🤓😂

The RBs were absolutely part of the problem. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Need Matthews back, no doubt. I don't think any of the others were serious. I think his was an ankle, sit him this week. 

Getting Howland, Head back would be nice. 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

In Shivers defense, he was probably foggy headed after getting blown up on the first play. Dude is tough as nails just to return.  I thought he was going straight to concussion protocol, and I'm really excited about him this season. That would've been a terrible loss, and I think he'll have a major impact for us.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

We were out numbered in the box the whole night. 

And because we lost our best run blocking OL. 

Good call. Listened to the press conference and this was mentioned several times. Bell mentioned that's the most one of his offenses has ever thrown the ball, but that's what they were being given. We were a couple bad throws and a couple drops from really making them pay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

In Shivers defense, he was probably foggy headed after getting blown up on the first play. Dude is tough as nails just to return.  I thought he was going straight to concussion protocol, and I'm really excited about him this season. That would've been a terrible loss, and I think he'll have a major impact for us.

Frankly, after collapsing like he did, I have no idea how he passed concussion protocol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Good call. Listened to the press conference and this was mentioned several times. Bell mentioned that's the most one of his offenses has ever thrown the ball, but that's what they were being given. We were a couple bad throws and a couple drops from really making them pay.

Like... ILL didn't think there was a prayer in the world that we would be able to expose them on the outside.... we did.  Drop/INT was a big play in that game. Gave ILL pts, which in this case was 7.... and if Coby just catches the ball and goes down, he gets to the 45. 

He had a chance at some serious YAC, though.  Just like Camper on the same play in the first half.  Slant/post by the far the most difficult/dangerous route to guard.  

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

That'd be the last time one of those WRs missed that block, though.  Shiiiiit 

• Like 1