Week #2 - Idaho pregame......

9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Will one of you big football guys explain or break down this idea I have? If you're shooting guard can't shoot worth a lick you hope one of your other wings or even one of your bags can shoot the ball if you really need to set him up in position to get a set shot to make a three-point basket.  So if you're running backs aren't good enough or whatever the reason is to make a play why wouldn't we get them into the passing game?  Make the rb a threat to catch the ball out in the flats or do we need them to be in there blocking that badly that they can't release out? 

Was you watching the first play of the game? 

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Shivers collapsing was alarming in the moment. Probably like he did, I forgot it happened later in the game; only wondering where his speed and illusiveness went.

Now in retrospect do I consider his bell being rung as a possible reason for his ineffectiveness.

Reasonable 

14 hours ago, btownqb said:

Screenshot_20220908-183737_Twitter.jpg

Hmmm. Sounds good, but the hit was a shoulder pad directly to the head. Having assessed athletes and patients with concussion protocol, I would question that assessment.  Can't make a proper diagnosis without evaluating the person, but he wasn't exactly doubled over holding his abdomen, he lost coordinated movement and collapsed. 

That being said, I hope their recollection is correct for Shaun. Loved him at Auburn, and he is going to make some big plays for us. Hope we see a Purdue helmet go flying into the end zone after getting blown up by Shivers on a jet sweep in the Bucket game!

23 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Hmmm. Sounds good, but the hit was a shoulder pad directly to the head. Having assessed athletes and patients with concussion protocol, I would question that assessment.  Can't make a proper diagnosis without evaluating the person, but he wasn't exactly doubled over holding his abdomen, he lost coordinated movement and collapsed. 

That being said, I hope their recollection is correct for Shaun. Loved him at Auburn, and he is going to make some big plays for us. Hope we see a Purdue helmet go flying into the end zone after getting blown up by Shivers on a jet sweep in the Bucket game!

No, the shoulder pad hit him directly in the chest. If the shoulder pad had hit him in the head, that is 1000% targeting and the kid would have gotten kicked out. I have been socked like that a couple of times, and while its certainly better than being drilled directly in your head, it does take a moment to regain your breathe/bearing after that. 

His head snapped back once the contact was made to his chest. Then his head hits the turf, but that wasn't as bad as some of them. Shivers got lucky... ish. 

My biggest goal for this week (besides avoiding injury) is rhythm and reps on Offense. Start building that confidence these next couple of weeks before the grind commences.

Small help from Mother Nature would be nice as well. Storms in the area but fairly scattered all day. Just don't want to have one of those lightning delays. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My biggest goal for this week (besides avoiding injury) is rhythm and reps on Offense. Start building that confidence these next couple of weeks before the grind commences.

Small help from Mother Nature would be nice as well. Storms in the area but fairly scattered all day. Just don't want to have one of those lightning delays. 

I hope to see a lot of backups defensively. They need reps. 

Offensively, no doubt. Exactly what you said. We will undoubtedly play our back up WRs more this week, as well. 

Most of the time I am not a believer in the "that was a bad play call", more in the camp of "why didn't we execute the play called". 

Rarely will you just have the best play called for certain defenses, but.. the execution offensively needs to be at a high enough level... 

Way too much feast or fathom last week and that is not sustainable. We need 2nd and 5. We have to be able to at least grab 2 first downs and play field position. Always put our defense in the best spot to make plays, which in return will pay dividends for the offense. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

No, the shoulder pad hit him directly in the chest. If the shoulder pad had hit him in the head, that is 1000% targeting and the kid would have gotten kicked out. I have been socked like that a couple of times, and while its certainly better than being drilled directly in your head, it does take a moment to regain your breathe/bearing after that. 

His head snapped back once the contact was made to his chest. Then his head hits the turf, but that wasn't as bad as some of them. Shivers got lucky... ish. 

The defender's helmet hit Shivers shoulder pad. His shoulder pad hit the bottom of his face mask snapping his head back. Either way, Shivers was dazed, wobbly, then collapsed. He lays prone with arms  out; not something you would do with the wind knocked out of you. Agree he and the team are fortunate it wasn't worse. The wr's should run their butts off for making  NO effort to block.  Shivers is a beast.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

The defender's helmet hit Shivers shoulder pad. His shoulder pad hit the bottom of his face mask snapping his head back. Either way, Shivers was dazed, wobbly, then collapsed. He lays prone with arms  out; not something you would do with the wind knocked out of you. Agree he and the team are fortunate it wasn't worse. The wr's should run their butts off for making  NO effort to block.  Shivers is a beast.

That IS something you'd do with the wind knocked out of you, thoug, if its THAT extreme. I've done it. This exact play has happened to me... and it wasnt my head that hurt at all... it was like my lung was collapsed lol.. I mean, still not good... but you can't regain your breath. Very weird feeling, then you hyperventilate. 

I don't believe their was any sort of sizable blow, from the defenders body that hit Shivers head. Maybe, the slightest tip of the bottom of his facemask. But, Shivers was coherent, he just couldn't breathe. 

Have you ever landed directly on the ball when being tackled? It's an unbearable feeling, as well. 

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That IS something you'd do with the wind knocked out of you, thoug, if its THAT extreme. I've done it. This exact play has happened to me... and it wasnt my head that hurt at all... it was like my lung was collapsed lol.. I mean, still not good... but you can't regain your breath. Very weird feeling, then you hyperventilate. 

I don't believe their was any sort of sizable blow, from the defenders body that hit Shivers head. Maybe, the slightest tip of the bottom of his facemask. But, Shivers was coherent, he just couldn't breathe. 

Have you ever landed directly on the ball when being tackled? It's an unbearable feeling, as well. 

We'll agree to disagree.  Not a big deal. Good luck tonight assuming you have a game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I hope to see a lot of backups defensively. They need reps. 

Offensively, no doubt. Exactly what you said. We will undoubtedly play our back up WRs more this week, as well. 

Most of the time I am not a believer in the "that was a bad play call", more in the camp of "why didn't we execute the play called". 

Rarely will you just have the best play called for certain defenses, but.. the execution offensively needs to be at a high enough level... 

Way too much feast or fathom last week and that is not sustainable. We need 2nd and 5. We have to be able to at least grab 2 first downs and play field position. Always put our defense in the best spot to make plays, which in return will pay dividends for the offense. 

WRs dropped too many passes. QB over threw too many. ZERO run blocking + Illinois stacking the box. DBs dropped some INTs. A few missed tackles. If IU cleans up half of this, we'll see a WAY better performance. First game jitters and a ton of new guys was very noticeable but they still won. So I am hopeful. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

WRs dropped too many passes. QB over threw too many. ZERO run blocking + Illinois stacking the box. DBs dropped some INTs. A few missed tackles. If IU cleans up half of this, we'll see a WAY better performance. First game jitters and a ton of new guys was very noticeable but they still won. So I am hopeful. 

Yep! And... ILL had played a game! 

• Like 1