Ohio State Postgame Thread

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holtmann's "real first season" begins next year when he has to replace talent, production, and leadership, then rebuild around it.. It doesn't get a lot better than what he walked into, but he's doing a fine job with them.

Green , Morgan, and RoJo need to play well in the same game if they harbor any hopes of keeping the Michigan State game close.

3 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Holtmann's "real first season" begins next year when he has to replace talent, production, and leadership, then rebuild around it.. It doesn't get a lot better than what he walked into, but he's doing a fine job with them.

Green , Morgan, and RoJo need to play well in the same game if they harbor any hopes of keeping the Michigan State game close.

OSU was predicted to finish toward the bottom of the conference in pretty much every preseason prediction I saw.  Remains to be seen how it ends up, but he’s doing a far better job than Arche this season.

No guard play, 38-23 1st half.
One good guard play, 33-33 2nd half.

Liked defense for the most part.

How Freddie can be so strong, and so weak at the same time boggles my mind. 

Need to work on lay ups.

Basically the result I expected. Surprised the B1G doesn't want us to play Michigan St. tomorrow night.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

OSU was predicted to finish toward the bottom of the conference in pretty much every preseason prediction I saw.  Remains to be seen how it ends up, but he’s doing a far better job than Arche this season.

I agree he has done a much better job this year, but he does have talent, he starts 4 top 75 players with 2 of them top 50 as well as a top Juco transfer.  That and he has a PG and players that can shoot.  Interesting concept having shooters on a basketball team.

6 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I agree he has done a much better job this year, but he does have talent, he starts 4 top 75 players with 2 of them top 50 as well as a top Juco transfer.  That and he has a PG and players that can shoot.  Interesting concept having shooters on a basketball team.

You forgot blowhard's son

26 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I don't go exclusively off of the predictions of others. I agree with some of it,  and since I think for myself , I throw out the ones I disagree with .I also pegged Maryland to really struggle without Melo, and Dodd.

OSU was one of them I disagreed with.  There were valid question marks , but they had answers already in the projected playing rotation.

Matta got let go because they've had plenty of talent yet underachieved.

For that reason, the sense of surprise at seeing their guys are starting to play closer to their initial expectations escapes me. I might not have guessed they would be 10-1 but I had them pegged for an at-large from day 1. 

The teams that totally threw me were Iowa, Minny, and Northwestern.  I totally expected more of each.Nebraska gave much more than I expected.

Nothing else in the B1G this year is really a big shocker.

18 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Tate and Diop were both top 30 players.  Also I agreed with DDD on how it was addition by subtraction when Lyles was kicked off the team.

11 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I really don’t think they’re that much more talented than we are.  Each team has one all-conference level player (Bates-Diop, Morgan), and bad guards.  Not sure if you’re referring to Jackson as the “top juco transfer,” but if you are, go take a look at his and Newkirk’s stats last year.  They’re playing Andrew Dakich 17 minutes a game for Christ’s sake.

Aside from the one star on each team, we start two top 75 recruits to their three, and we actually looked worse than we do now with the two other top 50 recruits we had that are no longer playing.  

They start Jackson at PG (juco transfer junior), we start Newkirk (senior juco transfer.)  They start Williams at the 2 (senior #74 in his class), we start Rob (senior #49).  They start Tate at the 3 (senior #58), we start McBob (junior juco transfer).  They start Bates-Diop and Wesson (freshman #74) at forward, we start Morgan and Smith (freshman #77).  It’s damn near the same exact set up, with the exception of Tate being a better #2 option than we have.  It’s just not true that OSU is significantly more talented than we are.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I really don’t think they’re that much more talented than we are.  Each team has one all-conference level player (Bates-Diop, Morgan), and bad guards.  Not sure if you’re referring to Jackson as the “top juco transfer,” but if you are, go take a look at his and Newkirk’s stats last year.  They’re playing Andrew Dakich 17 minutes a game for Christ’s sake.

Aside from the one star on each team, we start two top 75 recruits to their three, and we actually looked worse than we do now with the two other top 50 recruits we had that are no longer playing.  

They start Jackson at PG (juco transfer junior), we start Newkirk (senior juco transfer.)  They start Williams at the 2 (senior #74 in his class), we start Rob (senior #49).  They start Tate at the 3 (senior #58), we start McBob (junior juco transfer).  They start Bates-Diop and Wesson (freshman #74) at forward, we start Morgan and Smith (freshman #77).  It’s damn near the same exact set up, with the exception of Tate being a better #2 option than we have.  It’s just not true that OSU is significantly more talented than we are.

I am not saying they are significantly more talented I am saying that they have talent and picking them to finish 11th in the conference pre season was a poor choice by those that did so.  I do feel that they have a big advantage in that their best Diop is much more versatile and able to score in more ways than our best.   They have a go to player that can create his own shot, something IU does not have(maybe Green in the future?)

Archived