Ohio State Postgame Thread

9 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

In fairness, I think Crean would have been gone 2 years ago...but he won the B1G lol

Last year everyone on the 247 board couldn’t shut up about how great our players were and how bad Tom Crean was. This year all of Creans players are less than shit (except for Morgan) and Archie is a savant who would be taking IU to the final four if not for Creans’s garbage roster. What a difference a year makes

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Last year everyone on the 247 board couldn’t shut up about how great our players were and how bad Tom Crean was. This year all of Creans players are less than shit (except for Morgan) and Archie is a savant who would be taking IU to the final four if not for Creans’s garbage roster. What a difference a year makes

Well we did lose three pros...

7 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Who collectively average 6 pts and 2 rbs per game in the nba...not each. As a trio

There is a collective skill level that was lost.  Undoubtedly they are not producing at a high level in the pros.  It does however take a combination of skill or potential to get there.  Lets not skew their lack of production now into we lost nothing last year because of it.

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

Who collectively average 6 pts and 2 rbs per game in the nba...not each. As a trio

The two better scorers of that trio are playing in the G-League. You know scoring is what we struggle with, right?

Bryant and Blackmon are scoring over 30 PPG combined playing professional basketball. That wouldn't make a difference at all...

2 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

There is a collective skill level that was lost.  Undoubtedly they are not producing at a high level in the pros.  It does however take a combination of skill or potential to get there.  Lets not skew their lack of production now into we lost nothing last year because of it.

The only player of those three who produced last year was JBJ, who was ridiculed mercilessly on fan boards all season because he couldn’t/wouldn’t play defense. We didn’t lose any production with OG leaving. He was always about potential which was never realized. Bryant was not good and any productivity he achieved on offense was negated by his ineptitude on defense. It’s neither here nor there. I just get a kick our of the experts on this board who blamed coaching last year but this year slam the kids playing this year

6 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

The only player of those three who produced last year was JBJ, who was ridiculed mercilessly on fan boards all season because he couldn’t/wouldn’t play defense. We didn’t lose any production with OG leaving. He was always about potential which was never realized. Bryant was not good and any productivity he achieved on offense was negated by his ineptitude on defense. It’s neither here nor there. I just get a kick our of the experts on this board who blamed coaching last year but this year slam the kids playing this year

Glad us 'experts' are entertaining.

You honestly see zero difference in coaching and players between this year and last?

2 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

So will a 15-15 record get us into the NIT?

Have to factor in the tournament. 16 wins clinches a .500 record. Which doesn’t guarantee an invite to the NIT. It’s really hard to predict that though because a lot of it is determined by low majors that win their league but lose their tournament and high majors that have their bids stolen by conference tournament upsets. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

The two better scorers of that trio are playing in the G-League. You know scoring is what we struggle with, right?

Bryant and Blackmon are scoring over 30 PPG combined playing professional basketball. That wouldn't make a difference at all...

Lol. You ridiculed JBJ non stop last year. And proclaimed RoJo the point guard of the future at IU based on per 100 possession stats you didn’t understand. Tell me more about how oblivious I am...

18 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Glad us 'experts' are entertaining.

You honestly see zero difference in coaching and players between this year and last?

Wasn’t the point I was making. I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of how so many on here blamed everything on Crean last year and now it’s all the players fault even though the output is basically the same. 

Just now, Hoosrnight said:

I’m quite sure they would be averaging a lot more than that for IU this year! At least JBJ could hit shots! This would be a very different team with those 3 still here!

Im a huge fan of all three and agree that I wish they were still here. Wasn’t the point I was making. 

1 hour ago, hoopsta007 said:

This season should be on Fred Glass.  Allowed the Crean era to go on too long.  

I thought Glass made his move a bit late too, but it could be a blessing in disguise. We might've gotten a total different coach if he acted faster. I am totally content with our current coach. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Wasn’t the point I was making. I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of how so many on here blamed everything on Crean last year and now it’s all the players fault even though the output is basically the same. 

I think there is still some blame with the 'Crean hangover' in the remaining roster. I hate saying that.  

The perspective I have is that last year we had a more talented team with 2 significant injuries each year.  Last year we had poor defense, coaching problem?  Perhaps.  I don't wish to slam CTC.

This year, we dont have the scorers, but they have been taught or coached defense.  Incidentally enough, we have a similar record with an inferior team.  But, likely a better coach.

1 minute ago, PoHoosier said:

I think there is still some blame with the 'Crean hangover' in the remaining roster. I hate saying that.  

The perspective I have is that last year we had a more talented team with 2 significant injuries each year.  Last year we had poor defense, coaching problem?  Perhaps.  I don't wish to slam CTC.

This year, we dont have the scorers, but they have been taught or coached defense.  Incidentally enough, we have a similar record with an inferior team.  But, likely a better coach.

Our defenive results this year are basically the same against a softer strength of schedule if you buy into RPI, BPI, KenPom. I’m not sure why everyone thinks our defense is so much better when we are giving up the same amount of points per game. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-efficiency?date=2017-04-04

If you believe the analysis from the analytics above our defense under Archie is actually worse than last season despite not having JBJ and Bryant who were labeled as gigantic liabilities on defense 

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

The flip side is that OG is starting for one of the better teams in the NBA. Also in the G-League Bryant is averaging 19ppg, 7rpg and shooting 38% from the NBA 3-pt line, while JBJ is averaging 13ppg. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

If this team with this coach had JBJ, Bryant and OG, we’d be a top 4 Big Ten team, potentially a conference title contender. 

Tom Crean had every chance in the world to be successful at IU and couldn’t get the job done. 

Could you imagine where we would be if Crean were still here not teaching D or ball control, just jacking up 3's with no shooters? Crean is the luckest man in the world.

Archived