Ohio State Postgame Thread

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Could you imagine where we would be if Crean were still here not teaching D or ball control, just jacking up 3's with no shooters? Crean is the luckest man in the world.

We’ve seen that movie, remember the 13-14 season, and that was with an much more talented roster?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Could you imagine where we would be if Crean were still here not teaching D or ball control, just jacking up 3's with no shooters? Crean is the luckest man in the world.

Crean may still think he was treated unfairly and let go, but in the end, Glass was merciful. He'd probably have a nervous breakdown if he still coaches this team.  

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

I think he would have shooters. They would spend more time on offense and shooting in practice and not exert as much energy on defense so they would have legs.  Not defending him but I really don't think shooting would be an issue 

9 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Last year everyone on the 247 board couldn’t shut up about how great our players were and how bad Tom Crean was. This year all of Creans players are less than shit (except for Morgan) and Archie is a savant who would be taking IU to the final four if not for Creans’s garbage roster. What a difference a year makes

Ummm losing 3 pros sometimes has an impact on a team. 

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

bottom line is this is a loss that we should have expected going in to this tough stretch of our schedule.  one more coming our way, then we may be able to pull a couple wins out of the next few.  

I agree on expecting a loss. And for some very strange reason (after actually getting a few days to rest) I think we win Saturday. Only loss I've been truly disappointed in was at Illinois....just because they are pathetic.

55 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think he would have shooters. They would spend more time on offense and shooting in practice and not exert as much energy on defense so they would have legs.  Not defending him but I really don't think shooting would be an issue 

I think people are putting too much on this difference between Crean and Archie when it comes to the shooting. No doubt Crean spends more time on offense where Archie spends more time on defense, I’m not disputing that at all, but the bottom line is this team just doesn’t have great shooters. We had Crean in 2013-14 and that was a bad shooting team. Sometimes it’s the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s. 

Newkirk has always been streaky. RoJo’s always been streaky and his poor shooting dates back to last season. Hartman has always been kind of streaky. We lost a shooting guard in Blackmon who is a tremendous shooter and we lost a 6’11” big that could shoot. Davis was never a shooter, Morgan has always struggled from deep, Green has always been inconconsistent, etc. 

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think people are putting too much on this difference between Crean and Archie when it comes to the shooting. No doubt Crean spends more time on offense where Archie spends more time on defense, I’m not disputing that at all, but the bottom line is this team just doesn’t have great shooters. We had Crean in 2013-14 and that was a bad shooting team. Sometimes it’s the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s. 

Newkirk has always been streaky. RoJo’s always been streaky and his poor shooting dates back to last season. Hartman has always been kind of streaky. We lost a shooting guard in Blackmon who is a tremendous shooter and we lost a 6’11” big that could shoot. Davis was never a shooter, Morgan has always struggled from deep, Green has always been inconconsistent, etc. 

I don't disagree but we put a lot of blame on players rightfully so but not one is shooting better this year than last. I do know there are lots of reasons. Mostly I feel that our "go to guys" have always been role players and now have to step up and are not

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not even sure Green's shot is inconsistent, his shot selection is. When he takes good shots he is a good shooter, he just takes a lot of bad shots. 

My point being I think he is a guy that if we work to get good looks we can depend on, but a lot of that has to come from him not forcing things. 

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not even sure Green's shot is inconsistent, his shot selection is. When he takes good shots he is a good shooter, he just takes a lot of bad shots. 

My point being I think he is a guy that if we work to get good looks we can depend on, but a lot of that has to come from him not forcing things. 

I agree, and hopefully last night was a step in the right direction. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the start next game, since Newkirk has really struggled lately. 

9 minutes ago, rico said:

One thing that really bothers me about Green is that he has fallen in love with that one armed pass off the dribble.

If u can do it there's not much wrong with it other than you can't pull it back. If you watch back cutting teams you better be able to make that pass off the dribble 1 handed. We work on it everyday because it's a key component of our offense.

For Green he has not mastered it 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If u can do it there's not much wrong with it other than you can't pull it back. If you watch back cutting teams you better be able to make that pass off the dribble 1 handed. We work on it everyday because it's a key component of our offense.

For Green he has not mastered it 

That last sentence says it all.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Let me see if I have this right, because they are playing D, they can't shoot?

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I got a kick out of that as well.  Right now, IMHO, are problem is missing lay-ups, shots at the rim, and damn FT's.  So we can't shoot from the outside?  Hell, we can't hit bunnies.

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Do not think that is what I said.  My point being if majority of practice time is devoted to offense like our past coach and staff I can only assume our number of shots in practice are higher. Can only speak to what I see. Also with Crean there were many players putting in lots of time in cook hall on their own. I would guess mostly shooting. 

With more emphasis on learning a new offensive and for the first time playing defense and being asked to truly sell out on defense.  The number of shots in practice may go down. During Creans tenure we were in great physical condition are we still.  Idk. 

Across the board our players are shooting worse in all categories man for man. It's obvious something is causing it.  Is it reps.selection,fatugue. I have no idea.

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Do not think that is what I said.  My point being if majority of practice time is devoted to offense like our past coach and staff I can only assume our number of shots in practice are higher. Can only speak to what I see. Also with Crean there were many players putting in lots of time in cook hall on their own. I would guess mostly shooting. 

With more emphasis on learning a new offensive and for the first time playing defense and being asked to truly sell out on defense.  The number of shots in practice may go down. During Creans tenure we were in great physical condition are we still.  Idk. 

Across the board our players are shooting worse in all categories man for man. It's obvious something is causing it.  Is it reps.selection,fatugue. I have no idea.

It could have to do with the limited offensive options that we have?

2 hours ago, rico said:

One thing that really bothers me about Green is that he has fallen in love with that one armed pass off the dribble.

Green is the best passer on this team and there isnt a close 2nd.  Thats not to say he doesnt try to squeeze the ball into windows or lanes that arent there, because he does and damn its annoying.  But, he has the confidence that he can make about any pass and he pulls off more of them than he doesnt. 

I dont think he throws any more passes into the crowd with one hand than any of our other guards do with 2 hands. I just think with him, compared to Newkirk specificly, Newkirk is more steady, he's going to play about the same every night. It might not be at a super high level, but the lows wont be 3 mile island level meltdown either. Whereas Green offers a lot higher upside but has shown he can go off the rails at times and just leave you scratching your head. 

Personally, i wish Green would have got to play thru the meltdowns so they dont happen as often, if ever. But CAM used the bench to get him to cut out the street, and when he does, he can be a special player. 

Archived