Indiana ranked preseason #6 by Lindy’s Sports

KDB

2 minutes ago, rico said:

How so?  When you have scoring returning from the previous year it is a good thing.

I agree it’s a very good thing, but how does another year of experience suddenly change a top 50 team into a top 20 team? You still have the same players with their same limitations.

That being said I do think this team has massive potential, but not because it returns so much scoring. I think the makeup of the team is different enough that suddenly players like Miller will find it easier to get an open shot for instance.

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

but how does another year of experience suddenly change a top 50 team into a top 20 team? You still have the same players with their same limitations.

Not necessarily... How much did a year's experience change Johnny Davis and Keegan Murray?

I don't think experience is the total barometer for success... It takes talent too... And we have experienced talent.

That'll make us good. A jump by Bates, or Geronimo, or one of the freshmen can make us special. 

• Like 2

6 is probably too high considering this team finished the composite index at 48 last year and still did not address it's most obvious weakness.  

A reminder that Parrish/cbs is slating 16th.  Borzello/espn is at 15, Goodmann at 12.  6 is high and we all know it.  Could they if Bates jumps and Galloway becomes a 32% shooter and Jalen is as advertised, and Race continues shooting near 40% from deep? Sure those are lots of ifs.

The good thing is the B1G seems down and I don't see this team falling out of the top 20 all year.  If things go favorably then sure, top 10 is feasible but there is plenty to be proven.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I agree it’s a very good thing, but how does another year of experience suddenly change a top 50 team into a top 20 team? You still have the same players with their same limitations.

That being said I do think this team has massive potential, but not because it returns so much scoring. I think the makeup of the team is different enough that suddenly players like Miller will find it easier to get an open shot for instance.

Especially in the big ten it is important because the other top teams lost a lot from last year.

On 9/16/2022 at 10:22 AM, IUFLA said:

Not my line of work...

Tell us, why do you see Illinois being good this year? 

The most top 100 recruits on the roster since Bill Self was around.

Coach that's won the most B1G games over the past 3 seasons.

I think the questions you raised are all very valid so it's far from a sure thing. I expect some bumps in the road during the non-con season.

11 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

The most top 100 recruits on the roster since Bill Self was around.

Coach that's won the most B1G games over the past 3 seasons.

I think the questions you raised are all very valid so it's far from a sure thing. I expect some bumps in the road during the non-con season.

How many proven D1 players who are as good as Trayce Jackson-Davis? Race Thompson? Xavier Johnson?

How many Freshmen as good as Jalen Hood-Schifino or Malik Reneau? 

Teams are going to continue to pack the paint and make us score from the perimeter. My biggest fear is we still haven’t added any real knock down 3pt threats. Sure I think we will have the most talent on the floor most nights but I fear those long scoring droughts are not fully behind us because of that. It will be our Achilles against teams that are long and big enough to shut down driving lanes and clog up the lane.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Teams are going to continue to pack the paint and make us score from the perimeter. My biggest fear is we still haven’t added any real knock down 3pt threats. Sure I think we will have the most talent on the floor most nights but I fear those long scoring droughts are not fully behind us because of that. It will be our Achilles against teams that are long and big enough to shut down driving lanes and clog up the lane.

I think with JHS playing with the ball it will allow Johnson to play off the ball and he shot well as a spot up shooter.  I think Kopp will shoot better because there will be more guys on the floor that can create and get him more open shots. Next I see Bates being a more consistent shooter than he was last year. I also hope that Race will shoot with more confidence this year because I think he can be a descent shooter.  If Gunn can get to a place where he can get minutes it will help because he is probably the best 3 point shooter we have.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think with JHS playing with the ball it will allow Johnson to play off the ball and he shot well as a spot up shooter.  I think Kopp will shoot better because there will be more guys on the floor that can create and get him more open shots. Next I see Bates being a more consistent shooter than he was last year. I also hope that Race will shoot with more confidence this year because I think he can be a descent shooter.  If Gunn can get to a place where he can get minutes it will help because he is probably the best 3 point shooter we have.

image.thumb.jpeg.d82849d30ee1ed6c6a775f2369943a46.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Rather go into the season with some positivity than be all doom and gloom.  Also what did I say in my post that can't happen.  Not saying we will lead the country in 3 point shooting but can see us shoot around 36 percent from 3

I think it’s thinking all those things will happen..which is what would need to happen to put us as a top 10 team. I’d be happy if just one guy becomes a plus 40% shooter from 3 on 5 attempts per game.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think it’s thinking all those things will happen..which is what would need to happen to put us as a top 10 team. I’d be happy if just one guy becomes a plus 40% shooter from 3 on 5 attempts per game.

I guess we disagree about this team. I see us the clear favorite to win the big ten and a top 15 team in the country. Usually the fans think we are better than what our pre season ranking is but this year it appears the rankings has us higher than some of our fans think we are.  I think as a team we will shoot at least 36 percent from 3

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Rather go into the season with some positivity than be all doom and gloom.  Also what did I say in my post that can't happen.  Not saying we will lead the country in 3 point shooting but can see us shoot around 36 percent from 3

Scott, it will be great if you’re correct. It’s just that, much like my approach to my golf game, it will be the triumph of hope over experience. 

Last year 3 point percentage

Johnson 38 was even better the last month of the season

Kopp 36

Geronimo 31

Bates 30

Race 28

If at least one or two of the last 3 on this list improve by a few percent then we should be in good shape.  Sounds like in the summer JHS has been shooting better than he did in HS.  If Banks and Gunn gets some playing time they both can shoot.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Last year 3 point percentage

Johnson 38 was even better the last month of the season

Kopp 36

Geronimo 31

Bates 30

Race 28

If at least one or two of the last 3 on this list improve by a few percent then we should be in good shape.  Sounds like in the summer JHS has been shooting better than he did in HS.  If Banks and Gunn gets some playing time they both can shoot.

Over the last 17 games, Race was at 40% from 3

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

You are way too pessimistic for September.  By February, I'm picturing...

image.gif.fbbd5cb94ec3e606d764958ed54c6885.gif

• Haha 3

This team was KenPom #24 on defense last season.  I expect them to be in the top 10 this year.  Some say that JSH was the best defender in his HS class.  I expect the ball pressure to be relentless with X and JSH.  We will get points directly from our defense this coming season. 

I think we will have enough offensive improvement to justify our high expectations.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, slojoe said:

This team was KenPom #24 on defense last season.  I expect them to be in the top 10 this year.  Some say that JSH was the best defender in his HS class.  I expect the ball pressure to be relentless with X and JSH.  We will get points directly from our defense this coming season. 

I think we will have enough offensive improvement to justify our high expectations.

Are you saying high expectations like 6th or in that 12-16 range that the rest of the field is picking? 

I personally feel like 6 is about the ceiling and 16 the floor.  

Anyone know when the very first official ap and coaches polls come out? 

• Like 1