Indiana ranked preseason #6 by Lindy’s Sports

KDB

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

To answer your questions, they don't have a Trayce Jackson-Davis All-American but Matthew Mayer and Terrence Shannon are proven DI players as good or better than Xavier and Race.

Disagree that either one is as good as Race or X. Mayer was a good role player on a National Championship team, but regressed as a starter last year. He only shot 32% from 3, and I'm not sold on his defense...and he's had back issues this summer.

Shannon is a solid player, but again, can he carry a team? He's a good defender, but both X and Race are pretty good on that end of the floor. 

Skyy Clark and Ty Rodgers aren't quite rated as high as JHS and Renau, but they're high four star Top 50 recruits we'd be thrilled to land. RJ Melendez and Coleman Hawkins provide breakout potential,

Bunch of "ifs" there. So my opinion is, they didn't do nearly enough to replace Cockburn, Frazier, and Plummer, not to mention the depth they lost in Williams and Grandison. Do you think the guys they brought in are even close to those first 3?

I'm not sure relying on role players, a freshman PG, a hope that someone breaks out, and depth that hasn't got much experience is a recipe for success in the Big 10.

it's not like the case for why Illinois will be good this year doesn't exist.

And it's also no gimme. They got one of the easier draws in the Big 10... But as I said before, Illinois was 2nd in defensive rating (to IU) last year. They'd have to equal that to contend as well... 

And I'm not seeing it... 

Edited by IUFLA

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure relying on role players, a freshman PG, a hope that someone breaks out, and depth that hasn't got much experience is a recipe for success in the Big 10.

Seems to me at Montverde Skyy was a backup to JHS. From what I saw of his play last year he’s good, but he’s not JHS

• Like 2

20 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You are way too pessimistic for September.  By February, I'm picturing...

image.gif.fbbd5cb94ec3e606d764958ed54c6885.gif

You say pessimistic…I say realistic. I’m a pretty even keel person in life and in my fandom. We all hope guys make a big jump and start shooting the ball better but man I need some hard evidence…been down the road of practice reports and guys that should take the next leap too many times and been disappointed before. I’m just going to assume most are what they’ve been and be pleasantly surprised if they improve.

5 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

BTW this board seems pretty screwed up. Can't navigate pages and lots of weird stuff going on trying to embed a pic.

Yep…frustrating but hoping it will be better in time for the first time we lose to a team we shouldn’t have and the board crashes for real lol. No honestly it will get better I know the guys are aware and working on it.

On 9/20/2022 at 5:58 PM, IUFLA said:

Disagree that either one is as good as Race or X. Mayer was a good role player on a National Championship team, but regressed as a starter last year. He only shot 32% from 3, and I'm not sold on his defense...and he's had back issues this summer.

Shannon is a solid player, but again, can he carry a team? He's a good defender, but both X and Race are pretty good on that end of the floor. 

Bunch of "ifs" there. So my opinion is, they didn't do nearly enough to replace Cockburn, Frazier, and Plummer, not to mention the depth they lost in Williams and Grandison. Do you think the guys they brought in are even close to those first 3?

And it's also no gimme. They got one of the easier draws in the Big 10... But as I said before, Illinois was 2nd in defensive rating (to IU) last year. They'd have to equal that to contend as well... 

And I'm not seeing it... 

That's what I love about college hoops, new guys stepping up each season. Like I said, your questions are all completely valid here. Gonna be fun to find out the answers.

Hey, for some reason T-Rank updated their projections and Illinois is now the favorite! Must be that easy schedule.... 🤣

https://barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=B10

• Like 1