New '24 and '25 names (incl 6'11" 300 lb center)

Madison22

I think what we see here is the unfolding of AD Dolson's blueprint for the return of  IU's basketball program -- i.e., develop a program that plays an NBA style to attract NBA talent which will eventually win big.  In retrospect it's hard to think of a coach more qualified than Mike Woodson to do that.  He has deep ties to IU and Indiana not only through basketball but just his connections with people here in the state.  Chief among those connections is one to an old man who used to work at IU and now lives in retirement in the Bloomington area.  He is highly qualified to teach and coach the NBA style as he's coached there at the highest levels for over a quarter of a century.  He may be the best coach of defense in the college game.  He clearly commands respect from HS NBA level prospects with his background, and he has the skill to relate to people in general especially young men who aspire to play in the NBA.  I think his personality traits are what marks him for success in his job as coach.  This is a very stable, even-keeled but motivated guy who sees the big picture and can put his ego in check to reach his and IU's goals in basketball.  He has assembled an excellent staff for recruiting.  He's going where the NBA talent is -- i.e., basketball factories like Monteverde.  Now can he make it work on the court.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, slojoe said:

He is highly qualified to teach and coach the NBA style as he's coached there at the highest levels for over a quarter of a century.  He may be the best coach of defense in the college game.  He clearly commands respect from HS NBA level prospects with his background, and he has the skill to relate to people in general especially young men who aspire to play in the NBA.  

Yep... Next time a kid considers UK "because Coach Cal will prepare me for the pros" someone needs to whip this out...

Screenshot_20220917-160425.thumb.png.28207bd73a50c6af3840ced938cad14e.png

He couldn't even prepare the pros for the pros... 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yep... Next time a kid considers UK "because Coach Cal will prepare me for the pros" someone needs to whip this out...

Screenshot_20220917-160425.thumb.png.28207bd73a50c6af3840ced938cad14e.png

He couldn't even prepare the pros for the pros... 

I was thinking of the squid when I wrote my post, but I refrained from a comparison.  As you point out CMW has the NBA background and record that the squid doesn't.  Plus I think CMW's personality and ability to relate to kids is a big advantage for him. 

On 9/17/2022 at 9:12 PM, slojoe said:

I was thinking of the squid when I wrote my post, but I refrained from a comparison.  As you point out CMW has the NBA background and record that the squid doesn't.  Plus I think CMW's personality and ability to relate to kids is a big advantage for him. 

Not to mention Woodson has success as a college and pro player and other traits recruits can relate to that Calimari doesn't