NCAAF: Week #3

rico

13 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I hear you. Penix has "it" back this year. He was not ready to come back last year.

Deboer isn't going to be at Washington long. He's going to get a big time job in the next couple years.

For that reason, I'm not too upset he was never our head coach. He would have had one great season and would then immediately have been poached. We would never have been able to hold on to him.

That's why I hope Allen brings us slow and steady to eventually winning 7-9 games per season; it's obvious this is where he wants to be.

I agree. CTA was never going to get fired or demoted to keep DeBoer. If anything, he got credit for hiring him in the first place. I just like the way DeBoer carries himself and his offensive mindset. I find Allen’s personality incredibly annoying and it’s only exacerbated by his complete ineptitude regarding that side of the ball, clock management and staff management. He’s a very good DC and should have stayed a DC. Not everyone is cut out to be CEO. I hope I’m wrong and CTA can grow into his role but he has a long way to go. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I do wish Purdue had a better soccer and swimming program lol. 

Purdue has one more Rose Bowl appearance than IU and your fan base acts like it’s an elite CFB program. It’s incredibly weird but I guess ya gotta dance with the girl you brought to the dance, no matter how ugly she is. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Purdue has one more Rose Bowl appearance than IU and your fan base acts like it’s an elite CFB program. It’s incredibly weird but I guess ya gotta dance with the girl you brought to the dance, no matter how ugly she is. 

Literally none of us think that. That’s some extreme hyperbole there. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

52 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I notice he took down the post you quoted, insinuating that the bevy of IU's NCAA championships were "swimming and soccer." I'm glad you captured it... 

I'd remind him that IU has more mens basketball titles than all sports put together at Purdue...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Still doesn’t change that Purdue fans don’t think we’re elite in football. Purdue only having 3 total sports championships isn’t a big deal to me. Would it be nice to have more? Absolutely. Would it change my Purdue fandom? Not one bit. Purdue could rattle off 10 championships in golf and softball and it wouldn’t change anything for me. 

“Cradle of quarterbacks; Hazell was a fluke therefore those losses don’t count; Hazell’s negligence is the only reason IU’s program isn’t still in the dumpster; Brohm is god and Allen is a HS coach; IU Sucks chants; Covid is the only reason IU had a winning season; Purdue to win the B1G West every preseason; Injuries are the only reason we didn’t win the West every post season; IU only schedules cupcakes to buy wins; etc, etc, etc, etc…

This has been and likely always will be the constant rhetoric on GNB & H&R, along with all my friends/family that went to Purdue. Your fan base, as a whole, is a delusional cesspool of over promotion/self worth. If you did a fanbase poll asking “Is Purdue a prestigious, nationally relevant football program?” +90% would say yes. IU fans will always strive for better and want our athletic programs to be successful. However we, by in large, hang our hats on actual successes and national relevance that was earned by winning championships, not artificially created through self proclaimed titles like Cradle of QBs, Defense Lives Here, Big Man U. Damnit, now the ice in my cocktail is melting…good day, sir

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Literally none of us think that. That’s some extreme hyperbole there. 

Back when Tiller was at the helm, you ALL thought that...

I remember being on forums back then... Purdue would finish 7-5 and get a bid to the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl, and Purdue posters would be comparing their program to top echelon schools... It was laughable... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Back when Tiller was at the helm, you ALL thought that...

I remember being on forums back then... Purdue would finish 7-5 and get a bid to the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl, and Purdue posters would be comparing their program to top echelon schools... It was laughable... 

I mean Tiller had a pretty damn good run  his first 6ish years there. He commented multiple times that he wasn’t getting the support from the AD/university (like Brohm is now) which could’ve possibly taken Purdue to the next level. I was in school his last few years there and I know for a fact that we weren’t comparing ourselves to top echelon schools. Maybe when Brees was there up through the fumble against Wisconsin but certainly not his last few years and not at any point since he retired. 

On 9/17/2022 at 9:52 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Who knows. Brohm said it was on him in his postgame presser. 

I did not see and don't care but if Brohm says it was on him called by referee 40 yards away all the PU can call outrage and say it was BS, just like is happening. If he says our ST coach got it from the referee right beside him you lose that sympathy. Just my guess. Being the victim is in in 2022

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Purdue did the same thing with Tiller that we did with Mallory.  Each thought the coach couldn't get them any better so they thought they could bring in a better coach but it failed

And there lies the rub...the grass isn't always greener... 

I think most fans would embrace CTA churning out seasons between 9-3 and 6-6. The occasional outlier either way would be tolerable on the lower end and great at a high point, but IU Football is what it is... We'll never be Alabama... 

Unlike Purdue who always has the excuse handy... There's never going to be the "next level" for either program.

But that Gold and Black Kool-Aid (and I can't imagine the ingredients in that 🤮)

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I did not see and don't care but if Brohm says it was on him called by referee 40 yards away all the PU can call outrage and say it was BS, just like is happening. If he says our ST coach got it from the referee right beside him you lose that sympathy. Just my guess. Being the victim is in in 2022

To me, it has to be pretty damn egregious to call an unsportsmanlike on a coach. I’ve seen Brohm way more pissed off at refs and a flag wasn’t thrown. Something doesn’t add up there. 

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And there lies the rub...the grass isn't always greener... 

I think most fans would embrace CTA churning out seasons between 9-3 and 6-6. The occasional outlier either way would be tolerable on the lower end and great at a high point, but IU Football is what it is... We'll never be Alabama... 

Unlike Purdue who always has the excuse handy... There's never going to be the "next level" for either program.

But that Gold and Black Kool-Aid (and I can't imagine the ingredients in that 🤮)

Here’s my question though: why can’t there be a “next level” for either program? Look at a school like Northwestern before Fitz. They’re clearly on that next level after being one of the worst P5 programs of all time. Will it be easy? Of course not. But both schools can achieve that next level. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

To me, it has to be pretty damn egregious to call an unsportsmanlike on a coach. I’ve seen Brohm way more pissed off at refs and a flag wasn’t thrown. Something doesn’t add up there. 

That may be true but if it wasn't on Brohm, not many cameras follow the special teams guy so we have no idea how he might have reacted. 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

That may be true but if it wasn't on Brohm, not many cameras follow the special teams guy so we have no idea how he might have reacted. 

Fair. All we can do is take Brohm for his word when he mentioned in his postgame presser that they called it on him. If it’s on the ST coach, I know assistants don’t get as much leeway re how much they can get away with from official. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Fair. All we can do is take Brohm for his word when he mentioned in his postgame presser that they called it on him. If it’s on the ST coach, I know assistants don’t get as much leeway re how much they can get away with from official. 

As the head coach he knows he is safe but might take the shot to spare one of his asst coaches for making a mistake.