Western Kentucky Post Game Thread

KDB

Watching the replay, it's nearly criminal they didn't uphold that targeting call.

There's so much emphasis on the defenders helmet that the refs forget about the blow to the head or neck area. Indisputable video evidence.

Its a textbook play for why the freaking rule was instituted, and Fox's announcers and "rules expert" are clueless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

On DirectTV, I did not have to switch

I wonder if it’s based on market?  Reacher and I are near Chicago so they might have factored in the Wisconsin fan base here too.  Either way, making an exisiting game switch away to another channel seems unfair.  Or use those extra feeds so there’s reliability.  

• Like 2

I know there’s a lot to be frustrated by.  But we are 3-0 and it’s not because we just got lucky.  We made a lot of key plays to get us to 3-0.   

When the score was 24-13 it definitely didn’t look good.  But on an 80 plus degree day, look at what our defense did the rest of the day.  Mental toughness.

How about McCulley.  He’s a latecomer to receiver but he’s already productive.  If he emerges to go with Camper and Matthews, you’ve got a trio that complements each other, with Barner another guy at TE.  

Allen has a good defensive mind.  They made the plays they needed to, to win the game.  

We are 3-0.  Where are we going from here?  I have no idea.  I have maintained this is a rebuilding year all along, coming off 2-10 and overhauling the staff and basically the entire offensive skill personnel.  Tough sledding from here.  Several winnable games to go.  I like Allen in the post game presser.  We are nowhere close to where we want to be and we know it gets tougher.  But we are getting better.   

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I know there’s a lot to be frustrated by.  But we are 3-0 and it’s not because we just got lucky.  We made a lot of key plays to get us to 3-0.   

When the score was 24-13 it definitely didn’t look good.  But on an 80 plus degree day, look at what our defense did the rest of the day.  Mental toughness.

How about McCulley.  He’s a latecomer to receiver but he’s already productive.  If he emerges to go with Camper and Matthews, you’ve got a trio that complements each other, with Barner another guy at TE.  

Allen has a good defensive mind.  They made the plays they needed to, to win the game.  

We are 3-0.  Where are we going from here?  I have no idea.  I have maintained this is a rebuilding year all along, coming off 2-10 and overhauling the staff and basically the entire offensive skill personnel.  Tough sledding from here.  Several winnable games to go.  I like Allen in the post game presser.  We are nowhere close to where we want to be and we know it gets tougher.  But we are getting better.   

Good post!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Read a lot of the in game thread. Lots of bitching and pessimistic attitudes.

You guys do realize that this is IU football we’re discussing here, right? You know, the all-time worst football program in the conference? Any win is a blessing. To be 3-0 is something to relish, not be skeptical about. Too many seasons where 3 wins was the high water mark.

Good for these kids. Good for CTA.  

Guys like Cam Jones deserve all the respect in the world.. not a bunch of armchair coaches who want to disparage his team 

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You guys do realize that this is IU football we’re discussing here, right? You know, the all-time worst football program in the conference? Any win is a blessing. To be 3-0 is something to relish, not be skeptical about. Too many seasons where 3 wins was the high water mark.

Guys like Cam Jones deserve all the respect in the world.. not a bunch of armchair coaches who want to disparage his team 

I agree with everything you said but recognize we could be looking at a three win season considering how we have played. I will gladly take any win we can get.

10 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I agree with everything you said but recognize we could be looking at a three win season considering how we have played. I will gladly take any win we can get.

I think you could make a drinking game out of our OL performances. Take a drink every time an IU lineman ends up on his ass behind the line of scrimmage and you’ll be proper drunk by halftime. 
Material improvements are going to have to happen if we’re going to compete against Cincinnati and the rest of the BigTen. I’ve never felt less optimistic about a 3-0 start in my life.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Despite some of my concerns, I fully...

1) congratulate the players for excellent sustained effort/intensity and their resiliency. The former I didn't feel was there throughout the entirety of the Idaho game. The latter has been a constant thus far with our Cardiac Kids routine of come-from-behind, crunch-time wins.

2) agree with the notion that 3-0 is 3-0 regardless of how you win. We've already surpassed last year's debacle of a campaign in victories and we're half way to bowl eligibility. Ultimately, that's all you can ask from for a start to the season.

That said, execution on both sides of the ball will have to improve to hope to be in position to close the loop and achieve bowl eligibility. Both because the quality of opponent ramps up, but also because there's risk in going to the well too often on the come-from-behind act. If that script plays out against other expected "winnable" games left on the schedule, sooner or later one of those games won't go your way.

I hoped - in spite of all the massive challenges - that CTA might be the guy to lead IU football to a point where we were regularly bowl eligible, or at least playing for it late in the season. We've done what we need to do - regardless of what it's looked like - to that point this year. It will take improvement for us to put ourselves in that position in the latter weeks though. 

• Like 2

Happy for Caleb Murphy.  Started at center after Carpenter couldn’t go.  Allen said he’s the first kid from his high school to play at IU and he takes that seriously.  That’s special.  

I didn’t get a chance to study him but it looked like he brought a quickness and athleticism inside.  He’s very young and has time to get better.   

The current staff seems to like power inside over quickness and explosiveness.  Weaver keeps starting.  Weaver. Carp.  Katic.  That’s not athletic inside.   Benson is more athletic.  He is explosive and engages the D tackle fast.  Weaver just doesn’t have that yet he starts.  Murphy looked quicker at center.   Hanna’s body looks like a guard to me.  I wonder what he’d look like at LG but we seem married to Katic who is another guy who isn’t super quick.  

I would be intrigued to see 

Haggard Hanna Murphy Benson Sales

I will admit I’m not sure about Sales yet in pass pro off the edge though.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

At RB, I like Shivers.  I really do.  But he strikes me as a change of pace back especially behind this line.  Josh Henderson is pedestrian but he brings more to the table as an every down back IMO.   They need to work on Shivers’ play calls.  He gets too many calls that are doomed from the start where a guy like Henderson may have a shot.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I believe that Tom Allen can do what Bill Mallory did, which is about as good as it gets at IU when it comes to football outside of 1967.  😊   I know many will say, "You're an idiot", but history is on my side.  Anyway, I'd be more than happy with another Coach Mallory.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I loved hearing Cam Jones yelling and cheering when we won the coin toss to start overtime…..

The referee’s mic was still on when Cam was bouncing around pumping up the IU crowd!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I believe that Tom Allen can do what Bill Mallory did, which is about as good as it gets at IU when it comes to football outside of 1967.  😊   I know many will say, "You're an idiot", but history is on my side.  Anyway, I'd be more than happy with another Coach Mallory.

Mallory would have had a tough time accomplishing what he did if the Hoosiers were in the B1G East.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I loved hearing Cam Jones yelling and cheering when we won the coin toss to start overtime…..

The referee’s mic was still on when Cam was bouncing around pumping up the IU crowd!!

He is an all time leader.  As good as it gets.  Ditto mental toughness and motor.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno

21 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think it's the realization that we've got some pretty rough Saturdays ahead of us. The past two games were the easiest on our schedule and we struggled mightily in both. 

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I think it's the realization that we've got some pretty rough Saturdays ahead of us. The past two games were the easiest on our schedule and we struggled mightily in both. 

I think WKU would beat one of Rutgers or Maryland and could very well beat Nebraska.

Again, this is IU football. Expectations must be based on reality. All the comments I saw from the game thread make it appear as though Dolsen can write a check and bring in an elite head coach. 
Guess I’m just tired of the constant negativity from a few posters who tend to dominate the game threads 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Western Kentucky would smoke Nebraska and could give Rutgers and Maryland games. 

im not saying we are destined for 7 or 8 wins (although I don’t think it’s impossible), but let’s not pretend like Western Kentucky is some east G5 opponent that we should beat by 30.

• Like 2