Something Dakich said at the end of the OSU game...

... had me scratching my head.  Some of you may have turned the game off before then (I don't blame you).  So you may have missed it.

There was a discussion about IU honoring Victor Oladipo.

Pacers' Victor Oladipo welcomed back to Bloomington by IU fans

But then Dakich made a statement that other schools do this, yet IU has failed miserably honoring former players.

And I thought to myself.... what's he talking about ?  Before Crean's first season began at IU, EVERY person ever connected to the IUBB program was invited to a get together for a weekend in Southern Indiana.  Including Dakich and Knight.

The 76 is honored on the wall inside the "New" Assembly Hall. And there have been times when championship teams have been honored in whole in Assembly Hall.

Not to mention all the stuff in Cook Hall. 

I even remember "The Splendid Splinter" having an honor night.   And there have been others as well.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard this too and shook my head. As much as Dakich dislikes knight for not letting go of the past, he is the same way.

He's mad that he, the "IU guy", wasnt hired for the HC spot. He despises that.

I enjoy some of what he says, but many times you just have to shake your head 

Just now, ephul said:

I heard this too and shook my head. As much as Dakich dislikes knight for not letting go of the past, he is the same way.

He's mad that he, the "IU guy", wasnt hired for the HC spot. He despises that.

I enjoy some of what he says, but many times you just have to shake your head 

I am glad you heard it as well.  The way Dakich phrased it.... it sounded as if, outside of Vic.... IU had never done anything in terms of recognizing past players or teams. Which is patently untrue. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am glad you heard it as well.  The way Dakich phrased it.... it sounded as if, outside of Vic.... IU had never done anything in terms of recognizing past players or teams. Which is patently untrue. 

Not to defend Dakich, because I still disagree with him, but what I thought he said was that IU does honor their title teams, but that they don't do well beyond that. Again not necessarily agreeing with him, and maybe I heard wrong, but wanted to make sure we're discussing what he actually said (assuming I heard correct). 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not to defend Dakich, because I still disagree with him, but what I thought he said was that IU does honor their title teams, but that they don't do well beyond that. Again not necessarily agreeing with him, and maybe I heard wrong, but wanted to make sure we're discussing what he actually said (assuming I heard correct). 

I could be wrong as well.  However, it came across to me that he felt IU did a poor job honoring previous players, in comparison to other schools.

Hey.  At least I know of three HSN 3.0 members that did not turn the game off early, as bad as it was !   LOL

Indiana Basketball Reunion A Success

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I could be wrong as well.  However, it came across to me that he felt IU did a poor job honoring previous players, in comparison to other schools.

Hey.  At least I know of three HSN 3.0 members that did not turn the game off early, as bad as it was !   LOL

Indiana Basketball Reunion A Success

This is the way I heard it. Either way, it sounded bad.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Not trying to beat a dead horse.  However, I am like you. I got the impression, Dakich was really attempting to make IU look bad.

Purely speculation but maybe he was referring to honoring individual players specifically and not the teams. Knight was always adverse to praising a single player and always gave props to the team, which I actually liked but I have no problem shining a light on a former star like they did VO or even retiring jerseys for a handful of true greats. I have to imagine if we were to do that it would be a huge hit with former players and getting them back on campus and engaged. Also how could it not be a selling point to recruits...."Hey Romeo, do you want your name hanging up in the rafters? Come to IU, lets make history"

Not trying to beat a dead horse.  However, I am like you. I got the impression, Dakich was really attempting to make IU look bad.

I didn't say he wasn't. I just wanted to clarify, as what I heard him say (paraphrasing) is that IU honors their title teams but doesn't do much to honor other teams/players. I beleive he even said, "They'll honor '76, '81 and '87, but won't do much beyond that". 

I believe he said they're terrible at honoring anything beyond the three title teams. Again, I could be wrong, but that's what I heard. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

Purely speculation but maybe he was referring to honoring individual players specifically and not the teams. Knight was always adverse to praising a single player and always gave props to the team, which I actually liked but I have no problem shining a light on a former star like they did VO or even retiring jerseys for a handful of true greats. I have to imagine if we were to do that it would be a huge hit with former players and getting them back on campus and engaged. Also how could it not be a selling point to recruits...."Hey Romeo, do you want your name hanging up in the rafters? Come to IU, lets make history"

Much better stated, this was my impression as well. 

I also think they should "retire" great players uniforms. Like most schools it entails hanging a jersey in the arena, but it doesn't actually retire the number to where nobody can have it again. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I didn't say he wasn't. I just wanted to clarify, as what I heard him say (paraphrasing) is that IU honors their title teams but doesn't do much to honor other teams/players. I beleive he even said, "They'll honor '76, '81 and '87, but won't do much beyond that". 

I believe he said they're terrible at honoring anything beyond the three title teams. Again, I could be wrong, but that's what I heard. 

Yes, like you, I heard him say we honor the title teams and nothing else. 

But, as mile has shared in a couple of examples, I don’t even believe THAT is true. Unless Dakich is including Big Ten title teams under his umbrella. 

Dakich is the reverse of Knight. He’s extra salty because he has been discarded by the fan base and is never invited back to anything. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

... had me scratching my head.  Some of you may have turned the game off before then (I don't blame you).  So you may have missed it.

There was a discussion about IU honoring Victor Oladipo.

Pacers' Victor Oladipo welcomed back to Bloomington by IU fans

But then Dakich made a statement that other schools do this, yet IU has failed miserably honoring former players.

And I thought to myself.... what's he talking about ?  Before Crean's first season began at IU, EVERY person ever connected to the IUBB program was invited to a get together for a weekend in Southern Indiana.  Including Dakich and Knight.

The 76 is honored on the wall inside the "New" Assembly Hall. And there have been times when championship teams have been honored in whole in Assembly Hall.

Not to mention all the stuff in Cook Hall. 

I even remember "The Splendid Splinter" having an honor night.   And there have been others as well.

He said the same thing on his radio show as well but what he is saying is that they have not honored individual players just teams.  He was wondering why Isiah has never been honored with his jersey.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He said the same thing on his radio show as well but what he is saying is that they have not honored individual players just teams.  He was wondering why Isiah has never been honored with his jersey.

Thanks for reporting what he is saying on his radio show.  As Glease posted and you have now.... Dakich has clarified what he was saying last night.  It was unclear to me. Hence why I was scratching my head.   Think he was reading this thread ?  

Which leads to another question.  Dakich wants Isiah's jersey retired ?   I did not know IU retired jerseys.  And if they have, who have they retired ? 

Which leads to another question.  Dakich wants Isiah's jersey retired ?   I did not know IU retired jerseys.  And if they have, who have they retired ? 

They haven't, but IMO they should. I can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't? I doesn't mean the number is actually retired and can't be worn again, but what's the downside of making great players feel like they've been honored an appreciated by hanging a jersey with their name on it in the rafters and having a pre-game or halftime ceremony for them?

Other blue blood programs do it and they get great press out of it, and it might also play a part in why it seems so many other programs have prominent former players always supporting the program and showing up at games. It seems IU is sometimes missing that "family" atmosphere and retiring numbers could help with that. 

Not saying you disagree with retiring numbers, maybe you do or don't, just using your post as a jump point to discuss the topic. 

Retiring jerseys is something I am neutral on.  If that is what Dakich really meant, then I understand.  However, I still fee he did it in a condescending way.

I started a thread on HSN 2.0 about if.... IU retired Jersey's... who should they retire.  The thread got little attention.  My pick was Jimmy Rayl.

Here's something from 2011 :

Top Numbers the Indiana Hoosiers Should Retire 

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

However, I still fee he did it in a condescending way.

Agree. 

On the retiring jersey's, I just don't see any downside at all. All I see is upside, and can't think of a reason why we wouldn't want to make past great players feel honored, appreciated and motivated to be involved/support the program. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

They haven't, but IMO they should. I can't for the life of me understand why you wouldn't? I doesn't mean the number is actually retired and can't be worn again, but what's the downside of making great players feel like they've been honored an appreciated by hanging a jersey with their name on it in the rafters and having a pre-game or halftime ceremony for them?

Other blue blood programs do it and they get great press out of it, and it might also play a part in why it seems so many other programs have prominent former players always supporting the program and showing up at games. It seems IU is sometimes missing that "family" atmosphere and retiring numbers could help with that. 

Not saying you disagree with retiring numbers, maybe you do or don't, just using your post as a jump point to discuss the topic. 

It's not that simple though to just start retiring numbers. Beyond the criteria and standards for selecting whose jersey gets retired, there are other issues. First, if a number is retired and several others have worn the number since the person actually being recognized that seems at best awkward. Second, I could see a lot of fans having a problem with any coach that would make such decision and I could see the backlash being pretty intense unless and until he had had enough success and gained enough standing to overcome the tradition of not retiring numbers. Look at the flack Crean caught for celebrating a BIG Title and Sweet 16 after the extremely dark years of the rebuild. Archie(or anyone else) has to walk a pretty fine line with respect to honoring tradition and honoring past players. While I know such decisions are not really up to the coach, the coach will likely take brunt of the displeasure with such a decision. 

1 minute ago, hoosierBGH said:

It's not that simple though to just start retiring numbers. Beyond the criteria and standards for selecting whose jersey gets retired, there are other issues. First, if a number is retired and several others have worn the number since the person actually being recognized that seems at best awkward. Second, I could see a lot of fans having a problem with any coach that would make such decision and I could see the backlash being pretty intense unless and until he had had enough success and gained enough standing to overcome the tradition of not retiring numbers. Look at the flack Crean caught for celebrating a BIG Title and Sweet 16 after the extremely dark years of the rebuild. Archie(or anyone else) has to walk a pretty fine line with respect to honoring tradition and honoring past players. While I know such decisions are not really up to the coach, the coach will likely take brunt of the displeasure with such a decision. 

It would be retiring jersey's, not numbers. So for instance, if you retired #11 for Thomas, you could still retire it for Yogi, and Phinisee could still wear the number should he choose. The number doesn't go away, you just hang a players jersey in the rafters with his name on it. 

On the second part about the fan base, then shame on the fan base. I'm not calling you ridiculous (just want to make that clear), you bring up a valid point, but it would be ridiculous and a shame if the fan base got all up in arms about the program deciding to honor past great players. Over the years we've had posts at various times about how Duke is a family, MSU is a family, etc., etc., and how we wish IU was like that. This would be one way to move in that direction. 

Archived