Something Dakich said at the end of the OSU game...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the conversation, but we're talking about a program that has never put a kid's name on the back of a jersey. It's always been about the name on the front, not the one on the back, and many alumni and fans have proudly endorsed that stance we've taken...including many on this board.

I'd like to see individuals honored and their numbers retired, but to me it's a logical extension of the aforementioned to only honor teams

3 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I get the conversation, but we're talking about a program that has never put a kid's name on the back of a jersey. It's always been about the name on the front, not the one on the back, and many alumni and fans have proudly endorsed that stance we've taken...including many on this board.

I'd like to see individuals honored and their numbers retired, but to me it's a logical extension of the aforementioned to only honor teams

Well said, Jerry.  Well said.   It's kind of like....... tradition.  And why does IU have to follow others ?   We do have our own. 

What would be up next, getting rid of the candy stripes? I for one do not want names on the jerseys or retired numbers. We have a tradition and we should respect it and keep it alive. The only thing missing is getting back to winning and being in the tournament on a consistent basis. In my opinion we finally have the right person for the job and in time he will do exactly what we expect him to do. Go Hoosiers!

14 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

What would be up next, getting rid of the candy stripes? I for one do not want names on the jerseys or retired numbers. We have a tradition and we should respect it and keep it alive. The only thing missing is getting back to winning and being in the tournament on a consistent basis. In my opinion we finally have the right person for the job and in time he will do exactly what we expect him to do. Go Hoosiers!

Makes me think of the golf major The Masters awarding the winner something other than a green jacket.

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

I doubt if the candy stripes will ever go away.  But sometimes "traditions" do go by the way side.  Or new ones come around.  Nothing wrong with honoring past Indiana greats with something hanging in the rafters.

26 minutes ago, rico said:

I doubt if the candy stripes will ever go away.  But sometimes "traditions" do go by the way side.  Or new ones come around.  Nothing wrong with honoring past Indiana greats with something hanging in the rafters.

Isn't that what the Hall of Fame is for?

17 minutes ago, rico said:

The candy stripes aren't just for IU basketball these days.   The stripes are part of the "IU brand".

Go Hoosiers!!!

20171208_TF_HoosierOpen_SL_0849.JPG.jpeg

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

If you go back and watch that game,MJ missed a ton of open shots.

I just watched that game a few weeks ago and Dean Smith stopped MJ more than anyone.  For some reason in the first half MJ only played 9 minutes and he would just substitute just like Crean did.

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to honoring individual players? Who cares about tradition in this case? IU apparently has a problem with alumni relations (if what Dakich says is true) and something like recognizing players could go a long way in recreating a "family" atmosphere that used to be there, but has lost it's way the last 20+ years. Why not make the great players of the past feel appreciated, welcome, and part of the family?

I personally think "name on the front, not the back" is one of the dumbest cliches in sports. Honoring individuals takes nothing away from the team, and quite frankly we're running out of teams to honor, so why not move on to the great players? Don't you think it would have an impact if a guy like Langford was in attendance at Victor Oladipo Night? 1) It would be a great atmosphere and 2) it would show a recruit that IU takes care of their players and honors them for their dedication and great achievement. 

Seriously, I can't fathom why anyone would be against that?

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to honoring individual players? Who cares about tradition in this case? IU apparently has a problem with alumni relations (if what Dakich says is true) and something like recognizing players could go a long way in recreating a "family" atmosphere that used to be there, but has lost it's way the last 20+ years. Why not make the great players of the past feel appreciated, welcome, and part of the family?

I personally think "name on the front, not the back" is one of the dumbest cliches in sports. Honoring individuals takes nothing away from the team, and quite frankly we're running out of teams to honor, so why not move on to the great players? Don't you think it would have an impact if a guy like Langford was in attendance at Victor Oladipo Night? 1) It would be a great atmosphere and 2) it would show a recruit that IU takes care of their players and honors them for their dedication and great achievement. 

Seriously, I can't fathom why anyone would be against that?

I'm over 50 and I think it's stupid as well. IU created the "name is on the front" monster and will likely have to live with it until the 10% that agree with it die off.  Otherwise you'll have a pitchfork and torch brigade on campus howling about a silly tradition that most don't really care about anymore.  Don't believe me? Take a poll.

I think IU could maintain a team first culture even if the uni's had a few letters on the back that made a few kids feel special.  I also don't see any harm in recognizing Isaiah Thomas, Victor Oladipo, Calbert Cheaney and a few other special players.  Seriously...who does that hurt?  When I hear members start talking about silly traditions like that, I picture the crochety old man growling "get off my lawn!"  Some days, I am that old man, but not on this issue.

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm over 50 and I think it's stupid as well. IU created the "name is on the front" monster and will likely have to live with it until the 10% that agree with it die off.  Otherwise you'll have a pitchfork and torch brigade on campus howling about a silly tradition that most don't really care about anymore.  Don't believe me? Take a poll.

I think IU could maintain a team first culture even if the uni's had a few letters on the back that made a few kids feel special.  I also don't see any harm in recognizing Isaiah Thomas, Victor Oladipo, Calbert Cheaney and a few other special players.  Seriously...who does that hurt?  When I hear members start talking about silly traditions like that, I picture the crochety old man growling "get off my lawn!"  Some days, I am that old man, but not on this issue.

Agree completely! Some traditions are great and shouldn't be touched, but other times change can be a good thing, and I think this would be one of those times. There's literally zero negative to honoring great players of the past, especially if you establish a criteria as other schools have done so there is no gray area. 

This program could use a jolt, I think we can all agree on that, and something like honoring former players with special nights that include a jersey hanging or whatever could be a great move to finally kind of "unite" the alumni. There's no downside to that. 

I think we should retire candy striped pants with the player's name and number on a plaque above the pants.  It would be something that is unique to IU, and I think it would be an awesome way to remember past greats that sets us apart from other schools.

We could even have it be their actual pant sizes.  It would be hilarious seeing "Yogi" - #11 next to Zeller - #40 and have Cody's pants be about a foot longer than Yogi's.

17 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I think we should retire candy striped pants with the player's name and number on a plaque above the pants.  It would be something that is unique to IU, and I think it would be an awesome way to remember past greats that sets us apart from other schools.

We could even have it be their actual pant sizes.  It would be hilarious seeing "Yogi" - #11 next to Zeller - #40 and have Cody's pants be about a foot longer than Yogi's.

Now THAT.... would be unique to IUBB !

Here's the problem for me. We start hanging stuff for players, it won't be long before there's nothing but jerseys. Andy Zimmer, Jay McCreary, Branch, Archie Dees, Don Schlundt, Dick Farley, Walt "The Big Bell" Bellamy, Jimmy Rayl, The Mighty Quinn, Scott May, Steve Downing, Steve Green, Steve Alford (maybe a "Steve" section?), Isiah,  Landon, Calbert Cheaney. I could go on and on and on.

The history of our program is too big to start this kind of crap.

I like the idea of honoring teams. 

Dakich is a clown. He talks way too much.

I read all of these posts!

Some good ideas but why now after all of this time?

Some see nothing wrong with it.

That said, I hope they never retire numbers, or jerseys. It's always been about the team.

It's never going to reach consensus, and the last thing the program needs is another stupid rift in the fanbase..

Every IU program should have some stripe themed gear. 

1 hour ago, Mac said:

Here's the problem for me. We start hanging stuff for players, it won't be long before there's nothing but jerseys. Andy Zimmer, Jay McCreary, Branch, Archie Dees, Don Schlundt, Dick Farley, Walt "The Big Bell" Bellamy, Jimmy Rayl, The Mighty Quinn, Scott May, Steve Downing, Steve Green, Steve Alford (maybe a "Steve" section?), Isiah,  Landon, Calbert Cheaney. I could go on and on and on.

The history of our program is too big to start this kind of crap.

I like the idea of honoring teams. 

Dakich is a clown. He talks way too much.

You would be a criteria to receiving the honor, it wouldn’t be like an arbitrary vote or something. If UNC and Duke can figure it out a criteria and make space in the arena, I’m sure some smart people at IU can. 

50 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

It's never going to reach consensus, and the last thing the program needs is another stupid rift in the fanbase..

Just my opinion, but then shame on the fan base. Honoring the programs great players should bring the fan base, former players and alumni together. 

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

If you go back and watch that game,MJ missed a ton of open shots.

Plus, Dean Smith took Jordan out for a long span in the game, and Jordan only played 26 minutes .  Jordan was 6-14 in that game.  MJ got anything that he wanted, but missed several good looks.  DD did nothing special, but has milked a ton of credit over the last 33 years.   In the next game, Elite 8, DD then got the ball stolen when he turned his back while dribbling in the final 25 seconds versus Virginia, costing IU a Final Four.  DD doesn't talk that up much.....  

Archived