Something Dakich said at the end of the OSU game...

3 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

It's not that simple though to just start retiring numbers. Beyond the criteria and standards for selecting whose jersey gets retired, there are other issues. First, if a number is retired and several others have worn the number since the person actually being recognized that seems at best awkward. Second, I could see a lot of fans having a problem with any coach that would make such decision and I could see the backlash being pretty intense unless and until he had had enough success and gained enough standing to overcome the tradition of not retiring numbers. Look at the flack Crean caught for celebrating a BIG Title and Sweet 16 after the extremely dark years of the rebuild. Archie(or anyone else) has to walk a pretty fine line with respect to honoring tradition and honoring past players. While I know such decisions are not really up to the coach, the coach will likely take brunt of the displeasure with such a decision. 

I agree that it's not simple and could face backlash. I think to truly retire a # would be a bad idea, but since IU doesn't have names on the back of the jersey (and hopefully never will), I think the solution would be to hang a banner in the rafters with the players name above their jersey but still allow current and future players to wear that #. So you could have Isaiah Thomas above an Indiana 11 jersey on a banner above the balcony on the sidelines and also have Yogi Ferrell above another Indiana 11 jersey. Or you could have one 11 jersey and all the "retired" players on the same banner with it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It would be retiring jersey's, not numbers. So for instance, if you retired #11 for Thomas, you could still retire it for Yogi, and Phinisee could still wear the number should he choose. The number doesn't go away, you just hang a players jersey in the rafters with his name on it. 

On the second part about the fan base, then shame on the fan base. I'm not calling you ridiculous (just want to make that clear), you bring up a valid point, but it would be ridiculous and a shame if the fan base got all up in arms about the program deciding to honor past great players. Over the years we've had posts at various times about how Duke is a family, MSU is a family, etc., etc., and how we wish IU was like that. This would be one way to move in that direction. 

If that is the case, then I really don't see the point as that really reduces the honor to the player and opens a whole other can of worms about what numbers are selected. 

Oh, I agree such a reaction would be ridiculous but I would still guess it would be pretty likely. 

4 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I agree that it's not simple and could face backlash. I think to truly retire a # would be a bad idea, but since IU doesn't have names on the back of the jersey (and hopefully never will), I think the solution would be to hang a banner in the rafters with the players name above their jersey but still allow current and future players to wear that #. So you could have Isaiah Thomas above an Indiana 11 jersey on a banner above the balcony on the sidelines and also have Yogi Ferrell above another Indiana 11 jersey. Or you could have one 11 jersey and all the "retired" players on the same banner with it.

Upon seeing this idea after I had already posted my response, I kind of like the idea of retiring a jersey with a players name but not he number. 

3 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

If that is the case, then I really don't see the point as that really reduces the honor to the player and opens a whole other can of worms about what numbers are selected. 

Oh, I agree such a reaction would be ridiculous but I would still guess it would be pretty likely. 

This how you do it. There's a criteria that has to be met to qualify. Weather more than one guy wore a number and qualified is irrelevant and doesn't actually "retire" the number. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honored_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_men's_basketball_players

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

This how you do it. There's a criteria that has to be met to qualify. Weather more than one guy wore a number and qualified is irrelevant and doesn't actually "retire" the number. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honored_North_Carolina_Tar_Heels_men's_basketball_players

Bad choice of examples, as I wouldn't want to emulate anything U or No Classes does. :D As stated above hanging a jersey with just a name and no number would make more sense and be more appealling to me. It kind of says only the greatest players here get there names on the back of a jersey and only after they are done playing. 

8 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

Bad choice of examples, as I wouldn't want to emulate anything U or No Classes does. :D As stated above hanging a jersey with just a name and no number would make more sense and be more appealling to me. It kind of says only the greatest players here get there names on the back of a jersey and only after they are done playing. 

No, I want the numbers.  

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Definitely like that idea but would hope IU wouldn't go as far as UNC does...there's entirely too many jerseys hanging from their rafters we need that space for future BigTen and National Championship banners 

Duke has an added criteria that you have to have your degree, I like that touch. 

10 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

I would do name and number, but yes name has to be on it or it's kind of pointless. 

I just think it would be a great touch to honor and bring back the great players, and help get back that family atmosphere. It also wouldn't hurt to have a situation where someone like a Romeo Langford is visiting on Yogi Ferrell appreciation night, or whoever. 

1 minute ago, rico said:

No, I want the numbers.  

If others can keep wearing the number, then what's the point? We're honoring a particular player not the number he wore, right?

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Duke has an added criteria that you have to have your degree, I like that touch. 

I think that would be a must. 

Just now, rico said:

What IU great doesn't have a degree?  Just curious.

No idea. Wasn't thinking of anyone specific or anything. Though if I recall, Isiah Thomas didn't get his until after retiring from the NBA. So he would have had to wait 15+ years before being honored. 

Just now, BGleas said:

No idea. Wasn't thinking of anyone specific or anything. Though if I recall, Isiah Thomas didn't get his until after retiring from the NBA. So he would have had to wait 15+ years before being honored. 

His wikipedia page states he finished while playing for the Pistons then got his masters at Berkley after retiring so if that's correct he wouldn't have had to wait that long. Sort of off topic but it took Indiana St. until 2006 or 2007 to retire Larry Bird's jersey and they did it along with a guy who played in the 50's who was long dead. I always thought that was ridiculous if not comical of them. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for reporting what he is saying on his radio show.  As Glease posted and you have now.... Dakich has clarified what he was saying last night.  It was unclear to me. Hence why I was scratching my head.   Think he was reading this thread ?  

Which leads to another question.  Dakich wants Isiah's jersey retired ?   I did not know IU retired jerseys.  And if they have, who have they retired ? 

They don't retire jersey's but at senior night they give each player jersey that is framed.  I guess since Victor did not have a senior night they honored him with a framed jersey.  he thinks that Isiah needs to have this done as well.

2 hours ago, hoosierBGH said:

Another problem if IU did this: Do you do everyone that meets the criteria all at once (limits how special it is IMO) or do you do it more slowly over time(risks more greats be honored posthumously)?

They could honor a new one at each home game until they have all of them.

They could even have people who have been inducted vote on new players. Not as a sole determining factor, but could be part of it. Or they could even tell the former players their vote counts and then the school could not pay any attention to their votes. Players wouldn't know any better and would feel like they're still involved.

Archived