Cincinnati Postgame Thread

KDB

Regarding Bazelak. He’s getting too much pressure up the middle.  He gets flushed out of the pocket and he’s a minus player on the move.  He’s struggling to get to 50% and in todays game 60% is the new 50%.   Bottom line is we’ve got a guy who isn’t good when he’s flushed and he’s flushed alot.  If the middle of the line does it’s job he can be damn good.  There are some QB who are quite good when they get flushed out of the pocket but that’s not Connor.  

In the offseason, we jettisoned most of our staff.   Yet the guy who has the least performing unit stayed.  Others have said he stayed because of his buyout.  As long as he is here, there is no evidence they will perform.  We know what we have there.  

I like a kid like Caleb Murphy.  He’s got good quickness.  But he’s a latecomer to the position and physically not ready.  He was repeatedly destroyed yesterday.  That’s what Connor is dealing with and that is not his skill set to extend plays and be accurate.

I hate to be negative but it’s a rebuilding year.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Personally, I believe more folks would like to hear from the head coach as to why Mr. Hiller was retained this season.  What was the justification for his retention?

I wouldn’t mind that either! If I was the OC I would be in Hillers ear and telling Coach Allen I can only call plays Hillers guys can give us a chance to work. 

36 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Personally, I believe more folks would like to hear from the head coach as to why Mr. Hiller was retained this season.  What was the justification for his retention?

CTA only gets softball questions during press conferences. I’ve never seen him grilled by a reporter or have to hold his staff accountable. Interestingly, Brohm does pretty regularly. He got ripped in his PC after the Syracuse loss, and rightfully so. It’d be nice if IU’s beat writers at least tried to extract meaningful information out of CTA. 

Although the defense kept us in the game, they are also who put us in a deep hole quickly. When you have to pass every play, you become easier to defend. This isn't the first game the DBs seemingly didn't know what the play was. Supposedly one of our more talented units, they haven't played that way so far. Every game they've left guys wide open for huge gains or TDs. Getting beat is one thing, not covering someone is a break down in communication or scheme. CTA needs to step it up. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

23 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I would like to hear from Hiller on why his unit continues to struggle year after year! 

Here, Here.....! Coach Allen can't be please with their development to this point. I just got done listening to Coach Allen's press conference today. I tried to listen closely to all his responses in regards to the OL and they all seemed to have a protected response. I can't imagine that Coach doesn't have ichy feet in regards to Hiller's job performance and position.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 4:05 PM, OLDIUFAN said:

I would like to hear from Hiller on why his unit continues to struggle year after year! 

If/when he is no longer our Coach and representing IU I'll be glad to share what 2 parents of former OLine players at IU have said. Until that time....hope Coach Allen and the entire gang figure out a way to address. Unfortunately Week 5 isn't the best time to address. These moves are made in December.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If/when he is no longer our Coach and representing IU I'll be glad to share what 2 parents of former OLine players at IU have said. Until that time....hope Coach Allen and the entire gang figure out a way to address. Unfortunately Week 5 isn't the best time to address. These moves are made in December.

I wish former players would speak out. CTA’s hand obviously needs to be forced on this issue or he won’t do anything about it. You can’t be a successful program without above average line play. You just can’t. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe you should share the feedback with CTA here: football@indiana.edu

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Here, Here.....! Coach Allen can't be please with their development to this point. I just got done listening to Coach Allen's press conference today. I tried to listen closely to all his responses in regards to the OL and they all seemed to have a protected response. I can't imagine that Coach doesn't have ichy feet in regards to Hiller's job performance and position.

This is a dated commentary but it’s interesting regarding the O-line coach.

https://puntjohnpunt.com/2021/12/02/one-firing-isnt-enough-vol-i/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 2:20 PM, OGIUAndy said:

Share please!

I thought about it a bit more today. No reason to pile on a guy who was genuinely loved by current players and coaches. Down the road I'll gladly share but not right now. Hopefully you understand. I'll just say that IU got better today. May not show up in the win column but getting a guy like Carey or others this offseason is absolutely going to make IU a choice again.

Look at what Bielema has done on the line of scrimmage in 1 year. We can do the same. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I thought about it a bit more today. No reason to pile on a guy who was genuinely loved by current players and coaches. Down the road I'll gladly share but not right now. Hopefully you understand. I'll just say that IU got better today. May not show up in the win column but getting a guy like Carey or others this offseason is absolutely going to make IU a choice again.

Look at what Bielema has done on the line of scrimmage in 1 year. We can do the same. 

Completely understand.  Just glad the change took place so our Hoosiers can get back on an upward trajectory.  Can't overstate just how much a consistently bad offensive line can effect the offense AND defense.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Completely understand.  Just glad the change took place so our Hoosiers can get back on an upward trajectory.  Can't overstate just how much a consistently bad offensive line can effect the offense AND defense.

20 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I’ll be waiting 😀

Let’s also not overlook how bad the d-line has been over the past few years. No pressure from the lineman EVER. Average line play and we’re 7-8 wins a year team. Below average and worse...

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I’ll be waiting 😀

Let’s also not overlook how bad the d-line has been over the past few years. No pressure from the lineman EVER. Average line play and we’re a 7-8 wins a year in year out team. Below average    and worse…

That's a VERY good point. We never have solid pressure without blitzing, and even then it's not very consistent. Both lines need significant improvement. 

• Like 1