Nebraska Game Thread

I'm ready to move onto NFL for football this week but two things I've watched online postgame that is very confusing.

One guy posted until IU invests in facilities, stadium,etc....we'll never be able to field a good product. My question is this. Are you kidding me? IU Admin has poured money into this program....just stop with that nonsense.

Second opinion is this....and one I agree with. Coach Allen assembled a top staff in 2019/20,etc....but those guys were poached. Coach tried to fill those guys with others and we've just missed. I like Allen both personally and as a leader of IU Football. With that said....given what @IUFLAjust posted about his buyout he isn't going anywhere. I do want him to address some of our staff asap or I'll be headed into next season with a different outlook. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm ready to move onto NFL for football this week but two things I've watched online postgame that is very confusing.

One guy posted until IU invests in facilities, stadium,etc....we'll never be able to field a good product. My question is this. Are you kidding me? IU Admin has poured money into this program....just stop with that nonsense.

Second opinion is this....and one I agree with. Coach Allen assembled a top staff in 2019/20,etc....but those guys were poached. Coach tried to fill those guys with others and we've just missed. I like Allen both personally and as a leader of IU Football. With that said....given

With that said....given what @IUFLAjust posted about his buyout he isn't going anywhere. I do want him to address some of our staff asap or I'll be headed into next season with a different outlook. 

Hey, I was the last one off the CAM bandwagon, so I figured I'd carve out early egress space for CTA 😉 

And I agree 100% with the rest of your post... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

No coach from the MAC or some lame ass assistant. IU needs to pony up the MONEY for once for a Coach Kids fight over to play for. I dont care if its 10 million a year.

Like who? Those type of coaches aren't coming to IU.  You think Urban Myer would come to IU when he would have better choices to pick from.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Like who? Those type of coaches aren't coming to IU.  You think Urban Myer would come to IU when he would have better choices to pick from.

Urban would be a pipe dream but I would point out what Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, and Bill Walsh did.  These guys have egos and want to show everybody how good they are.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Back in the day if I'd gotten old Urban down to Dick's Harem House on 38th Street in Indy, I would have had ink on a contract before the dance off... 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

With that buyout I don’t think we will see a change this year even if we go 3-9.  But I could see a one more year to fix this type of scenario.  If we look ahead to realistic possibilities, I wonder if Kane Wommack would be a good fit?  Our defenses were really good when he was our DC.

I really hope coach Allen can get it turned around. He seems like a great guy,  loves the program,  and has recruited historically well for us.

But if we do end up making a change in the near future,  I really hope we go with an offensive guy. That gives us a puncher's chance in most games,  better opportunities for upsets, and it's just more entertaining to watch. If Washington gets left out of the B1G, throw big money at Deboer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Steep buyout until 12/1/24...

Screenshot_20221002-081712.thumb.png.213dfeec90af35ff4f343a0da93d403d.png

Of course I thought the main obstacle to firing Archie Miller was the $10 million dollar buyout, but, boy was I wrong... 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2020/12/17/indiana-football-how-much-iu-coach-tom-allens-buyout/3945570001/

This is an older article, but this makes it sound like the buyout should have dropped dramatically this year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I really hope coach Allen can get it turned around. He seems like a great guy,  loves the program,  and has recruited historically well for us.

But if we do end up making a change in the near future,  I really hope we go with an offensive guy. That gives us a puncher's chance in most games,  better opportunities for upsets, and it's just more entertaining to watch. If Washington gets left out of the B1G, throw big money at Deboer.

I’d love to get DeBoer, but why would he leave Washington to come to IU?  

9 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I’d love to get DeBoer, but why would he leave Washington to come to IU?  

I say this as having an Uncle who is an IU alum living in Bellevue outside Seattle......because nobody knows or cares what happens out there? Even if Washington is historically a better program (it is) the chance to be at the helm in the Big 10 is far more profile. 

Doesn't matter much anyway. Allen will hopefully get this stuff fixed in offseason. For the time being support these kids as best as we can.

• Like 3

From March 2021 

"Likewise, Allen gets substantial protection from termination without cause — for wins and losses, basically — under the amended terms of his contract. 

That’s down to both a change in terms, and the increase in pay. Under his original deal, Allen was owed 100% of remaining guaranteed income if terminated without cause through Nov. 30, 2022. That number now runs through Nov. 30, 2024. It drops to 50% of remaining guaranteed income for the life of the deal from there."

So minus last years and this years salary (at 4.9 million per) his buyout at the end of this season would be $26.3 million... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why are we continuously getting exposed for big pass plays in our secondary this season? I’m not trying to be negative,….really, I’m not. I’m just trying to wrap my head around all this. We are supposed to have upgrades and more speed in those areas of concern. Is it on Coach Allen or the players?

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

Why are we continuously getting exposed for big pass plays in our secondary this season? I’m not trying to be negative, really…. We are supposed to have upgrades and more speed in those areas of concern. Is it on Coach Allen or the players?

That's a great question.  Our secondary was supposed to be a strength.  Lack of pass rush is definitely a factor. More time to throw lets our db's get exposed easier.

• Like 3

In the UC game, some of their bomb TDs were clearly busted coverages. But guys are getting beat too. I thought last night the initial drive long TD completion was a loss in a one on one battle. But the late one looked like there might have been a miscommunication. Am I off on the latter?

Don't want either, but the blown coverages are killers. Not unlike surrendering a blocked punt. As long as we have to blitz consistently to generate pressure, have to expect that our DBs will be forced into one-on-one at times.

The pass protection was better than in previous games, with the exception of the last drive. The major challenge for our offense right now seems to be finding a rhythm of positive plays.

We get a big play or a moderate play that puts us in a position to get to 3rd and manageable, only to immediately surrender a sack, TFL, get a penalty. Combination of the line's inconsistency, lack of execution (dropped passes, penalties, etc.), Bazelak makes poor decision and/or is inaccurate on a thrown, and possibly play calling.

We just don't have the dynamism offensively to overcome many of those types of situations. The margin for error is razor thin. That's where it would be nice to have a more consistent ground attack to fall back on. But it's same. Somebody busts off a nice 8, 12, 16-yard run only to be followed by a no-gain and a loss of three on next two running attempts.

Edited by D-BONE
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

These are the things AD's should be fired over.

I'm conflicted on that...

I think Dolson was looking at the enthusiasm for IU itself and limited success that CTA had for a couple of years, and kinda bet the come on improvement...

Last year was an abject failure...This year, against D-1 opponents we are 6 points away from being 0-4 and struggled for a half vs an FCS school...

Look, I want IU to do well, but I found out a long time ago never to mistake enthusiasm for talent or excellence...

I do think he'll get another year, but with a billion dollar payday looming in the near future, if we're poor/mediocre the rest of this year and next, Dolson has to go big game hunting...

I think if IU basketball and Mike Woodson give Dolson some cover, but with the expansion of the Big 10, we can't afford to be what we are today in 2 years...

• Like 5

The people that think we should fire Allen is not smart at this point.. who the heck are we going to get? This isn’t indiana basketball. And if we do get someone as soon as we get success they are gone to greener pastures. Our best hope is that Allen turns it around. We have had decent success with him and if we get better he isn’t leaving. He really does love IU..

now last night was pretty disappointing. I knew our offense was going to struggle some without Camper and DJ.. most offenses would without their 2 best options. Now with that being said it’s absolutely inexcusable to have a weapon like Lucas sitting on the bench. As a coach you are Literally paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to get the ball in your playmakers hands. 
I do not understand continuing to play Shivers. He has no vision and yards after contact is basically zero.. we scored on our 2 drives with Hendersons and Lucas in the game..  I don’t expect the coaches to be perfect but this is pretty obvious stuff to me.

Edited by 5 championships
  • Like 3

In retrospect, our first play of the game following the opening kickoff required us to burn a time out to avoid a delay of game. Couldn't have been a more appropriate harbinger of the game itself - a loss fueled by penalties, TOs, poor execution, offensive ineptitude, and poor preparation. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, D-BONE said:

In retrospect, our first play of the game following the opening kickoff required us to burn a time out to avoid a delay of game. Couldn't have been a more appropriate harbinger of the game itself - a loss fueled by penalties, TOs, poor execution, offensive ineptitude, and poor preparation. 

And pi?? poor coaching. 

Like a few others have said on here, I take no pleasure in the firing of someone on a personal level...

But this is a performance-based business with calculable results. If Wisconsin is willing to pull the plug on their head coach at this point in the season, I would hope that CTA is willing to do the same with his underperforming assistants.

Prove to your team and fanbase that you will do whatever is necessary to make the hard work and common goals worthwhile.

While on one hand LEO can mean accepting the ones you're in the trenches with. It can also mean that for the greater good, you love them enough to carve out the pieces that aren't working.