Fitness Tracker

Drroogh

So I’ve had an original version Fitbit Versa for years, it’s served me well even with a cracked screen. Yesterday, I was hauling some stuff inside and caught it on the door jamb. The screen came undone, amazingly just hanging there it still works! I thought about superglue, but now I’m thinking it has done its job and I should get a new one. Any suggestions?

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

So I’ve had an original version Fitbit Versa for years, it’s served me well even with a cracked screen. Yesterday, I was hauling some stuff inside and caught it on the door jamb. The screen came undone, amazingly just hanging there it still works! I thought about superglue, but now I’m thinking it has done its job and I should get a new one. Any suggestions?

Is there a phone app you could use?

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I have a Samsung Galaxy 4 Classic watch that I like (wife bought it for me for Christmas). I lose a bit of functionality (can't do an ECG unless you have a Samsung phone... I have a Pixel 6 Pro) but it does track workouts and a lot of other health related info. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I thought about just tracking fitness with my phone but I want to be able to track my sleep since I don’t do very well in that regard. Maybe a sleep monitor is what I need? 

Found this on the Samsung site...

"When you’re getting ready for bed, it’s time for pajamas, a sleep mask, and… your Galaxy watch! That’s right, wearing your watch to bed will help you keep track of your sleep patterns and ensure you’re getting the correct amount of Z’s each night. With the Samsung Health app and the Sleep tile on your Galaxy Watch4 or Galaxy Watch5 series, you’ll be able to view your sleeping time, record your snoring, and use sleep coaching options. You can even control your smart devices, such as your TV, to make sure you don’t stay up too late watching movies." 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Found this on the Samsung site...

"When you’re getting ready for bed, it’s time for pajamas, a sleep mask, and… your Galaxy watch! That’s right, wearing your watch to bed will help you keep track of your sleep patterns and ensure you’re getting the correct amount of Z’s each night. With the Samsung Health app and the Sleep tile on your Galaxy Watch4 or Galaxy Watch5 series, you’ll be able to view your sleeping time, record your snoring, and use sleep coaching options. You can even control your smart devices, such as your TV, to make sure you don’t stay up too late watching movies." 

I’ll look at it, but now that I’m retired I’m thinking about less connection to my stuff. My son has converted his house into a smart one so all one has to do to control lights, TVs, music and appliances is say “hey google” Two entities I try and not give my life to are The Peoples Republic of China and Google!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I have the garmin venu square.I absolutlry love and recommend it.

Heart rate, steps, sleep analysis, calories....the whole 9 yards.

The app has a very user friendly interface as well.

• Thanks 1

No one has suggested yet, but i’ve found the Apple watch a good fitness tracker/all purpose watch. It’s even convinced me to stop wearing my analogue watches. 

I like how it easily syncs with pretty any fitness type app. Good for heart rate, steps, standing time, exercise, sleep, etc. 

I also have my stocks, weather, a decibel meter, and compass too set for my watch face. Use it for tur by turn directions while biking sometimes too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

No one has suggested yet, but i’ve found the Apple watch a good fitness tracker/all purpose watch. It’s even convinced me to stop wearing my analogue watches. 

I like how it easily syncs with pretty any fitness type app. Good for heart rate, steps, standing time, exercise, sleep, etc. 

I also have my stocks, weather, a decibel meter, and compass too set for my watch face. Use it for tur by turn directions while biking sometimes too. 

I recently installed the ‘MyFitnessPal’ app and it works with Apple Watch and the health app on your phone. You basically log your food to keep track of your calorie input and output. Based on the goal you enter (let’s say you want to lose 1 pond a week); it will say you can only eat x amount of calories for the rest of the day. If you exercise or get in more steps (logged from the health app/Apple Watch) the calories you are allowed to consume to meet your goal, will go up. 

Anyway, I liked it because you your can break down weight loss into simple math. BUT logging in everything you eat is a pain in the ass. If you eat a hamburger (for example) you need to log the bun (brand of bun too), 1/3 pound of 90/10 ground beef, 2 pickle slices, 1/2 tbsp of ketchup, etc. The app does make it as easy as possible - scanning bar codes, pre-logged recipes, etc. But still a pain in the ass.

That said, I’d still recommend trying it for a week if you want to lose weight. If anything, to learn about and put into perspective what you actually eat. I learned that snacking occasionally really gets me. It also makes you think about portion size and if you really need to put cheese on something or a dollop of sour cream. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I have the garmin venu square.I absolutlry love and recommend it.

Heart rate, steps, sleep analysis, calories....the whole 9 yards.

The app has a very user friendly interface as well.

Can you put that on your cellular plan?

Mine is on ours (along with my wife's Apple watch). The one thing I will say against the Samsung I have is that occasionally when I get out of Bluetooth range from my phone it overheats and goes into a shutdown mode. I've had it for about 10 months and it's done that 3 times. 

On 10/6/2022 at 9:54 AM, Drroogh said:

I thought about just tracking fitness with my phone but I want to be able to track my sleep since I don’t do very well in that regard. Maybe a sleep monitor is what I need? 

Apple added better sleep tracking to the Apple Watch. If you have an iPhone, it's definitely a good all around option for fitness, smart watch, Golf GPS, etc. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 7:29 AM, tdhoosier said:

I recently installed the ‘MyFitnessPal’ app and it works with Apple Watch and the health app on your phone. You basically log your food to keep track of your calorie input and output. Based on the goal you enter (let’s say you want to lose 1 pond a week); it will say you can only eat x amount of calories for the rest of the day. If you exercise or get in more steps (logged from the health app/Apple Watch) the calories you are allowed to consume to meet your goal, will go up. 

Anyway, I liked it because you your can break down weight loss into simple math. BUT logging in everything you eat is a pain in the ass. If you eat a hamburger (for example) you need to log the bun (brand of bun too), 1/3 pound of 90/10 ground beef, 2 pickle slices, 1/2 tbsp of ketchup, etc. The app does make it as easy as possible - scanning bar codes, pre-logged recipes, etc. But still a pain in the ass.

That said, I’d still recommend trying it for a week if you want to lose weight. If anything, to learn about and put into perspective what you actually eat. I learned that snacking occasionally really gets me. It also makes you think about portion size and if you really need to put cheese on something or a dollop of sour cream. 

Good tips.

I use my fitness pal as well. Mostly to ensure I reach my daily goals for protein and calories.

It has been great for me, and I don't mind logging the food. Knowing my targets, adding in the food and tracking is kind of a little daily game or puzzle I play with myself, and it has helped me with my goals.

My fitness pal also can connect and run with my garmin (btw, the garmin does track sleep, calories used, steps daily, log workouts, distance ran/walked etc).

However....

Have you seen where myfitnesspal now only allows scanning of barcodes as a premium feature. Like $20/month?

It had always been free. That has really made the process more tedious and just kinda pisses me off.

I refuse to pay for the upgrade 

Savages!!!   😡

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo, I received an email from HSN asking if y’all answered my question. I didn’t realize we had that capability?

I want to thank everyone for your responses and I’m sure they were helpful to everyone as well as myself. It seems though my needs are different and I went with the inexpensive Fitbit Luxe $87. It does everything I need on my fixed income budget that seems to shrink daily.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Any runners out there?

I've been using a Garmin Forerunner 225 for the last 6-7 years. It's a workhorse watch that doesn't have many frills, but gets the job done. GPS is still pretty accurate and the battery holds a charge for a week or so, which is nice.

That said, I am thinking of upgrading. Will likely stay with Garmin, but also considering Coros, which I've heard/read good things about. Curious if anyone has used them?