Michigan Game Thread

Haven't read much today. I'll say what I said in pregame thread as well as last week game thread. If you can't sustain drives and keep your defense off the field you'll run out of gas on defense in 2nd half....even being shorthanded minus Jones.

I'm not going to pile on Hiller. Already have. Allen knows what he needs to do but I say this. What's the answer? Firing him in season? Might feel good for 5 minutes but that isn't going to help us over next 7 weeks. Damage is done....and that's the decision of the CEO of our program. I haven't gotten to the point of being critical of Allen yet. I genuinely believe he's the best we've had since Hep. With that said....he's been trying to plug the holes from the 2019-20 staffs since they were poached and has missed.

Major changes coming once again in the offseason to the coaches. Just hoping we hit on someone scheme, recruiting wise. It can be done with portal but until that line is addressed....this is a 4 win product at best. 

• Like 4

My view of the game from section  11

The Good 

1) Got to spend the day with my son

2) The team and came out to compete today.

3) The defense played well for the most part.

4) The stadium.was full and the fans were into the game.

5) Lucas is a really good player and so is McCoulough

The Bad 

1) OL coach 

2) OC 

3) OL 

4) OL 

5) OL 

6) The fans leaving with 9:45 in the game after UM scored to go up 24-10.

7) college football has to do something about the dead test during the game. Every TV timeout is 3 min. and it seems like after every change of possession there is a TV timeout.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Haven't read much today. I'll say what I said in pregame thread as well as last week game thread. If you can't sustain drives and keep your defense off the field you'll run out of gas on defense in 2nd half....even being shorthanded minus Jones.

I'm not going to pile on Hiller. Already have. Allen knows what he needs to do but I say this. What's the answer? Firing him in season? Might feel good for 5 minutes but that isn't going to help us over next 7 weeks. Damage is done....and that's the decision of the CEO of our program. I haven't gotten to the point of being critical of Allen yet. I genuinely believe he's the best we've had since Hep. With that said....he's been trying to plug the holes from the 2019-20 staffs since they were poached and has missed.

Major changes coming once again in the offseason to the coaches. Just hoping we hit on someone scheme, recruiting wise. It can be done with portal but until that line is addressed....this is a 4 win product at best. 

I think it is time to just go with youth and talent over experience.  They can't be any worse than the guys we are putting out there right now. We sub at every other position but mainly keep the same 5 guys on the OL. I also think we sub in and out to many players because to me it hard for the units to have cohesion . I noticed it so much more seeing the game in person but we have guys coming on and off the fid after every play.

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

It stinks that you can't go Page to page on this site because I wanted to read all the game thread but could only read the first 4 pages.

I've heard others talk about this in other thread. Guess I'm lucky. Have had zero issues with site. Glad you got to go to game! Kids competed. Place looked gorgeous around 1230 with stands packed. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I've heard others talk about this in other thread. Guess I'm lucky. Have had zero issues with site. Glad you got to go to game! Kids competed. Place looked gorgeous around 1230 with stands packed. 

Had trouble finding parking so I didn't get to our seats until about 5 minutes before kickoff. It was still empty in the corners but after a few minutes it was packed.

• Like 1

Long day. Had fun despite the outcome. But man, what a painful game to watch. Keeping the game close for a while but the offense unable to get much of anything going. Defense did a heroic job hanging in there as long as they did.

CB just doesn't have any chance with so much pressure in his grill constantly. I know that isn't a new observation or anything.

Any semblance of consistent offense and this team could be pretty good like 7-8 wins at least. But I don't see the consistent offense ever happening this season with the OL being what it is. It needs to be fixed one way or another.

The worst thing for our defense is our own offense especially in the second half.  The score in the first half the last tow games was 31-31 but outscored in the second half 35-0. It just seems like in the second half the other teams defense adjust to our offense and we can't do anything. The more 3 and outs we have on offense means the defense is on the field to much.

If we had an O-line we would be a pretty good team and win a fair share of games. I don't see any accountability among the players on the O-line. These guys get beat and just clap their hands and then reach out and help up the guy they just let take a beating. it's like they say it doesn't matter we get steaks after the game, Do we not have one player on the O-line willing to hold the others accountable? Wilson would not allow this pu--- crap. I wonder if we are still feeling the effects of what happened then? Something is not right? Hell Haggard is as big a house but yet gets beat every other play? 

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

My view of the game from section  11

The Good 

1) Got to spend the day with my son

2) The team and came out to compete today.

3) The defense played well for the most part.

4) The stadium.was full and the fans were into the game.

5) Lucas is a really good player and so is McCoulough

The Bad 

1) OL coach 

2) OC 

3) OL 

4) OL 

5) OL 

6) The fans leaving with 9:45 in the game after UM scored to go up 24-10.

7) college football has to do something about the dead test during the game. Every TV timeout is 3 min. and it seems like after every change of possession there is a TV timeout.

I’d add to the good that the offense looked much better in the first half. They had good tempo and got the ball to playmakers. 

23 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

If we had an O-line we would be a pretty good team and win a fair share of games. I don't see any accountability among the players on the O-line. These guys get beat and just clap their hands and then reach out and help up the guy they just let take a beating. it's like they say it doesn't matter we get steaks after the game, Do we not have one player on the O-line willing to hold the others accountable? Wilson would not allow this pu--- crap. I wonder if we are still feeling the effects of what happened then? Something is not right? Hell Haggard is as big a house but yet gets beat every other play? 

Here is where I am at.  I understand the O-line is atrocious as I hope the staff does as well.  But geez, why don't they try harder to compensate for the line with play calling?  

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Here is where I am at.  I understand the O-line is atrocious as I hope the staff does as well.  But geez, why don't they try harder to compensate for the line with play calling?  

Didn't they? I didn't see much of the 2nd half, but the first half they were going up-tempo and calling a lot of short/quick-hitter pass plays. Both things meant to mitigate the pash rush. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Didn't they? I didn't see much of the 2nd half, but the first half they were going up-tempo and calling a lot of short/quick-hitter pass plays. Both things meant to mitigate the pash rush. 

True.  But they need more than that imo.  I dunno, the frustration is getting the best of me with this line.

• Like 1

I saw a lot of screen/swing/lateral passes that were quite effective in the first half. Stretched the defense and allowed our receivers to get out in space.

The issue is that you have to be able to mix it up and go vertical every so often. But those plays take longer to develop and you need your OL to block longer, which we're incapable of.

• Like 1

Regarding the line, I don’t know the back room stuff.  I have heard on message boards and Twitter that Allen didn’t want Hiller back but the athletics department would not pay out the separation costs.  I have zero idea if that’s true.  

I like to watch Allen’s pressers.  I’m pretty confident he’s furious about the O-line coaching.  Frustrated.  So you could read between the lines that it was forced on him.  

If true, the AD dept needs to be much smarter about contracts.  I want us to pay top dollar.  100%.  But that doesn’t mean you overpay guys just for the sake of paying.  Pay a lot because you got a top guy not for the sake of paying the position.  Hiller never had the resume to require a contract that is too expensive to get out of.   

• Like 2

I agree with an earlier Rico comment.

With the poor play by the O-line, we need to have a quarterback with more mobility and ability to escape the rush. As it stands with Bazelak, we have the perfect storm for getting sacked--leaky line play, and a pocket passer who can't make tacklers miss.

I have watched enough college football this year to understand that quarterbacks who can make things happen with their legs are far more dangerous, and don't allow the defenses to tee-off to a definitive point where they know the quarterback is likely to be. Having to play for the possibility of a scramble for yardage, or to buy time until a receiver breaks free makes pass rushers slow down and lose some of their agressiveness.

You can point to the idea that we had McCulley last year with that skill, however he did not have the passing ability, We need a dual threat back there.

• Like 1