Echoes from the past

rico

21 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I remember the Ben Franklin.

image.png.01632c6afd12aa125059933528e2465b.png

We had a JJ Newberry 5-10 (by the way for you young fellas, the "5-10” means " nickel an dime store" when those coins could actually buy something all by themselves 😁)... It had a cool lunch counter... I saw two grown women physically scrap over a man there once...

Screenshot_20221010-062506.thumb.png.a130810819f2d582fe888156c699796d.png

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We had a JJ Newberry 5-10 (by the way for you young fellas, the "5-10” means " nickel an dime store" when those coins could actually buy something all by themselves 😁)... It had a cool lunch counter... I saw two grown women physically scrap over a man there once...

Screenshot_20221010-062506.thumb.png.a130810819f2d582fe888156c699796d.png

Part of the reason why I collect old silver coins. It's actually real money. The sound of silver hitting the table is an echo of the past. 

*see what I did there. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Saw a guy wearing an old Marlboro shirt the other day and reminded me of when my dad and I would pick up all the empty Marlboro boxes we found and mail my uncle the bar codes so he could get his rewards. 

il_794xN.3967969455_n0u1.thumb.jpg.e6dfd09377319ffe9873736fe0c51c51.jpg

Ahhh, the good old days when cigs weren't $7 a pack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I read this 3 times before I noticed that it says WEREN'T $7 a pack. I meet a guy at a hotel in Massachusetts 2 weeks ago that was going APE Crap because he would have to drive 45 minutes to New Hampshire to get a pack of Menthol's.  

The prices have been ridiculous for a while now and some states are worse than others.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I read this 3 times before I noticed that it says WEREN'T $7 a pack. I meet a guy at a hotel in Massachusetts 2 weeks ago that was going APE Crap because he would have to drive 45 minutes to New Hampshire to get a pack of Menthol's.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

The prices have been ridiculous for a while now and some states are worse than others.  

My good friend in Chicago didn't quit smoking for health reasons he quit for financial reasons. $11-$14 per pack near him. For a long time whenever I would come up he'd venmo me $ and ask for multiple cartons. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My good friend in Chicago didn't quit smoking for health reasons he quit for financial reasons. $11-$14 per pack near him. For a long time whenever I would come up he'd venmo me $ and ask for multiple cartons. 

Yep, that's about right in the north east as well. I hooked this brother up and flipped him a pack. I was prepared since I had ran into the same situation a few years ago. I felt like a drug mule! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Military commissaries used to be the place for cheap cigs. I think they wanted you to smoke yourself to death so they wouldn't have to pay your retirement...

I quit on my 50th birthday (so 15 years ago last Monday) after smoking for 34 years. 

Best birthday present ever... 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Yep, that's about right in the north east as well. I hooked this brother up and flipped him a pack. I was prepared since I had ran into the same situation a few years ago. I felt like a drug mule! :)

In college I would buy 3-4 cartons in Louisville while visiting  my family,  take them back to the fraternity  house and double my money at a minimum 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Military commissaries used to be the place for cheap cigs. I think they wanted you to smoke yourself to death so they wouldn't have to pay your retirement...

I quit on my 50th birthday (so 15 years ago last Monday) after smoking for 34 years. 

Best birthday present ever... 

I need to quit.

• Like 4