Hiller has been fired

DC2345

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Wonder where the money came from?

They didn’t have the money to fire Sheridan and Hiller in the off-season. I think the amount went down once the season started. I also believe it was the last year of his contract so that was a factor as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

They didn’t have the money to fire Sheridan and Hiller in the off-season. I think the amount went down once the season started. I also believe it was the last year of his contract so that was a factor as well. 

If that was the case, it should have been Hiller to go.  It doesn’t matter what system you run or what plays you call when you can’t block.

It never made sense that Allen would swap out so many assistants but literally keep the worst performing one.  

But from a management standpoint you can’t let this happen again.  This was amateur hour.  First of all, pay high for a good coach.  I don’t care if they pay double what they gave Hiller if they get a stud o-line coach.  As we’ve seen, it would be worth it to fix it.  On the other hand, you can’t just pay a mediocrity a number that holds you hostage.  That was asinine.

Lastly, we know how much money is coming in the door.  You literally bamboozled your offense over $500K?  It was a sunk cost that you agreed to.  It was worth it to swallow it.  Just don’t bring back a coach who has proven he couldn’t perform at this level.  In the future, whatever contract you agree to, recognize that it’s at a number you may have to swallow.  I hope they learned some lessons in management.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

When you clean house…you don’t sweep things under the rug…you don’t take short cuts. Do it right the first time or not at all. Waiting likely just wasted another season and any chance of building momentum in this program.

We could possibly see an immediate and positive change in the play of our offense. What I mean is, maybe the players may have not liked or bought in with Hiller’s coaching. Some players may see a new face and leader with different views and philosophies and totally embrace that. You do often see that when a coach is let go mid season. Sometimes the performances improve. I guess we are about to see. I wish new OL Coach Carey, the best of luck.

GO IU!

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

We could possibly see an immediate and positive change in the play of our offense. What I mean is, maybe the players may have not liked or bought in with Hiller’s coaching. Some players may see a new face and leader with different views and philosophies and totally embrace that. You do often see that when a coach is let go mid season. Sometimes the performances improve. I guess we are about to see. I wish new OL Coach Carey, the best of luck.

GO IU!

Definitely possible, but I'd look to two weeks before we actually hope to see improvement. If we do see improvement within the week, it will be what you mentioned - a rallying behind the change kind of thing.

• Like 1