National News '22-'23 Season

rico

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Someone want to fill me in on what or who Creighton has to warrant #9 in preseason poll?

I was wondering the same and found this. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-creighton-cracks-top-10-after-summit-league-player-of-year-commits-to-bluejays/amp/

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Someone want to fill me in on what or who Creighton has to warrant #9 in preseason poll?

I'm not sure I get it either. They were 50th in KenPom last season, with a top 20 defense and an offense ranked outside the top 100. They were never once ranked in the AP Top 25. Not a very different profile from us. But unlike us they lose two starters off a team that only played six or seven, two key pieces who used 87% and 81% of available minutes.

Three of the other six guys are rising sophomores, Top 75 recruits who could make a leap this season. They also grabbed a top transfer Baylor Sheierman, though he'll be playing up from South Dakota St in the Summit League. I'm skeptical that's enough to get from top 50 to top 10. 

My guess is Creighton is getting overvalued because of how they closed the season (again, arguably not very different from us). In the Big East tournament they whipped a ranked Providence team, then gave Villanova a close game. They also played Kansas close in the second round of last year's Tournament. That was all without their point guard Ryan Nembhard, who is returning from a broken wrist. So just a ton of projection baked into that top ten ranking.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I'm not sure I get it either. They were 50th in KenPom last season, with a top 20 defense and an offense ranked outside the top 100. They were never once ranked in the AP Top 25. Not a very different profile from us. But unlike us they lose two starters off a team that only played six or seven, two key pieces who used 87% and 81% of available minutes.

Three of the other six guys are rising sophomores, Top 75 recruits who could make a leap this season. They also grabbed a top transfer Baylor Sheierman, though he'll be playing up from South Dakota St in the Summit League. I'm skeptical that's enough to get from top 50 to top 10. 

My guess is Creighton is getting overvalued because of how they closed the season (again, arguably not very different from us). In the Big East tournament they whipped a ranked Providence team, then gave Villanova a close game. They also played Kansas close in the second round of last year's Tournament. That was all without their point guard Ryan Nembhard, who is returning from a broken wrist. So just a ton of projection baked into that top ten ranking.

36 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Thanks you guys! Just seemed odd when I saw rankings released. I know they don't matter much now but how could a team returning 3 starters. 4 key contributors. Add 2 5 star recruits. In a far more difficult conference be ranked less. Oh well. It's October. I'll worry about that stuff in March.

• Like 1

Creighton

AP Top 25 preseason ranking: 9

The addition of Baylor Scheierman this offseason for Creighton might have been the singularly most underrated in college hoops. The reigning Summit League Player of the Year is a difference-making backcourt presence who can score it, handle it and distribute it. He joins a Creighton team that brings back Ryan Nembhard, Trey Alexander and Arthur Kaluma -- all prospects who have pro potential. Oh, and Ryan Kalkbrenner? He's our preseason Big East Player of the Year pick. This team has the weaponry to be the best in the Big East and could finish the regular season as a No. 1 seed come tourney time.

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Statistics aren't falling for the Illini hype... #33 overall and 7th in the Big 10...

I think they'll be a bit better than that, but I don't think they'll be top 4 in the league... 

Surprising because stats usually go all out for the hype. 🤣

Anyway, we're a football school now.

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, rico said:

My hoops viewing has dropped off the last few years.  Planning to turn that around this season.  If I do, it will involve a lot of Big East.  Have always enjoyed the league.

https://www.on3.com/news/college-basketball-insider-shares-target-number-for-ncaa-tournament-expansion-jon-rothstein-sec-commissioner-greg-sankey-ncaam-march-madness/ 

Another article about expanding the tournament.

Also tonight on YouTube the show Eye on College basketball is having a show discussing the topic. They want to make 25% of the teams available for the tournament in all sports.

I heard that Scott Drew wants them to expand to 128 teams and trying to figure out how they would bracket that many teams.  That would out 32 teams in each region and figuring out how to have 4 sites for each region.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.on3.com/news/college-basketball-insider-shares-target-number-for-ncaa-tournament-expansion-jon-rothstein-sec-commissioner-greg-sankey-ncaam-march-madness/ 

Another article about expanding the tournament.

Also tonight on YouTube the show Eye on College basketball is having a show discussing the topic. They want to make 25% of the teams available for the tournament in all sports.

I heard that Scott Drew wants them to expand to 128 teams and trying to figure out how they would bracket that many teams.  That would out 32 teams in each region and figuring out how to have 4 sites for each region.

How would they televise them all?  Imagine a fan base getting all excited their team makes it only to find out they have to pay $29.99 to watch a stream with announcers provided by the school's radio station.

Edited by 5fouls

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How would they televise them all?  Imagine a fan base getting all excited their team makes it only to find out they have to pay $29.99 to watch a stream with announcers provided by the school's radio station.

Actually they are discussing it on field of 68 and I actually agree with Jeff Goodman for once. Both him and Robbie Hummel both thinks it is a horrible idea to expand and they think it should go back to 64