Caleb Furst Commits to Purdue

cybergates

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. So was Swanigan....and I'm not take any shots here. I think Painter seems like a good guy and at times a good leader....just saying on the recruitment side. He rarely gets top 25 kids....maybe 2-3 during his decade plus at the helm? Just saying it makes you curious is all. 

In terms of big men. Yes. Painter has a history of developing good college big men. In terms of developing them for pros? You'll have to ask Swanigan that one.

What about the fact that they’ve gotten two top 15 out of state guys to visit this year? They’ve never had a top 50 ranked out of state commit and now they’re getting visits from these types of players 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, MPM said:

What about the fact that they’ve gotten two top 15 out of state guys to visit this year? They’ve never had a top 50 ranked out of state commit and now they’re getting visits from these types of players 🤷‍♂️

I mean we did get a lot of exposure in the tournament last year which helps. The top 15 guy is from Chicago so it’s not that crazy. The one who just visited from Texas was a big Carsen Edwards fan and there’s a family connection to Purdue there somewhere. 

23 minutes ago, MPM said:

I.like to hate on Purdue as much as anyone but just maybe having an Elite 8 run and nearly knocking off the eventual champion had a tad bit to do with it. 

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks. This isn't a shot at Purdue or whatever but when a school who rarely ventures into the upper world of recruiting gets one it does make you say hmmmm kind of like the Swanigan recruitment. Or honestly the Cockburn recruitment at Illinois. He committed out of nowhere when team, staff, and fans wanted the whole thing blown up. 

Appreciate you letting us know if you feel comfortable sharing.

Comparing Cockburn to Illinois to Furst to Purdue makes zero sense. One situation the guy is from Jamaica, played in NY/Oak Hill and then committed to Underwood/Antigua. The other lives 2 hours away from campus, has visited multiple times, and has been to Mackey to see Purdue blow out both Virginia and MSU. 

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. So was Swanigan....and I'm not take any shots here. I think Painter seems like a good guy and at times a good leader....just saying on the recruitment side. He rarely gets top 25 kids....maybe 2-3 during his decade plus at the helm? Just saying it makes you curious is all. 

In terms of big men. Yes. Painter has a history of developing good college big men. In terms of developing them for pros? You'll have to ask Swanigan that one.

Is it Painter’s job to ensure his players will have long NBA careers? Swanigan had a fantastic sophomore year and still wasn’t a lottery pick due to his physical limitations. Painter developed him and allowed him to showcase his abilities. Once he’s in the pros, it’s on the player. 

31 minutes ago, rico said:

Or maybe Blackhawk's HC is gonna be Painter's new assistant?  LOL  I jest.

Marc Davidson was a former Big Ten player for Illinois in the 90's.  Also played professionally overseas.  So, it's not like he's your average high school coach who has little in the way of big time experience.   

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Marc Davidson was a former Big Ten player for Illinois in the 90's.  Also played professionally overseas.  So, it's not like he's your average high school coach who has little in the way of big time experience.   

So you are saying he has ties to Deon Thomas?

54 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That's true but I'd be surprised by that especially if he did it before all of his boys graduate. 

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Fair to wait.  But like most of these rumors, little if no evidence.  Do any of us really see painter as a cheat?

Maybe Nike got involved.   Maybe Purdue is forward thinking and laid out his future marketing opportunities?  John Deere, case, Becks, rural king, tractor supply commercials.

In all seriousness I believe he was promised a lead role in FarmersOnly.com commercials. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt that since they only have one more spot to fill

They think they're going to land Christie and Ingram too. Giving them two 5*s and a 4* in that class. Not realistic I don't think. Could be proven wrong though. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

They think they're going to land Christie and Ingram too. Giving them two 5*s and a 4* in that class. Not realistic I don't think. Could be proven wrong though. 

As of now, we only have 1 scholarship so that wouldn’t work. Now if someone transfers after the year, it’s a diff story. As of now, I feel more confident in Ingram. Christie will have a tough time saying no to Duke. 

5 hours ago, rico said:

Whoa!  Furst is an Indiana kid.  And let's be completely honest here...CMP is pretty damn good coaching big men.  Caleb even brought that up in the interview I posted.

Is he really good at coaching them?  5 stars want to get into the league, none of his guys have materialized in the NBA at all. Etwuan Moore is the only decent one from Painter regime to do anything and it isn’t much as far as NBA standards go.  I think Painter is a hell of a coach but to say he’s great with big men is an over blown and over used statement.

5 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Is he really good at coaching them?  5 stars want to get into the league, none of his guys have materialized in the NBA at all. Etwuan Moore is the only decent one from Painter regime to do anything and it isn’t much as far as NBA standards go.  I think Painter is a hell of a coach but to say he’s great with big men is an over blown and over used statement.

Did I say "great"?  Doesn't matter about the NBA...this is college.  If a kid's goal is to make it to the NBA due to coaching development he needs to look Cal up.

27 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Great? Maybe not. Really good? Absolutely. And the fact that Purdue will legit feature bigs and play through them matters too. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Did I say "great"?  Doesn't matter about the NBA...this is college.  If a kid's goal is to make it to the NBA due to coaching development he needs to look Cal up.

If you don’t think it matters to kids than that’s fine.  Every kid from High 4 star to 5 star thinks they are going to the NBA that’s a fact.  Ask any of them.  It matters. I wasn’t directing the great part towards you, but everyone thinks Painter is a big man whisperer and he’s not. 

I apologize if it was already discussed in this thread and I missed it ...but does anyone else find in interesting that there was zero feel on fursts preferences to this point ( an indication he was taking his time ) and then out of the blue committing  less than a week after Lander signs with us ? Lander if I’m not mistaken is switching to Indy heat aau which is fursts team ...I had hoped that switch would put them together this summer and if lander reclassified would put us in a spot to get both and still have a slot available in 2021...anyone hear if these two don’t get along ?

Archived