Caleb Furst Commits to Purdue

cybergates

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Who has been developed into something worthwhile? None are even in the League. 

My point exactly.  I think Painter is a hell of a coach but he doesn’t develop bigs.  I’ll agree he has an offense that can feature bigs and understand bigs wanting to go there but not 5 star bigs.  

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

My point exactly.  I think Painter is a hell of a coach but he doesn’t develop bigs.  I’ll agree he has an offense that can feature bigs and understand bigs wanting to go there but not 5 star bigs.  

Caleb Swanigan was a 5 star big that was undersized who was a first round draft pick.  Swanigan developed a lot at Purdue.  Haas?  JJ? Williams has been a bright spot for them and he was ranked 154th. Haarms was the 352nd ranked recruit and he is doing more than I would have imagined.  

I would never bash Painter on development. He actually does a damn good job on that front.  The problem Painter has always had is recruiting consistently.  He does damn good with top 100 bigs when he gets them.  

2 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Caleb Swanigan was a 5 star big that was undersized who was a first round draft pick.  Swanigan developed a lot at Purdue.  Haas?  JJ? Williams has been a bright spot for them and he was ranked 154th. Haarms was the 352nd ranked recruit and he is doing more than I would have imagined.  

I would never bash Painter on development. He actually does a damn good job on that front.  The problem Painter has always had is recruiting consistently.  He does damn good with top 100 bigs when he gets them.  

Not bashing him at all, saying he’s not the great big man coach that everyone thinks he is.  Swanigan was good when he got there, he got better yes but not by leaps and bounds.  JJ was the same, pretty darn good when he got there.  Same goes for Crean.  Cody was pretty damn good when he got here.  Usually players get better when they get older. Again Painter is a hell of a coach, never said otherwise.

6 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Haarms is 8 feet tall and does not even start.  Exactly how has he developed?  

7 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Hit the nail on the head here. 

Just now, RoadToZion said:

But whats the goal of being developed? The NBA correct? None are there. Sure he runs a college offense through big men, but that doesn't mean he developes them into NBA talent. I like Painter as a coach, I honestly do. But saying he's some god in developing big men is just false. 

Most kids have a ceiling. 

Haas was too slow for the NBA game, but he was a damn good college player. That isn't something you develop for someone that freaking big.

Swanigan first round draft pick for a short big

JJ first round draft pick for a dude that struggled to gain weight.  

Most first round bigs are 5 stars and you get the athletic freak that needed to develop out there.  

With what Painter has had, he has done an amazing job on developing them.  

4 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

But whats the goal of being developed? The NBA correct? None are there. Sure he runs a college offense through big men, but that doesn't mean he developes them into NBA talent. I like Painter as a coach, I honestly do. But saying he's some god in developing big men is just false. 

So you think if Swanigan had gone to MSU or some other school, he’d be making a much bigger impact in the NBA? The guy had a killer sophomore year and still couldn’t make it into the lottery. Had nothing to do with his development. 

6 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

A college coaches job is to win games and do what is best for his team and not be an NBA feeder system.

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Not bashing him at all, saying he’s not the great big man coach that everyone thinks he is.  Swanigan was good when he got there, he got better yes but not by leaps and bounds.  JJ was the same, pretty darn good when he got there.  Same goes for Crean.  Cody was pretty damn good when he got here.  Usually players get better when they get older. Again Painter is a hell of a coach, never said otherwise.

Swanigan went from:

10 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 apg, 29% 3pt shooter, 52% from 2, PER of 15, 0.2 bpg

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

18 ppg, 13 rpg, 3 apg, 45% 3 pt shooter, 55% from 2, 0.8 bpg, and a PER OF....26......

HE FOR SURE DEVELOPED and his productivity doubled.  His shooting percentage from 3 significantly developed..  Don't die on this hill.  

11 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Swanigan went from averaging 10.2 PPG to 18.2 PPG and increased his rebounds from 8.3 to 12.5 per game. His 3% increased from 29% to 44%. Seems like pretty significant improvement. 

JJ backed up Calasan his freshman year and only averaged 5 and 3. 

By senior year, he averaged 20.5, 8.6, and was an All-American. 

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Marc Davidson was a former Big Ten player for Illinois in the 90's.  Also played professionally overseas.  So, it's not like he's your average high school coach who has little in the way of big time experience.   

What I would say is if he is ever named a coach...why wait until now? If he's good as your resume for him states he should have been on the staff sometime ago, right? Not just when he has a highly decorated recruit on his watch.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

What I would say is if he is ever named a coach...why wait until now? If he's good as your resume for him states he should have been on the staff sometime ago, right? Not just when he has a highly decorated recruit on his watch.

He needs the "off season" for this....

https://www.wane.com/high-school-sports/blackhawk-christians-marc-davidson-lifts-more-than-just-state-trophies/

And yet Swanigan rarely plays in the NBA which was the goal ultimately for a 5 star recruit.  

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Swanigan went from averaging 10.2 PPG to 18.2 PPG and increased his rebounds from 8.3 to 12.5 per game. His 3% increased from 29% to 44%. Seems like pretty significant improvement. 

JJ backed up Calasan his freshman year and only averaged 5 and 3. 

By senior year, he averaged 20.5, 8.6, and was an All-American. 

17 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Swanigan went from:

10 ppg, 8 rpg, 2 apg, 29% 3pt shooter, 52% from 2, PER of 15, 0.2 bpg

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

18 ppg, 13 rpg, 3 apg, 45% 3 pt shooter, 55% from 2, 0.8 bpg, and a PER OF....26......

HE FOR SURE DEVELOPED and his productivity doubled.  His shooting percentage from 3 significantly developed..  Don't die on this hill.  

1 NBA player (that doesn’t play much) which like I said all 5 star recruits ultimate goal is. 

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

And yet Swanigan rarely plays in the NBA which was the goal ultimately for a 5 star recruit.  

Now you are just making a crazy argument. College coaches have no impact on how a kid performs once they get in the NBA. Painter helped develop him into a first round draft pick even though he was too short to play PF in the NBA.  He got significantly better at Purdue.  Swanigan as a frosh, I didn't know how he would turn out and then as a soph, he demolished the B10.  His PER was too low for a big. He wasn't ready as a frosh.  Productive bigs typically are in the 20 from a PER standpoint.  Swanigan was a 15.  You really are going to die on this aren't you?

Archived