Caleb Furst Commits to Purdue

cybergates

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

And yet Swanigan rarely plays in the NBA which was the goal ultimately for a 5 star recruit.  

And? It can be his goal all he wants it to be, but it's not going to make him a perennial All-Star. He's on an NBA roster playing some minutes. What more do you want Painter to do? His been in the NBA a few years. Why haven't THEY turned him into a starter?

Could it be that he got 5 stars because people believed he'd be a successful NCAA player (which he was).

Painter is a really good coach that runs a very appealing offense for big men and shooters. Caleb's skill set will work well in Purdue's offense. 

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IUwins0708 said:

1 NBA player (that doesn’t play much) which like I said all 5 star recruits ultimate goal is. 

He has had four top 100 bigs.  Two were first round draft picks.  One is still in college and undersized and most likely not going to be one because of physical limitations.  The other is too slow to play in the NBA at size.  He has done an amazing job with only four top 100 bigs in his time frame.  Just stop.  

4 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Now you are just making a crazy argument. College coaches have no impact on how a kid performs once they get in the NBA. Painter helped develop him into a first round draft pick even though he was too short to play PF in the NBA.  He got significantly better at Purdue.  Swanigan as a frosh, I didn't know how he would turn out and then as a soph, he demolished the B10.  His PER was too low for a big. He wasn't ready as a frosh.  Productive bigs typically are in the 20 from a PER standpoint.  Swanigan was a 15.  You really are going to die on this aren't you?

I'm just going to say this. Seems like you might be adding more than necessary. Swanigan was a 5 star recruit that if he's lucky will be on a roster next year. Painter gets this rep as some big man developer. He isn't.

Shoot...Zeller, Vonleh, Bryant, Morgan.....with the latter being developed into an outside game his senior year. Maybe if Painter was this big man guru he would tell guys like Swanigan (short big man to use your words) to start developing or working on his shot outside 5 feet? I remember Crean running specific looks for Bryant to showcase his improved outside touch. Isn't rocket science.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm just going to say this. Seems like you might be adding more than necessary. Swanigan was a 5 star recruit that if he's lucky will be on a roster next year. Painter gets this rep as some big man developer. He isn't.

Shoot...Zeller, Vonleh, Bryant, Morgan.....with the latter being developed into an outside game his senior year. Maybe if Painter was this big man guru he would tell guys like Swanigan (short big man to use your words) to start developing or working on his shot outside 5 feet? I remember Crean running specific looks for Bryant to showcase his improved outside touch. Isn't rocket science.

Have you ever watched Swanigan and Purdue especially his sophomore season?  I am going to say no from your statements.

70% of his shots were not at the rim as a soph compared to 50% as a frosh.  He completely changed his game from frosh to soph.  

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think a lot of the problem is, Painter doesn't run an offense for big men that correlates well to the NBA. Painter likes the bigger, back to the basket guys for his program, and he does really well with them. Unfortunately, the NBA isn't looking for too many guys like that. You better be REALLY big and REALLY good if you are going to survive in the NBA with that kind of skill set. Painter's big men aren't really expected to step out and shoot a jumper either. Another thing needed for the NBA. 

Painter's big men fare well in college but they lack the skillset needed for the NBA. You can't really blame that on Painter. It's just not the guys he goes after for his system.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

AJ Hammons-22 games played in his professional career. Can't remember was he a small big man? Or which Painter excuse are we using for him? Trying to keep up.

AJ Hammons had some personal problems.  He had trouble at Carmel as well.  Coaches quit recruiting him in HS and he was suspended multiple times at Purdue.  I completely forgot about him.  Crean quit recruiting him at a point in time due to this.

AJ Hammons had some personal problems.  He had trouble at Carmel as well.  Coaches quit recruiting him in HS and he was suspended multiple times at Purdue.  I completely forgot about him.  Crean quit recruiting him at a point in time due to this.

Know the family. You don't need to tell me. PS...yes..I've watched Swanigan play too. I've made my points. Painter gets this rep as a guy who develops but he just isn't. Agree to disagree I guess. We'll keep moving on being a realist. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

AJ Hammons-22 games played in his professional career. Can't remember was he a small big man? Or which Painter excuse are we using for him? Trying to keep up.

Just to add:

"ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford last week said Hammons, if evaluated on talent alone, would be a lottery pick. Yet lingering questions about Hammons' ceiling represent the other half of a "conundrum" that Ford said could push the 23-year-old into the second round."

"If I told you every team in the league liked him, that wouldn’t be an exaggeration. They love the skill set. And if I also told you that every team in the league is afraid to take him, that also wouldn’t be an exaggeration."

Speaking of the Warriors, another ESPN analyst, Jay Bilas, said Tuesday he believes Hammons could be a possibility for the NBA Finals runner-up with the first round's final pick. He complimented Hammons' face-up shooting, offensive rebounding and rim-protecting defense.

And yet ...

"The thing I think it comes down to for him is how hard do you think he's going to play and how resolute is he to rev up that motor and really go after people," Bilas said. "He was very productive this year — much more so than he's been in the past. He's long-armed and very talented.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Know the family. You don't need to tell me. PS...yes..I've watched Swanigan play too. I've made my points. Painter gets this rep as a guy who develops but he just isn't. Agree to disagree I guess. We'll keep moving on being a realist. 

No you just blatantly ignore what is staring you directly in your face.  Swanigan completely changed his game.  It shows in the stats and where he played at from year one to two.  Hammons had talent and finally showed it at the end; however, multiple suspensions which were happening in HS as well, lack of motivation, etc. continued to slow him. Scouts have said this all along.  Amazing talent because of his shot blocking and ability to score, but the other issues prevented him from ever getting him where many thought he should be. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Cool! I don't agree and the numbers/stats/historical date don't agree as well. Have a good one!

What? His assists went up, his jump shots went up, his shooting percentages went up, his rebound went up, he went from a PER of 15 which isn't good for a big to 26....and the stats don't show it?  Wow....talk about blinders.

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

What? His assists went up, his jump shots went up, his shooting percentages went up, his rebound went up, he went from a PER of 15 which isn't good for a big to 26....and the stats don't show it?  Wow....talk about blinders.

Shots went up=players around him sucked even more.

Shooting %'s went up=you can't shoot from the outside so if you want to get drafted shoot from inside 5 feet hence the uptick in %

Rebounds went up=bad shooters on team means more boards which can sway stats...Jeffries only averaged 7 boards per game in 02 because our shooters were actually good...less chances

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Swanigan shot 44% from 3 lol. Even if Haas could shoot 3’s, his game didn’t translate to the NBA. 

Juwan Morgan? He only shot 29% from 3 last year. 

Hammons even improved his jumper quite a bit but the guy didn’t have the motor to last in the NBA. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Shooting %'s went up=you can't shoot from the outside so if you want to get drafted shoot from inside 5 feet hence the uptick in %

Rebounds went up=bad shooters on team means more boards which can sway stats...Jeffries only averaged 7 boards per game in 02 because our shooters were actually good...less chances

3-point percentage on that team aside from Swanigan:

Vince Edwards- 42%
Mathias- 45%
Thompson- 40%
Cline- 41%

Who are these bad shooters you’re referring to?

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

WOW.....

"Shots went up=players around him sucked even more."

They won the B10 that year by two games.  Those players really did suck......

"Shooting %'s went up=you can't shoot from the outside so if you want to get drafted shoot from inside 5 feet hence the uptick in %"

So he improved.....he improved his 3 pt shooting by 15% points.....He became a lot more efficient hence the significant improvement in his PER.  He scored in a lot of different ways and almost doubled his apg.......

"Rebounds went up=bad shooters on team means more boards which can sway stats...Jeffries only averaged 7 boards per game in 02 because our shooters were actually good...less chances"

Try again.......his Offensive Rebounds only went up 1 per game...his Defensive Rebounds went up 3 per game......

Vince Edwards - 42% from 3

Carson Edwards - 34% from 3 as a frosh

Mathias - 45% from 3

Thompson - 40% from 3

Kline 42% from 3....

Overall as a team...41% from 3......

That 23rd ranked offense per Kenpom was really, really struggling....with all those non-shooters....and that #1 B10 team was really struggling lacking the shooting.....

Let's look at stuff before we start getting everything wrong.....stats say what?

This actually does us a bit of a favor.  If he was not looking at IU anyway, we won't waste time recruiting him just so he ends up at another school.

(That is not saying...oh, you don't want him.  He would be a nice get, but there are several other nice gets in 21 for me to get worked up about Furst.)

1 hour ago, IU_Realist said:

WOW.....

"Shots went up=players around him sucked even more."

They won the B10 that year by two games.  Those players really did suck......

"Shooting %'s went up=you can't shoot from the outside so if you want to get drafted shoot from inside 5 feet hence the uptick in %"

So he improved.....he improved his 3 pt shooting by 15% points.....He became a lot more efficient hence the significant improvement in his PER.  He scored in a lot of different ways and almost doubled his apg.......

"Rebounds went up=bad shooters on team means more boards which can sway stats...Jeffries only averaged 7 boards per game in 02 because our shooters were actually good...less chances"

Try again.......his Offensive Rebounds only went up 1 per game...his Defensive Rebounds went up 3 per game......

Vince Edwards - 42% from 3

Carson Edwards - 34% from 3 as a frosh

Mathias - 45% from 3

Thompson - 40% from 3

Kline 42% from 3....

Overall as a team...41% from 3......

That 23rd ranked offense per Kenpom was really, really struggling....with all those non-shooters....and that #1 B10 team was really struggling lacking the shooting.....

Let's look at stuff before we start getting everything wrong.....stats say what?

Double WOW. Triple Tippecanoe and fun too WOW!

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

They are playing a ton more than any PU big men.

50% - top 100 bigs....5 stars 1 for 1...or 100% for Purdue....

Duke and Kentucky recruit better than most schools and they are dealing with top 10-20 big man.  The only one Purdue got was a 6'8" (actually 6'7") PF who still ended up being a first round draft pick.  Purdue does an amazing job developing their bigs and does an amazing job with their top 100 bigs.  You guys died on a hill and were proven wrong.  Just stop. 

50% - top 100 bigs....5 stars 1 for 1...or 100% for Purdue....

Duke and Kentucky recruit better than most schools and they are dealing with top 10-20 big man.  The only one Purdue got was a 6'8" (actually 6'7") PF who still ended up being a first round draft pick.  Purdue does an amazing job developing their bigs and does an amazing job with their top 100 bigs.  You guys died on a hill and were proven wrong.  Just stop. 

Ohhhhh kkkkkkkkk..... 🙄🤪.  Have a good evening Mrs. Painter....

Archived