Caleb Furst Commits to Purdue

cybergates

I alluded to this about a month ago, and until I see otherwise, will continue to believe what I do.

It won’t surprise me to learn that we are behind on Furst as compared to Kaufman and Landers. 

CAM. Had two public appearances that I am aware of this offseason,one at Huber Winery and one in Evansville. I will be honest, Southern Indiana geography is more than a little sketchy for me, so I don’t know how close the winery is to where Kaufman lives. It comes to no surprise to me that he went to Evansville given the high priority given to Landers. However, in reading an article written in the Evansville paper interviewing Archie, he says that “all parts of the state are important to the program.” 

I realize that these appearances are for the benefit of alumni and boosters. I realize recruiting is done consistently by the staff, and that I may be mistaken. However, when there are two targets playing in Ft Wayne, Furst and Goode, and when, since CAM was hired more than 2 years ago he has yet to make a public appearance in the state’s second largest city, I do wonder if there isn’t a cause and effect thing going on here.

I am sure you guys are gonna tell me I’m full of it, and I may very well be. But until shown otherwise, I at least will wonder whether CAM is neglecting this part of the state because he feels he has no shot with these kids or, coaches, handlers, etc. are steering kids elsewhere—to places like Purdue, since Pork Chop has an annual event up here—places that have seemed to prioritize this part of the state 

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I alluded to this about a month ago, and until I see otherwise, will continue to believe what I do.

It won’t surprise me to learn that we are behind on Furst as compared to Kaufman and Landers. 

CAM. Had two public appearances that I am aware of, one at Huber Winery and one in Evansville. I will be honest, Southern Indiana geography is more than a little sketchy for me, so I don’t know how close the winery is to where Kaufman lives. It comes to no surprise to me that he went to Evansville given the high priority given to Landers. However, in reading an article written in the Evansville paper interviewing Archie, he says that “all parts of the state are important to the program.” 

I realize that these appearances are for the benefit of alumni and boosters. I realize recruiting is done consistently by the staff, and that I may be mistaken. However, when there are two targets playing in Ft Wayne, Furst and Goode, and when, since CAM was hired more than 2 years ago he has yet to make a public appearance in the state’s second largest city, I do wonder if there isn’t a cause and effect thing going on here.

I am sure you guys are gonna tell me I’m full of it, and I may very well be. But until shown otherwise, I at least will wonder whether CAM is neglecting this part of the state because he feels he has no shot with these kids or, coaches, handlers, etc. are steering kids elsewhere—to places like Purdue, since Pork Chop has an annual event up here—places that have seemed to prioritize this part of the state 

Just my two cents. Relationships are two way streets. Southern Indiana has been far better for us vs Fort Wayne over the years/decades. I'd rather keep that pipeline flowing. Spending energy/time/resources has to be prioritized and assess the benefit/cost relationship of both. If I'm Archie....I'm making nice (his comment to Lander's best friend was beautiful) with Southern Indiana. 

I know I'm not supposed to bring up other area recruits but maybe Archie got a bad taste of the area with our most recent efforts of recruiting a Fort Wayne kid....but if the choice is Furst or Kauffman and Landers.....the latter all day every day. 

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

CAM. Had two public appearances that I am aware of this offseason,one at Huber Winery and one in Evansville. I will be honest, Southern Indiana geography is more than a little sketchy for me, so I don’t know how close the winery is to where Kaufman lives. It comes to no surprise to me that he went to Evansville given the high priority given to Landers. However, in reading an article written in the Evansville paper interviewing Archie, he says that “all parts of the state are important to the program.” 

Hubers is 12-15 miles from Silver Creek schools.

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my two cents. Relationships are two way streets. Southern Indiana has been far better for us vs Fort Wayne over the years/decades. I'd rather keep that pipeline flowing. Spending energy/time/resources has to be prioritized and assess the benefit/cost relationship of both. If I'm Archie....I'm making nice (his comment to Lander's best friend was beautiful) with Southern Indiana. 

I know I'm not supposed to bring up other area recruits but maybe Archie got a bad taste of the area with our most recent efforts of recruiting a Fort Wayne kid....but if the choice is Furst or Kauffman and Landers.....the latter all day every day. 

Yeah, I get what you are saying. Btw, there are two targets up here, Furst and Goode. From what I have seen from CAM thus far, he’s had backup plans. If Kaufman and Landers are the emphasis, I would hope Furst and Goode are not far behind as plan B.

In the time since I moved back to Indiana—1995, I have seen kids from NE Indiana go to Wisconsin, both Michigan schools, OSU, multiple kids to Purdue, Louisville, UK, and multiple smaller schools. There is obviously talent here. In that time, James Hardy and Luke Recker have worn the candy stripes and represented this part of the state.

Just seems a shame to me that it appears that lip service is all we can expect up here 

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The Huber speaking engagement has been going on forever. RMK was good friends of the family I believe.  That area has delivered several pretty good players to IU. I believe Kaufman will be the next one

And there used to be a coach’s tour that would make multiple stops throughout the state each summer 

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah, I get what you are saying. Btw, there are two targets up here, Furst and Goode. From what I have seen from CAM thus far, he’s had backup plans. If Kaufman and Landers are the emphasis, I would hope Furst and Goode are not far behind as plan B.

In the time since I moved back to Indiana—1995, I have seen kids from NE Indiana go to Wisconsin, both Michigan schools, OSU, multiple kids to Purdue, Louisville, UK, and multiple smaller schools. There is obviously talent here. In that time, James Hardy and Luke Recker have worn the candy stripes and represented this part of the state.

Just seems a shame to me that it appears that lip service is all we can expect up here 

Understand and get it all day long. For some reason there's a magic force that stops IU recruiting once you hit Marion along I69. 

16 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Posts not only on Purdue’s board but from some IU guys who quoted some of the mods on IU’s site. Both discussed Purdue being a legit contender for him. 

If you're referring to the Rivals IU site then you can toss that info.

Mods on that site know nothing at all. That site has had more staff turnover than a fast food restaurant, leaving basically no one plugged in to basketball information.

3 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

If you're referring to the Rivals IU site then you can toss that info.

Mods on that site know nothing at all. That site has had more staff turnover than a fast food restaurant, leaving basically no one plugged in to basketball information.

Not sure what site but I doubt it’s the rivals one. I’d guess it’s the new Peegs on 247. 

17 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Thought I had responded to this before but I didn’t. 

We can agree to disagree on this. There have been several indicators that Purdue is a serious contender for Kaufman. Don’t think it’s a courtesy thing at all. 

17 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Posts not only on Purdue’s board but from some IU guys who quoted some of the mods on IU’s site. Both discussed Purdue being a legit contender for him. 

Not sure what site but I doubt it’s the rivals one. I’d guess it’s the new Peegs on 247. 

So you make an assertion, but then don't even know what site it came from?

Yeah, that's rock solid info...

25 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Lol I post on the main rivals board. The IU posters mentioned it on there. I didn’t clarify which site their info came from. 

Well, now, that certainly puts the Windex to it...

So you're saying that something you got 3rd hand, and I'm being generous here, is an indicator that the people on this board who have inside knowledge of Kaufman's recruitment, are full of it...Gotcha...

16 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Blackmon. But I think it's odd we don't recruit FW more. Indiana (the state) is not the size of Texas. I think you should be able to recruit the entire state. If you can pull guys out of West Lafayette, you should be able to recruit FW. 

Can it just be that Archie prefers Kaufman’s fit to what we are trying to do here better than Furst? Don’t get me wrong I’d love to have both but there will only be room for one recruit at the 4 as they both aren’t going to the same school. Purdue and Michigan St and some others like running their offense through the low post and having multiple bigs and then you have a team like Indiana that will take advantage of post opportunities but value having their bigs that can step out shoot/drive switch out on defense. I think Kaufman is more comfortable than Furst away from the basket and Furst is better back to the basket. I think Kaufman athletically has more room to grow. Given his proximity to IU and hopefully recruiting links..it would be natural for IU to emphasize the one they have the best shot at and actually the one that may have the better fit and up side. I think at worst Kaufman could be a Jeff Newton and maybe best Alan Henderson. I’d be thrilled to land him.

21 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Blackmon. But I think it's odd we don't recruit FW more. Indiana (the state) is not the size of Texas. I think you should be able to recruit the entire state. If you can pull guys out of West Lafayette, you should be able to recruit FW. 

We can recruit the whole country obviously. I mean we just landed an east coast kid and hopefully another from Minnesota. That said our bread and butter is Basically Indy and south. You get to Fort Wayne and up north there and it’s actually closer to East Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Purdue much less Notre Dame than IU. I’m sure the TV/Radio and popularity of those schools probably even over shadows the state school of Indiana so it’s no easy battle to go up there and pull kids out. Not that we shouldn’t do a better job but we definitively need to raise our level to get back to the point we are even with some of those programs in their own backyard. We win a couple back to back B1G titles and have some deep runs in the tournament then we may see some more inroads there.

Archived