Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, IndyHoosier22 said:

“Fits the Ramsey mold” is probably not something you want to hear about your NFL QB. I loved Ramsey but that man was never touching the pros for a reason. 

If you saw Fields miss the perfectly called play and wide open TE in corner Thursday night it makes you sink to certain levels....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Tom Allen is as good as his assistants. He lost quality OC and DC then downgraded. Now he’s got replacements in place but they don’t have the talent at important positions they had a couple years ago. The program is sliding down hill quickly and unless they find a QB that is a difference maker and the OL can block up front TA isn’t going to be able to turn things around. The skill positions are good enough although they really need at least 1 stud at RB or WR that they just don’t have right now. 

I ageee with everything except the fact that we do have good RB’s that we don’t play.. henderson and Lucas should be getting the Carrie’s.. Henderson was graded our best offensive player through 6 games yet he doesn’t start. It’s embarrassing. It took me 1 game to see he was better than shivers.. just like Hiller Allen seems to hold on way to long to players as well

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I ageee with everything except the fact that we do have good RB’s that we don’t play.. henderson and Lucas should be getting the Carrie’s.. Henderson was graded our best offensive player through 6 games yet he doesn’t start. It’s embarrassing. It took me 1 game to see he was better than shivers.. just like Hiller Allen seems to hold on way to long to players as well

I agree with this. Shivers is a good change of pace back, but he shouldn't be starting over Henderson.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

All 3 RB’s can do some things when utilized properly. None of them are real difference makers however and that was the whole point I was trying to make. 

• Like 1

Here's what I mean when I say this team lacks difference makers. 

In 2019 IU had the following

• Peyton Ramsey and Michael Penix at QB both are better than what Bazelak has shown at this point. 
  • Stevie Scott who's a better lead back than anyone IU has currently. 
  • Whop Philyor, Peyton Hendershot, Ty Fryfogle, and Nick Westbrook as pass catchers. 

Then in 2020 IU lost Ramsey and Westbrook from that list. That's why IU has success those two years more than anything else. I could make the case that IU has deeper rooms at WR and RB now than they did in 2019 but they don't have the top end difference makers. Camper has been pretty good and you could make the case for him but that's about it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DC2345 said:

All 3 RB’s can do some things when utilized properly. None of them are real difference makers however and that was the whole point I was trying to make. 

Agree to disagree.. I think Henderson could be but hasn’t been handed the starting role to do that. I also think Lucas should be used more in the slot…But much respect.. appreciate what you bring to the board 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Here's what I mean when I say this team lacks difference makers. 

In 2019 IU had the following

• Peyton Ramsey and Michael Penix at QB both are better than what Bazelak has shown at this point. 
  • Stevie Scott who's a better lead back than anyone IU has currently. 
  • Whop Philyor, Peyton Hendershot, Ty Fryfogle, and Nick Westbrook as pass catchers. 

Then in 2020 IU lost Ramsey and Westbrook from that list. That's why IU has success those two years more than anything else. I could make the case that IU has deeper rooms at WR and RB now than they did in 2019 but they don't have the top end difference makers. Camper has been pretty good and you could make the case for him but that's about it. 

You have a good point here but again I’ve got to disagree.. I think DJ Mathews, Camper, Simmons, Henderson, and Lucas are all good enough playmakers to win… I also like Bazelak and Barner… but In 2019 we had one heck of an offensive coordinator who is killing it as a HC st Washington and a way better O Line… 

our offense can’t be what it should because…

1. Henderson and Lucas aren’t playing enough 

2. The O line has been such a disaster there is no time to throw the ball downfield and the offense play book is basically cut in half because of it..

3. we lost our great offensive coordinator. 

Even with our OC from 19 our offensive line has completely held this team hostage and we don’t play the right guys.

continue to shoot ourselves in the foot when you have to be on top of your game in the BIG East to stay alive. 

On the other hand the BIG West has got to be the worst division in college football. The divisions need to end ASAP. Continuing to make Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, and occasionally really good Michigan State beat up on themselves and nock each other out of better bowl games  is stupid. 

the SEC already has an advantage with one less conference game and we don’t help ourselves by stacking everyone good on one side.. shouldn’t even have the BIG title game it’s never close 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Agree to disagree.. I think Henderson could be but hasn’t been handed the starting role to do that. I also think Lucas should be used more in the slot…But much respect.. appreciate what you bring to the board 

Thanks. Henderson might be able to but one guy is not going to make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Henderson is averaging 4.5 per carry and Shivers is at 4.1. Scott averaged 4.7 and also had over 200 yards receiving at 8.1 per catch. Henderson could probably produce closer to that production than Shivers but until I see it I'm hesitant to say that he'd be a dude as a lead back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Thanks. Henderson might be able to but one guy is not going to make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Henderson is averaging 4.5 per carry and Shivers is at 4.1. Scott averaged 4.7 and also had over 200 yards receiving at 8.1 per catch. Henderson could probably produce closer to that production than Shivers but until I see it I'm hesitant to say that he'd be a dude as a lead back. 

.2 yards behind Scott when he had a better line and I think Henderson has like 3 receiving touchdowns 

1 minute ago, rico said:

Personally, I don't consider either a "difference maker."  

Overall he wasn't but he complemented the other playmakers well with the way he carried the ball and was consistent at gaining positive yardage due to his size and strength. He was better in 18 than he was in 19. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Overall he wasn't but he complemented the other playmakers well with the way he carried the ball and was consistent at gaining positive yardage due to his size and strength. He was better in 18 than he was in 19. 

I know what you are saying.  And concur.  We need difference makers.

• Like 1

It's sad, but this was another game that should have been won.  The team played much better than over the past few games, but still found a way to lose.  Fumble just when you are in position to go win.  Whatever!

Maybe we can surprise everyone and beat Rutgers, which would have seemed like an easy thing to do when the season began.