Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I just don't understand it. Even other historically bad programs have exceptional season on occasion.

We had ours two years ago. Yeah, it was shortened, but we beat Michigan, MSU, PSU and Wisconsin, and even put a scare into OSU. We probably won't live long enough to see a season where that happens again. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Oof.  Glad I saved money to go to basketball games (both men’s and women's games) instead of football.  When they decide to invest money into the program and take it seriously, I’ll invest my hard earned money in buying tickets, concessions and everything else.  Until then, I’m sticking with the basketball programs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Watched the second half out of the corner of my eye due to a house full of company. Another IU football game, another kick to the crotch. 

Who kicked you in the crotch?  Mother-in-Law?  Best friend?  Little Keet?  Pizza delivery guy?  Whoever it was, tough crowd.

25 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Hey we we’re getting better. Then lost some key assistant coaches and it’s being a backward slide ever since! 

Yes, compare that to our last bowl opponent, Ole Miss, currently ranked in the top 10.

Ole Miss football coach Lane Kiffin is filling out his third staff in three years as Rebels football coach.

Kiffin's staff has experienced plenty of turnover after a 10-3 season and a trip to the Sugar Bowl. He has to replace three coordinators and a number of additional position coaches after some assistants opted to leave for other jobs and other assistants were not retained.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, compare that to our last bowl opponent, Ole Miss, currently ranked in the top 10.

Ole Miss football coach Lane Kiffin is filling out his third staff in three years as Rebels football coach.

Kiffin's staff has experienced plenty of turnover after a 10-3 season and a trip to the Sugar Bowl. He has to replace three coordinators and a number of additional position coaches after some assistants opted to leave for other jobs and other assistants were not retained.

The other team we played recently Ina bowl game is doing great as well (Tennessee).  Couple of Hoosiers got to have fun in that environment too....

https://twitter.com/insidethehall/status/1581443966532100097?cxt=HHwWgoCllZS6tfIrAAAA

We want to win some games?  Getting kids who have a brother who is a star on our campus and who lives just a shot up 37 from the school to go to Indiana sure would be a start....

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The other team we played recently Ina bowl game is doing great as well (Tennessee).  Couple of Hoosiers got to have fun in that environment too....

https://twitter.com/insidethehall/status/1581443966532100097?cxt=HHwWgoCllZS6tfIrAAAA

We want to win some games?  Getting kids who have a brother who is a star on our campus and who lives just a shot up 37 from the school to go to Indiana sure would be a start....

JMHO but IU has failed at getting those in state QBs for quite awhile now.  Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler, and James Banks come to mind as well as the most recent one that chose the Vols.  

• Like 1

Tom Allen is as good as his assistants. He lost quality OC and DC then downgraded. Now he’s got replacements in place but they don’t have the talent at important positions they had a couple years ago. The program is sliding down hill quickly and unless they find a QB that is a difference maker and the OL can block up front TA isn’t going to be able to turn things around. The skill positions are good enough although they really need at least 1 stud at RB or WR that they just don’t have right now. 

• Like 2

I'll echo others but was talking about it last night with friends over many beers and I keep coming back to this.

We or I specifically should have paid more attention or given more weight to how important our staff was in 19/20. Losing a guy like KD was big but our DC to head coaching spot, Hart to Michigan....McCullough...on and on and we've just missed.

TA is the CEO of our program. I expect him to make serious changes in offseason once again unfortunately....and if we need to hire a coach who can bring 5-6 recruits via portal or whatever with him. So be it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'll just take another Kellen Lewis or Peyton Ramsey. They were perfect for our program. Quick decision makers with quick feet. 

Not to derail but my Bears buddy was hoping Fields got hurt on Thursday night just a little because Siemian (Northwestern kid) is similar to Lewis/Ramsey mold...quick decision and make the throw.

13 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

We had ours two years ago. Yeah, it was shortened, but we beat Michigan, MSU, PSU and Wisconsin, and even put a scare into OSU. We probably won't live long enough to see a season where that happens again. 

True. 

The acronym "SOS" has two meanings and both apply to this program.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I really like Allen, and think he wants the best for IU. He can recruit, and he seems to develop players. Not ready to give up on him.

He just seems blindly loyal to certain coaches and players. To a fault. His failure to adapt and make appropriate changes may be his undoing. Hope he takes a long look at needed changes and makes them. The Hiller situation makes me question whether he can or will. He's not going anywhere,  so I'll roll with him and the Hoosiers.

REcruit and develop what? Who has gotten better? The players making plays are transfers. The only change needed is Tom Allen. 3rd and 3 and he is calling zone coverage. Hell i could walk my fat ass 3 yards and find an open spot . Not just once but a few times he made that call. Easy first downs when you dont man press off the line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

We need so much!! 

1. Better coaching

2. Better offensive line talent.

3. QB that can adjust and win. 
4 . Defense that can put a game away! 

5 Running backs that can make plays. 
Defense that can get turnovers! 

So, you’re saying we’re all set at kicker and punter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Tom Allen is as good as his assistants. He lost quality OC and DC then downgraded. Now he’s got replacements in place but they don’t have the talent at important positions they had a couple years ago. The program is sliding down hill quickly and unless they find a QB that is a difference maker and the OL can block up front TA isn’t going to be able to turn things around. The skill positions are good enough although they really need at least 1 stud at RB or WR that they just don’t have right now. 

I guess the question I would have is how our recruiting classes under Allen are ranked higher than perhaps ever at IU, but our talent level continues to drop?  Lack of development?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUJoe said:

I guess the question I would have is how our recruiting classes under Allen are ranked higher than perhaps ever at IU, but our talent level continues to drop?  Lack of development?

The talent level isn’t dropping overall. It’s just that’s they don’t have the 2-3 dudes that you have to have in order to win consistently. Development and scheme can play a factor as well. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Not to derail but my Bears buddy was hoping Fields got hurt on Thursday night just a little because Siemian (Northwestern kid) is similar to Lewis/Ramsey mold...quick decision and make the throw.

“Fits the Ramsey mold” is probably not something you want to hear about your NFL QB. I loved Ramsey but that man was never touching the pros for a reason. 

• Like 1