IUBB 22/‘23

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Something I just thought about...

1972-73 IU had a 2nd year coach that had improved IU and had modest success his first year by preaching defense first

2022-23 IU has a second year coach that improved IU and had modest success his first year by preaching defense first

In 1972-73 IU had a highly rated freshman point guard 

In 2022-23 IU has a highly rated freshman point guard 

In 1972-73 IU had a Senior All-American candidate at center 

In 2022-23 IU has a Senior All-American candidate at center  

50 years ago, the 1972-73 IU team won the Big 10 Championship and went to the NCAA Final 4...

Just sayin'

I like the way you think. That team was surprisingly good and set the table for what was to come. Can this one do the same? Maybe, just maybe they can.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

1972-73 IU had a 2nd year coach that had improved IU and had modest success his first year by preaching defense first

2022-23 IU has a second year coach that improved IU and had modest success his first year by preaching defense first

50 years ago, the 1972-73 IU team won the Big 10 Championship and went to the NCAA Final 4...

Just sayin'

Someone on the search team for hiring Knight said during his interview, everyone in the room quickly knew they were listening to the new IU basketball coach, not just a coaching candidate. 

Knight was in charge from the moment he stepped on campus, even before he was hired.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Just sayin'

2001-02

Had a second year coach who preached defense who went to the championship game

Edited by IU Scott

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

15 days until we beat the pants off Morehead!

How about this for hype?

Big Ten analyst watched IU basketball practice: “This team essentially has two starting fives”

I won't quote the article. Give TDH some clicks instead. 

Which means 1-3 guys don’t play much but you have great practices and depth 

heard JG is a 3 now 

the good news is there a d playing time next year for the young guys to work for 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Which means 1-3 guys don’t play much but you have great practices and depth 

heard JG is a 3 now 

the good news is there a d playing time next year for the young guys to work for 

Hopefully they can maintain year to year depth. Would be nice to have experienced bench guys ready to move into the starting rotation. 

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just sayin'

Now that’s hype!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Just sayin'

I remember the 72-73 season well as I was on campus.

In 72-73 there was a coach of a top rated team whose name was Bill Muselman (Minny).

In 22-23 there is a coach of a top rated team whose name is Bill Muselman (Ark).

In 72-73 a guy named Bill Walton led UCLA over IU in FF after a controversial foul call establishing himself as a big pain in the butt for IU fans.

in 22-23 that same Bill Walton is still a big pain in the butt for IU fans every time they have to hear him broadcast a college game.

In 72-73 on the IU staff was John Hulls.

In 22-23 on the IU staff is his grandson Jordan Hulls.

Just Sayin'

Actually IU just sneaked in to the NCAA tournament that year.  This was just before the expanded field; thus, only one team from the B1G could go to the big dance. IU was behind Minny by 1 game with 2 to go.  IU had 2 games left with @Iowa and Purdue.  However, Minny had a much more favorable schedule as they played Iowa in Williams Arena and at Northwestern which was a terrible team that year 9-15 (3-11 B1G).  If there was a tie, B1G rules would award the NCAA berth to Minny.  So Minny had to lose both games and IU had to win both.  IU beat Iowa but Minny lost to them.  On the final Saturday we beat Purdue and afterwards Minny was upset by NW.  Minny's line-up included future baseball Hall of Famer, Dave Winfield and Bill Muselman was their 2d year coach.  That might there was a wild celebration in Bloomington.  Two of my hall mates got arrested for illegal fireworks.  The judge was sympathetic and let them off for "extenuating circumstances".   And as they say "the rest is history."

• Like 7

7 hours ago, slojoe said:

I remember the 72-73 season well as I was on campus.

In 72-73 there was a coach of a top rated team whose name was Bill Muselman (Minny).

In 22-23 there is a coach of a top rated team whose name is Bill Muselman (Ark).

In 72-73 a guy named Bill Walton led UCLA over IU in FF after a controversial foul call establishing himself as a big pain in the butt for IU fans.

in 22-23 that same Bill Walton is still a big pain in the butt for IU fans every time they have to hear him broadcast a college game.

In 72-73 on the IU staff was John Hulls.

In 22-23 on the IU staff is his grandson Jordan Hulls.

Just Sayin'

Actually IU just sneaked in to the NCAA tournament that year.  This was just before the expanded field; thus, only one team from the B1G could go to the big dance. IU was behind Minny by 1 game with 2 to go.  IU had 2 games left with @Iowa and Purdue.  However, Minny had a much more favorable schedule as they played Iowa in Williams Arena and at Northwestern which was a terrible team that year 9-15 (3-11 B1G).  If there was a tie, B1G rules would award the NCAA berth to Minny.  So Minny had to lose both games and IU had to win both.  IU beat Iowa but Minny lost to them.  On the final Saturday we beat Purdue and afterwards Minny was upset by NW.  Minny's line-up included future baseball Hall of Famer, Dave Winfield and Bill Muselman was their 2d year coach.  That might there was a wild celebration in Bloomington.  Two of my hall mates got arrested for illegal fireworks.  The judge was sympathetic and let them off for "extenuating circumstances".   And as they say "the rest is history."

Remember those years very well...

That was the year after the disgraceful attack by Minnesota players against Ohio State...

And then 1974 when we lost the heartbreaking playoff game to Michigan... 

14 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Ready?  Oh, heck yes.  Beyond ready, especially with how the football season is going.

By chance has anyone seen a schedule of our games with TV broadcast for each game?  It's getting to be that time to investigate which streaming provider to subscribe to.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/2022-2023-indiana-mens-basketball-schedule-updated-with-tv-and-game-time-information

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Ready?  Oh, heck yes.  Beyond ready, especially with how the football season is going.

By chance has anyone seen a schedule of our games with TV broadcast for each game?  It's getting to be that time to investigate which streaming provider to subscribe to.

Yep, it’s that time of year when I have to buy a streaming platform for IUBB season. Last year I went with Sling or something like that over Youtube TV. Might just bite the bullet and switch back to Youtube TV. And of course I will be a sucker and buy B1G+ for one month. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Yep, it’s that time of year when I have to buy a streaming platform for IUBB season. Last year I went with Sling or something like that over Youtube TV. Might just bite the bullet and switch back to Youtube TV. And of course I will be a sucker and buy B1G+ for one month. 

Cheapest thing is to just buy a Roku or Fire stick from Bestbuy which includes  a free month of Fubo.  You can do it every month you just need to use a new email address.  I've probably got a dozen Rokus laying around the house at this point. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Cheapest thing is to just buy a Roku or Fire stick from Bestbuy which includes  a free month of Fubo.  You can do it every month you just need to use a new email address.  I've probably got a dozen Rokus laying around the house at this point. 

I should start a company where you open an account and pay for a package that has how many free trials you want.  You pick where and I manage the free trials by creating new emails for them and I send to your primary email each month the login and password for the free trial. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I should start a company where you open an account and pay for a package that has how many free trials you want.  You pick where and I manage the free trials by creating new emails for them and I send to your primary email each month the login and password for the free trial. 

You found your first customer. 

• Like 1