IUBB 22/‘23

I have a random question and I thought I'd ask here because for me I'm really only concerned with the answer when it has to do with IU basketball.  

I just recently cut the cord and now have YouTube TV.  Back on cable I'd just always add extra time to any games manually, but it doesn't seem like there's an option to do that in YouTube.  I've seen their "auto extend" functionality work pretty well with NFL games, but just wanted to see what everyone's experience with, say, a random Thursday night game on BTN (like tonight).  I usually watch live, but with these late games sometimes I'm pausing and getting kids to bed, etc. in the middle of the game.  Do the games get extended automatically pretty well or do you have trouble with things getting cut off before the end?  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Just now, HoosierMama said:

I have a random question and I thought I'd ask here because for me I'm really only concerned with the answer when it has to do with IU basketball.  

I just recently cut the cord and now have YouTube TV.  Back on cable I'd just always add extra time to any games manually, but it doesn't seem like there's an option to do that in YouTube.  I've seen their "auto extend" functionality work pretty well with NFL games, but just wanted to see what everyone's experience with, say, a random Thursday night game on BTN (like tonight).  I usually watch live, but with these late games sometimes I'm pausing and getting kids to bed, etc. in the middle of the game.  Do the games get extended automatically pretty well or do you have trouble with things getting cut off before the end?  Thanks in advance!

It works great... I've never missed a minute.

Couldn't be happier with YTTV

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

I just recently cut the cord and now have YouTube TV.    I usually watch live, but with these late games sometimes I'm pausing and getting kids to bed, etc. in the middle of the game.  Do the games get extended automatically pretty well or do you have trouble with things getting cut off before the end?  Thanks in advance!

You can also set it up to record games on any channel, at any time, by TEAM. So once you set up IU to record MBB, then it will record all games, no matter the time, no matter the station (except BTN- of course). Works great. Don't have to worry about setting up the DVR function for each game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DWB said:

You can also set it up to record games on any channel, at any time, by TEAM. So once you set up IU to record MBB, then it will record all games, no matter the time, no matter the station (except BTN- of course). Works great. Don't have to worry about setting up the DVR function for each game.

Thanks!  I did do that -- I am nervous about possibly getting games cut off if they go past the scheduled ending time.  Seems like they extend automatically but wasn't sure how well that worked on these non-marquee type games.  Cancelled the BTN- yesterday... glad to be done with that for the season!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

Thanks!  I did do that -- I am nervous about possibly getting games cut off if they go past the scheduled ending time.  Seems like they extend automatically but wasn't sure how well that worked on these non-marquee type games. 

I believe that it records 1 minute past the end of the broadcast feed. So if ESPN cuts away from an IU game for the last 2 minutes in order to televise their favorite ACC team playing Little Sisters of the Poor, then the DVR would cut off since the IU game was no longer televised. At least that is my understanding...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is how they word it..

"Sports recordings will generally be extended 30 minutes beyond the scheduled end time in case games run long. YouTube TV may also detect the specific end time of a game and extend the recording to that point. All other recordings will be extended 1 minute past the scheduled end time in case programs run long." 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This is how they word it..

"Sports recordings will generally be extended 30 minutes beyond the scheduled end time in case games run long. YouTube TV may also detect the specific end time of a game and extend the recording to that point. All other recordings will be extended 1 minute past the scheduled end time in case programs run long." 

I think you found the exact thing I'm worried about -- trying to determine how well does the "may also detect" works. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It works great... I've never missed a minute.

Couldn't be happier with YTTV

My only issue with YTTV is ABC constantly is buffering…my wife says MTV as well but I’ve never watched it. ABC is unwatchable so college football on Saturdays on that channel sucks.

That said from what I hear is that isn’t Googles fault…it’s the ABC stream issue.

Edited by dgambill

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My only issue with YTTV is ABC constantly is buffering…my wife says MTV as well but I’ve never watched it. ABC is unwatchable so college football on Saturdays on that channel sucks.

That said from what I hear is that isn’t Googles fault…it’s the ABC stream issue.

How fast is your internet?

I don't watch much beyond news and sports, and I haven't had buffering issues on any channels, ABC included...

My internet is super fast though... 

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure how YTTV works, but can you use your login to YTTV.... download the ESPN app on your TV and watch that way? 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

Not sure how YTTV works, but can you use your login to YTTV.... download the ESPN app on your TV and watch that way? 

Hmm. Haven’t tried it. Usually I just watch a different game but I’m sure there is a way to watch ABC not on YTTV. Probably Disney trying to force people to watch on their app.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That does indeed work... For the ABC app itself too... YouTube TV is listed as a provider (and you have to have a provider to stream ESPN or ABC from their respective apps)

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I haven't had any trouble watching ABC on YTTV via the local RTV stream.  I do have fiber internet and upgraded to 1gig prior to cutting the cord so I'm sure that helps some.  Hope some of these other suggestions help.   

• Like 1

Of course now I was tasked with watching the house while a technician came in to my son’s house with his laser transit to measure the bar area for a template to CNC cut a quartz countertop. I warned the technician to be careful saying Google as my son had turned the house into a smart home and you never know what happens after! Google obliged bye answering the question is not understood.

Edited by Drroogh
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DWB said:

I’ve been recording all IU games using YouTube TV for a couple of years now….works great.

• Like 2