IUBB 22/‘23

Website won't allow me to scroll through other pages and all that... so I can't find the NIL thread.... this post can be moved to that thread if needed... 

But Dolson sent an email yesterday.... asking for donations to NIL ..... 

So... lemme get this straight-- you just signed a TV contract that is going to up your profits to 80-100 million a year, you charge insane prices at events for concessions, IU itself is worth over $3 billion, but yet... we, the fans, have to shell out more money for these athletes to have NIL money? lol 

Like I get it.. I'm sure I'm going to hear the "well that money isn't allowed to go there" BS lines, and whatever about that. But it is laughable to hear those numbers and then get emails like that from university athletic directors. Out of touch with reality would be a good way to describe an email like that. 

I think I would prefer these athletes to be university employees. 

Edited by btownqb

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Website won't allow me to scroll through other pages and all that... so I can't find the NIL thread.... this post can be moved to that thread if needed... 

So... lemme get this straight-- you just signed a TV contract that is going to up your profits to 80-100 million a year, you charge insane prices at events for concessions, IU itself is worth over $3 billion, but yet... we, the fans, have to shell out more money for these athletes to have NIL money? lol 

Like I get it.. I'm sure I'm going to hear the "well that money isn't allowed to go there" BS lines, and whatever about that. But it is laughable to hear those numbers and then get emails like that from university athletic directors. Out of touch with reality would be a good way to describe an email like that. 

If you think that's crazy, just think about how crazy it was just a short time ago before the NIL where the athletes weren't allowed to make money in any way outside of their scholarships on anything remotely associated with sports or their likeness. Yet they saw how much money the schools were bringing in due to their play. Walk-ons and partial scholarship athletes had it even worse.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

If you think that's crazy, just think about how crazy it was just a short time ago before the NIL where the athletes weren't allowed to make money in any way outside of their scholarships on anything remotely associated with sports or their likeness. Yet they saw how much money the schools were bringing in due to their play. Walk-ons and partial scholarship athletes had it even worse.

You meant to say where they got a world class education paid for, were given incredible amounts of preferential treatment compared to regular students, and were able to make connections/network at unbelievable levels that if they were smart would set them up for life... 

You think I felt bad for college athletes? Not even close. 

"had it even worse" ...I witness every day "people who have it worse", these athletes didn't have that, or even close to it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You meant to say where they got a world class education paid for, were given incredible amounts of preferential treatment compared to regular students, and were able to make connections/network at unbelievable levels that if they were smart would set them up for life... 

You think I felt bad for college athletes? Not even close. 

"had it even worse" ...I witness every day "people who have it worse", these athletes didn't have that, or even close to it. 

I was 100000% on your side until coaches got $10 million and bowl president’s make $1 million 

• Like 2

Just now, Purdue7 said:

I think I was 9-0 

NCAA got laughed out of Supreme Court 

we all love the free market & capitalism 

Then use the money they are getting from capitalism to pay for the capitalist ideas? lol 80-100 million A YEAR for TV ALONE... but you're asking for donations? That's a tough sell. Worth 3 billion dollars but asking for donations? Tax exempt, but you're asking for donations? 

I don't count an athlete equal to a coach. I don't count an athlete equal to a bowl president. I am confused how anyone could think otherwise. There is a hierarchy in life. If they need that much money... maybe college sports isn't where they should be. Maybe they should be in the workforce, like many of my classmates had to be after graduating HS because they couldn't afford college. This idea that the athletes were mistreated is absurd though. 

Medical treatments for athletes and options need to improve, I can say that.. and I mentioned about the lack of being able to work as an issue, but these guys were also given stipends along with their free education and housing, as well. 

Ranted a little bit. My point here truly isn't that NIL is "bad"... it's just insane to think about the TV contracts that were just agreed upon and then get emails like that. Out of touch. 

• Like 2

It does seem inevitable that players are going to get a cut of that massive pie of tv money.  Sure they get the education and benefits that go along with it.  

Here's a thought.   Why is it room and board is included in an athletic scholarship,  probably even includes a bus card.  Why not access to a fleet of athlete vehicles? Maybe a university could have rentable cars but the athletes have an unlimited tab?  If the university can't cut them a pay check, continue to think outside the box on how to sweeten the experience even more.  UK and UofL were early innovators with their athlete dorms being straight up off the hook.   

But yeah.  I'm not giving a dime towards nil when the university is raking in this cash and sitting on these endowments and has boosters dropping millions in donations, tickets and merchandise so expensive only the privileged can attend regularly.   The whole thing is out of control.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

I think I was 9-0 

NCAA got laughed out of Supreme Court 

we all love the free market & capitalism 

pay the coaches in free education & free rooms & books 

See, that's the thing.  Almost all of the coaches were once student athletes themselves, and they were paid "in free education & free rooms & books" when they were student athletes.  It paved the way for them to make millions of dollars as coaches or make a lot of money doing whatever else they wanted to do.  Just because people nowadays don't place any value on it doesn't mean it actually has no value.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1