IUBB 22/‘23

16 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

See, that's the thing.  Almost all of the coaches were once student athletes themselves, and they were paid "in free education & free rooms & books" when they were student athletes.  It paved the way for them to make millions of dollars as coaches or make a lot of money doing whatever else they wanted to do.  Just because people nowadays don't place any value on it doesn't mean it actually has no value.  

Awesome post, sir. 

Just now, Purdue7 said:

When the NCAA is begging congress to regulate their billion dollar business built on the back of free labor…..😳

I will concede your point that free education and benefits are awesome 

I’m not arguing that 

When is making $50,000 a year free labor. You do realize the NCAA has to pay for all the other sports that are not football and basketball.  So if you start giving more to the players it will eliminate all the other college sports. It will eliminate all of kids not getting the opportunity to go to college because the schools didn't have the money to fund their sports.

4 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

When the NCAA is begging congress to regulate their billion dollar business built on the back of free labor…..😳

I will concede your point that free education and benefits are awesome 

I’m not arguing that 

I think the people who should be griping are high school athletes and their parents.  I mean, my son plays high school football, brings thousands of dollars in for these schools every Friday night in the fall, and we still have to pay fees for him to play, pay for his football equipment, pay the full cost for his education, and pay public school taxes, lol.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

I think the people who should be griping are high school athletes and their parents.  I mean, my son plays high school football, brings thousands of dollars in for these schools every Friday night in the fall, and we still have to pay fees for him to play, pay for his football equipment, pay the full cost for his education, and pay public school taxes, lol.

Bingo.  

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Plenty of people in communities that either have children who have graduated, have children who don't participate in extracurricular activities....or don't have children or their kids have moved on. Asking a community of any size to pay for 50 kids choice to play a sport or any activity? Good luck with that one. 

Trust me I get your point. But selling the idea that 50 kids should have their fees paid for? Even in a town that only has 10,000 population....talking about  what .0005% of the population. That will never win. We do fundraisers year round to support athletics/band/other extra curricular activities....car washes, cleaning up at the 500 after race day....anything and everything to pay for it. 

I was not being serious, just joking.  That being said one could just as easily make that argument as they can for college student athletes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

When is making $50,000 a year free labor. You do realize the NCAA has to pay for all the other sports that are not football and basketball.  So if you start giving more to the players it will eliminate all the other college sports. It will eliminate all of kids not getting the opportunity to go to college because the schools didn't have the money to fund their sports.

NCAA gets money from football?

16 hours ago, IUJoe said:

for sure.  we pay a lot of money for our son to play on his high school basketball team.  doesn't seem right at all.  even worse - my oldest son won 2 state championships and we had to buy his rings!  buy his state championship ring that he worked his butt off for years to attain.  what sense does that make?  he actually told us not to buy one for him because they are so expensive and he didn't need one.  of course we still bought them, but there is something wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

for sure.  we pay a lot of money for our son to play on his high school basketball team.  doesn't seem right at all.  even worse - my oldest son won 2 state championships and we had to buy his rings!  buy his state championship ring that he worked his butt off for years to attain.  what sense does that make?  he actually told us not to buy one for him because they are so expensive and he didn't need one.  of course we still bought them, but there is something wrong.

That stinks....but, I would bet you that the school probably ends up losing money on sports.  There are an awful lot of complaints from people who don't have their kids involved in sports about the oversized presence it has in high school.  Even at the collegiate level, most athletic programs are money losers.  Yeah, the football and men's basketball programs make money at many of these schools but they have to spend almost every cent to keep up with the never ending arms race....at a school.....for education.....

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Are we the only country in the world who does high school & college sports like this ?

remember drinking in HofBrauHouse telling amazed  German kids (18 drinking age?) that the USA has multiple 100,000 seat stadiums for college football 

And yet, those countries still produce world class athletes?

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My friend was part of the Soviet sports factory, she never told me of any drugs (she was actually very against it) She did tell me of coaches coming to take her out of class so she could practice.

Now that would be an interesting conversation 

watching prefontaine battle the corrupt AAU in the 70’s…..athletics has changed for Olympic athletes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That is actually exactly what it means. Value is nothing more and nothing less than what people decide something is worth. 

True.  It’s also true that people routinely claim that something being offered to them has little or no value simply because they are seeking something of more value.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IUJoe said:

True.  It’s also true that people routinely claim that something being offered to them has little or no value simply because they are seeking something of more value.

I’ve always believed in the axiom that if something is being offered to you at no cost/ effort, it’s value is diminished. Kinda how I feel about NIL and athletes being offered huge amounts of money before they have earned it 

14 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I’ve always believed in the axiom that if something is being offered to you at no cost/ effort, it’s value is diminished. Kinda how I feel about NIL and athletes being offered huge amounts of money before they have earned it 

Don't scholarships fall into the category of getting something before it's earned? They are a calculated offering based on potential, which is hoped to deliver a specific return on investment.

Same thing with NIL deals. Whatever entity/business wants to offer money to an athlete for their services is hoping that such an alliance will also generate a specific ROI. That ROI can be whatever the entity/business chooses it to be: money, notoriety, or simply satisfying the pride of having a good team.

• Like 1