IUBB 22/‘23

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Is this from the same LaVall Jordan that is not coaching and the only Butler Coach the past 20 years to not be successful? 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lavall-jordan-iu-basketball-look-163149531.html

Almost a silly statement 

If TJD is contained and they shoot bad sweet 16 is the ceiling?   If they repeat Rutgers effort & results….

More likely it’s a team with a few new players that had a bad game at RAC 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Is this from the same LaVall Jordan that is not coaching and the only Butler Coach the past 20 years to not be successful? 

I don't think he really said anything crazy there. The question all year is going to be about where do we consistently (consistently being the keyword) get offense from after TJD?

While we have offensive options, probably more then most teams, which if those options, if any, are going to develop into consistent offensive contributors as the season unfolds?

Defensively IU is going to be really good, but in a game like the Rutgers loss where teams have slowed TJD, where can we consistently turn to?

XJ? JHS? Bates?

Edit: I also don't find anything wrong with being a Big Ten Title contender and Sweet Sixteen team. That's a good season. Only one team wins the Natty. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Almost a silly statement 

If TJD is contained and they shoot bad sweet 16 is the ceiling?   If they repeat Rutgers effort & results….

More likely it’s a team with a few new players that had a bad game at RAC 

I think most teams are a bad game from their best player and bad shooting from supporting cast from losing. Usually when good teams lose thats the exact formula unless the other team just plays out their rear end. Thank you Mr Obvious LaVall. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I don't think he really said anything crazy there. The question all year is going to be about where do we consistently (consistently being the keyword) get offense from after TJD?

While we have offensive options, probably more then most teams, which if those options, if any, are going to develop into consistent offensive contributors as the season unfolds?

Defensively IU is going to be really good, but in a game like the Rutgers loss where teams have slowed TJD, where can we consistently turn to?

XJ? JHS? Bates?

Edit: I also don't find anything wrong with being a Big Ten Title contender and Sweet Sixteen team. That's a good season. Only one team wins the Natty. 

I just find it interesting that it was worthy a headline and something that anyone that has ever watched 1 game of basketball could have regurgitated.  Not like it was a hot take or great coaching insight to come to that conclusion. I just found it interesting. 

37 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think most teams are a bad game from their best player and bad shooting from supporting cast from losing. Usually when good teams lose thats the exact formula unless the other team just plays out their rear end. Thank you Mr Obvious LaVall. 

With the level of insight and knowledge it’s no wonder he’s not coaching 

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

XJ? JHS? Bates?

Nothing he said is wrong, IMO, other than saying we are a pretender. And then implication that other top 15 teams don't have similar sets of issues is a bit confusing, too. 

Lavall of all people should know that you can have warts and be for real - he was on staff on the Trey Burke Michigan team that went to a title game. The same one that finished fourth in the B1G behind us, when we swept them, and they had a couple ugly losses including a road loss to a terrible 10-21 overall PSU team and losing by 20+ on the road at MSU.

39 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I just find it interesting that it was worthy a headline and something that anyone that has ever watched 1 game of basketball could have regurgitated.  Not like it was a hot take or great coaching insight to come to that conclusion. I just found it interesting. 

I mean, he was asked a question and he answered it. Not much more to it with IU then that. I'm not sure how much deeper there is to go with it. 

Consistent shooting and scoring will probably dictate how far we go. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, he was asked a question and he answered it. Not much more to it with IU then that. I'm not sure how much deeper there is to go with it. 

I find absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. I mean, seriously, .... if we want ANY KIND of respect or national recognition, we can't play like we did at Rutgers period. It's not losing to Rutgers, on the road, that was bad, it's HOW we lost, was VERY bad!

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think that will predict how far every team can go. He added absolutely nothing I guess is my reasoning for even posting it. Every team in America then by definition is a pretender. Purdue if Edey play poorly and Smith and Loyer miss shots they are a pretender, just like Texas and Zona and UCONN and everyone else. Maybe  im just  looking to much into it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Forgot his cup of coffee. Touche

Man every time someone writes Touché, it takes me back to the only time I said it in competition. Lost the bout! Afterwords the bout judge pulled me aside and asked why I said that? Said he would have ruled over steel and not awarded the touch. I should’ve just let the Russian make the call!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Chris Holtmann handed him the keys to a Ferrari and he spent five years converting it to a Fiat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think that will predict how far every team can go. He added absolutely nothing I guess is my reasoning for even posting it. Every team in America then by definition is a pretender. Purdue if Edey play poorly and Smith and Loyer miss shots they are a pretender, just like Texas and Zona and UCONN and everyone else. Maybe  im just  looking to much into it.

Teams aren't identical. Teams have different deficiencies and concerns. I'm assuming you've seen Purdue play? Do you really have concerns about Loyer or Smith making open 3's? I don't. 

IU has been a poor shooting team for 5 years. Our guards and wings have struggled mightily historically with making open shots. It's a really valid concern. 

I wouldn't be concerned about that with Purdue. With Purdue, my question is how do Loyer and Smith handle things when they face a defense that pressures the ball with long, athletic guards and wings? 

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Teams aren't identical. Teams have different deficiencies and concerns. I'm assuming you've seen Purdue play? Do you really have concerns about Loyer or Smith making open 3's? I don't. 

IU has been a poor shooting team for 5 years. Our guards and wings have struggled mightily historically with making open shots. It's a really valid concern. 

I wouldn't be concerned about that with Purdue. With Purdue, my question is how do Loyer and Smith handle things when they face a defense that pressures the ball with long, athletic guards and wings? 

I get that every team is different. No I  do not have concerns about Smith or Loyer shooting. My point is that he said our ceiling is sweet 16 but IMO I think sweet 16 is closer to our floor. If we shoot poorly sweet 16 but if we shoot average I think we are a title contender. Hence my comment on him saying we are a pretender. I just dont see it that way in my honest opinion. 

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I get that every team is different. No I  do not have concerns about Smith or Loyer shooting. My point is that he said our ceiling is sweet 16 but IMO I think sweet 16 is closer to our floor. If we shoot poorly sweet 16 but if we shoot average I think we are a title contender. Hence my comment on him saying we are a pretender. I just dont see it that way in my honest opinion. 

I think that was his entire point, right? Until we prove we can shoot consistently, he views us as a National Title pretender. We haven't proven that yet. 

I'm assuming if we're halfway through the Big Ten season and JHS is more like he was in the UNC game and Galloway and Bates are closer to their Nebraska performance then their Rutgers/Xavier performance, and JG and Race have figured things out offensively, then he'll consider IU a contender. 

So far, that hasn't really happened consistently yet. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think that was his entire point, right? Until we prove we can shoot consistently, he views us as a National Title pretender. We haven't proven that yet. 

I'm assuming if we're halfway through the Big Ten season and JHS is more like he was in the UNC game and Galloway and Bates are closer to their Nebraska performance then their Rutgers/Xavier performance, and JG and Race have figured things out offensively, then he'll consider IU a contender. 

So far, that hasn't really happened consistently yet. 

Wonder what his view is on #1 Houston because they don't shoot well and have trouble on offense sometimes 

• Like 2

I probably even think this could be a stupid post but hear me out.  Seeing Purdue looking better without Ivey could IU in the next couple of years be a better team once TJD leaves.  Even though he has been one of the best players to play at IU, he is still a one dimensional player that can be stopped by a true big man. If we can have a more versatile team and have a more balance team we might be harder to guard.