For all spouting for new coach.

jojo123

26 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Honest, yet hypothetical, question(s):

If IU could wave a magic wand and get any coach tomorrow (Saban, Dabo, Riley, whoever), would that hire alone transform the fortunes of the program and make us a perennial contender?

-If yes, how long would the process realistically take?

-If not, what else would need to be done? (Change in facilities? Conference realignment?)

It is all about getting more talented players to IU and those coaches would be able to get more players.  It is also paying more money to coaches as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Honest, yet hypothetical, question(s):

If IU could wave a magic wand and get any coach tomorrow (Saban, Dabo, Riley, whoever), would that hire alone transform the fortunes of the program and make us a perennial contender?

-If yes, how long would the process realistically take?

-If not, what else would need to be done? (Change in facilities? Conference realignment?)

Neither Lou Holtz nor Steve Spurrier turned South Carolina into a perennial contender.  But the Gamecocks were very competitive during their time there.  But I would be more than willing to hand the program over to Saban.

I would say it takes coaching, culture, AND recruiting.  When Saban took over at Bama, his 2008 recruiting class was historically good, and most were from the state of Alabama and going there no matter who the coach was at the time. The culture was there with fans, facilities, and boosters, but their coaches were lacking. Saban was the right guy, in the right place, at the right time.

I wondered as a B1G fan why Saban would leave MSU for LSU when he had the Spartans positioned better than LSU. Recruiting and culture. He traded in a used Cadillac for a new Ferrari no one else knew how to drive at the time, because he knew what LSU could become with him at the wheel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Bronco Mendenhall is available

He isn't coming to Bloomington.

Mendenhall moved west this spring, a return to his roots after he abruptly resigned as head football coach at Virginia, trailering his cadre of horses and five truckloads of gear and supplies with him to Montana. It has been a whirlwind. He's overseeing concurrent construction projects -- a new home on a quiet lake that he and his wife, Holly, have dreamed of for years, and, about 20 minutes away, a sprawling, 80-acre ranch for those horses. He rides and ropes nearly every day. He's also training for two half-Iron Man competitions (swimming, biking and running), while fielding calls on business ventures and teaching opportunities and a host of other ideas for "what comes next."

But right now, he's burning daylight, and still has two horses in need of riding.

"And I haven't even been out fly-fishing today," he said.

If that all sounds like the dream itinerary for someone who has left his past life (and an annual salary of $4.25 million) in his rearview mirror in search of meaning off the grid -- well, that's sort of the point.

The Mendenhalls have been slowly plotting this adventure for decades, and in the hours after his Virginia team lost its regular-season finale to rival Virginia Tech last November, Mendenhall decided it was time to live the dream.

"It's just been breathtaking so far," said Mendenhall, 56. "Most of [the coaches] who've called me are saying, 'Man, we think you've got this right.'"

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34248930/how-stepping-away-football-bringing-bronco-mendenhall-closer-game

You all can wish for a new coach and hate on Allen all you want. And keep saying he is this and that. The league is who killed IU football once again. In 2019 Allen and the Hoosiers won eight games. 2020 COVID YEAR. The league sets the rules and says to qualify for the Big Ten Champion game a team must play at least six games. IU Plays seven 6-1 Ohio state plays 5. What does the league say to IU. Sorry we changed the rules so Ohio State  can be the champion. Screw you IU. 

So Now all you smart great coaches out there tell me. How in the hell do you ever recruit at a high level or motivate the players you have on your team again. How? Look at 21 aside from all the injuries the same players lacked attitude they had in 20. And 22 no different. Tell me if you're a big time player would you want to come to a program where you know the league is willing to put the screws to you in favor of one of the elite programs. Would you pick IU or any of the teams in the west? 

16 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

You all can wish for a new coach and hate on Allen all you want. And keep saying he is this and that. The league is who killed IU football once again. In 2019 Allen and the Hoosiers won eight games. 2020 COVID YEAR. The league sets the rules and says to qualify for the Big Ten Champion game a team must play at least six games. IU Plays seven 6-1 Ohio state plays 5. What does the league say to IU. Sorry we changed the rules so Ohio State  can be the champion. Screw you IU. 

So Now all you smart great coaches out there tell me. How in the hell do you ever recruit at a high level or motivate the players you have on your team again. How? Look at 21 aside from all the injuries the same players lacked attitude they had in 20. And 22 no different. Tell me if you're a big time player would you want to come to a program where you know the league is willing to put the screws to you in favor of one of the elite programs. Would you pick IU or any of the teams in the west? 

Sincerely hope I'm not grouped in the CTA hater category. 

27 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He isn't coming to Bloomington.

Mendenhall moved west this spring, a return to his roots after he abruptly resigned as head football coach at Virginia, trailering his cadre of horses and five truckloads of gear and supplies with him to Montana. It has been a whirlwind. He's overseeing concurrent construction projects -- a new home on a quiet lake that he and his wife, Holly, have dreamed of for years, and, about 20 minutes away, a sprawling, 80-acre ranch for those horses. He rides and ropes nearly every day. He's also training for two half-Iron Man competitions (swimming, biking and running), while fielding calls on business ventures and teaching opportunities and a host of other ideas for "what comes next."

But right now, he's burning daylight, and still has two horses in need of riding.

"And I haven't even been out fly-fishing today," he said.

If that all sounds like the dream itinerary for someone who has left his past life (and an annual salary of $4.25 million) in his rearview mirror in search of meaning off the grid -- well, that's sort of the point.

The Mendenhalls have been slowly plotting this adventure for decades, and in the hours after his Virginia team lost its regular-season finale to rival Virginia Tech last November, Mendenhall decided it was time to live the dream.

"It's just been breathtaking so far," said Mendenhall, 56. "Most of [the coaches] who've called me are saying, 'Man, we think you've got this right.'"

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34248930/how-stepping-away-football-bringing-bronco-mendenhall-closer-game

On a national broadcast interview on college gameday, he told them he wanted to comeback. 

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

I don't buy any of this. 2020 was a "fluke" season. Everyone on here knows it. If not, they're living in denial. IU is traditionally terrible in football. It's definitely not gonna change under Allen. He's ran his course. He's in what, year 6? And we're on a 7 game losing streak after a 2 win season in 2021. It's time to move on. That whole bit about 2020 and IU getting screwed and affecting the last 2 years is hogwash. Allen has done pretty well in recruiting after the fact, and he still isn't winning games. That tells me, it's coaching. He can't develop guys once they're on campus. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

I don't buy any of this. 2020 was a "fluke" season. Everyone on here knows it. If not, they're living in denial. IU is traditionally terrible in football. It's definitely not gonna change under Allen. He's ran his course. He's in what, year 6? And we're on a 7 game losing streak after a 2 win season in 2021. It's time to move on. That whole bit about 2020 and IU getting screwed and affecting the last 2 years is hogwash. Allen has done pretty well in recruiting after the fact, and he still isn't winning games. That tells me, it's coaching. He can't develop guys once they're on campus. 

Was 19 a fluke as well. Not disagreeing about Allen but not fair to call those seasons a fluke 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Was 19 a fluke as well. Not disagreeing about Allen but not fair to call those seasons a fluke 

You can't compare 2019 and 2020. One was during a global pandemic which impacted every team differently. IU had a great plan and they executed it best that year. And if we wanna be honest. most of the conference was awful that year. 

2019 OC was Kalen Deboer and qb coach Nick Sheridan. In 2020 OC was Nick Sheridan. Penix was QB both years. Nick Sheridan was the primary recruiter for Penix. 

Kane Wommack was DC both years and we had McFadden on the defensive side who was an animal. 

Now look where those guys are now and how they are doing. Both Deboer and Sheridan are at UW with Penix.  McFadden is getting playing time as a rookie. 

Wommack has South Alabama at 8-2 after year 2. 

Sure looks like a common denominator to me. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Sincerely hope I'm not grouped in the CTA hater category. 

I don't want to be either, but man, this year has been a big step back after a disastrous albeit injury riddled season.  Not winning the "winnable" games and getting completely drilled by the upper echelon. Now it seems CTA's way out of this is through the transfer portal? I don't think that is going to work. Just disappointing.