For all spouting for new coach.

jojo123

19 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I don't want to be either, but man, this year has been a big step back after a disastrous albeit injury riddled season.  Not winning the "winnable" games and getting completely drilled by the upper echelon. Now it seems CTA's way out of this is through the transfer portal? I don't think that is going to work. Just disappointing. 

It's disappointing, yes. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

I have read speculation that Brown is a lame duck coach and is gone after the season.

“We are supporting Coach Neal Brown and our team as we complete our season over the next few weeks,” (President) Gee said. “We are aware there are some deficiencies, but we have not given up on the coach and the team, and they have not given up on each other. The evaluation of the football program will be the first task of our new athletic director and no changes will be made until that review has been completed.”

In April of 2021, WVU athletic director Shane Lyons announced a two-year contract extension for head football coach Neal Brown, running through the 2026 season. At the time, it felt as if the program was on its way up as Brown led the team to a 6-4 record in a COVID-shortened season. The Mountaineers won the AutoZone Liberty Bowl against Army and also went undefeated at home that season.

In the contract obtained by the Daily Athenaeum through the Freedom of Information Act, it states that if Brown is fired before January 1st, 2023, WVU will owe him approximately $20 million. If they wait until after that date, the buyout drops to approximately $16.7 million. However, waiting until after January 1st is highly unlikely because it only saves the school a few million dollars, and they would be getting into the coaching carousel extremely late.

The way the contract is constructed, Brown would be paid 100% of his total remaining salary if he is fired on or before December 31st, 2024. If a firing would occur after that date, he would be owed 85% of his total remaining salary.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

“We are supporting Coach Neal Brown and our team as we complete our season over the next few weeks,” (President) Gee said. “We are aware there are some deficiencies, but we have not given up on the coach and the team, and they have not given up on each other. The evaluation of the football program will be the first task of our new athletic director and no changes will be made until that review has been completed.”

In April of 2021, WVU athletic director Shane Lyons announced a two-year contract extension for head football coach Neal Brown, running through the 2026 season. At the time, it felt as if the program was on its way up as Brown led the team to a 6-4 record in a COVID-shortened season. The Mountaineers won the AutoZone Liberty Bowl against Army and also went undefeated at home that season.

In the contract obtained by the Daily Athenaeum through the Freedom of Information Act, it states that if Brown is fired before January 1st, 2023, WVU will owe him approximately $20 million. If they wait until after that date, the buyout drops to approximately $16.7 million. However, waiting until after January 1st is highly unlikely because it only saves the school a few million dollars, and they would be getting into the coaching carousel extremely late.

The way the contract is constructed, Brown would be paid 100% of his total remaining salary if he is fired on or before December 31st, 2024. If a firing would occur after that date, he would be owed 85% of his total remaining salary.

Supposedly a booster is gonna pony up the money is what I read on another site.  

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

FWIW... and it might not be worth much at all. Someone did mention (someone that sometimes has info lol)... that ARE would like to listen if IU moves on from CTA. 

It's as close to a home run as IU football can get.  A young, ultra athletic, former pro, HOOSIER, black father figure.  Seems to be working on the recruiting trail for the wanna be football school in northern Indiana, at least on the recruiting trail.  Check back in three years when all those recruits are on the field together.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's as close to a home run as IU football can get.  A young, ultra athletic, former pro, HOOSIER, black father figure.  Seems to be working on the recruiting trail for the wanna be football school in northern Indiana, at least on the recruiting trail.  Check back in three years when all those recruits are on the field together.  

Are you saying you would welcome ARE as the HC?  He is currently the WR coach for the Lions I think.  It would make sense to bring him over here in some kind of capacity (for the reasons you mentioned), but as HC??  To my knowledge he has never been a coordinator let alone a head coach.  I think most people would have a lot of concerns with that one.  Yes?  No?

6 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Are you saying you would welcome ARE as the HC?  He is currently the WR coach for the Lions I think.  It would make sense to bring him over here in some kind of capacity (for the reasons you mentioned), but as HC??  To my knowledge he has never been a coordinator let alone a head coach.  I think most people would have a lot of concerns with that one.  Yes?  No?

Who cares? He's a former NFL player. And if he's currently a coach in the NFL, that's huge. He knows what it takes to get to the NFL. And he's an IU guy. Experience isn't a big deal to me. He knows football. He's been in the game for most of his life. I'd take him in a heartbeat if he really wanted the job.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I would say yes, go for it but surround him with experience.  

As much as I loved watching ARE play (I was lucky to be at IU while he was there), I don't think he is the answer at this time. He has many positives (college & NFL experience and success) and a dynamic personality, but I'm not sold on his ability to right this ship. As we all are painfully aware, there are many issues and challenges that need to be overcome just to elevate the program to a level of stability and consistency, and I think there are others better suited for this.

We need a proven winner, pure and simple. I don't think Indiana ties are a necessity (although they don't hurt), because fair or not, our tradition of excellence isn't that excellent or sustained. The positive of that means the program is open available for a refresh; a blank canvas that a coach can create something fresh and new without the expectation and weight of the past (IU basketball, Nebraska football) confining it.

IU needs to understand (and lean into) how fortunate it is to be in the Big Ten in this current college climate, and take full advantage of the financial opportunities that come with it. It would be much harder to compete if we were in the Big XII, Pac-12 or ACC, as some of their programs how are on the similar level will likely be hit very hard as the conference realignments continue to shift and support the Big Ten and SEC.

SO, IU must step up to the plate and think of itself as a top tier program and make moves that support this thought. No more idealistic, feel good hires. 

• Like 1

In my opinion, none of Indiana's last six head coaching hires have been proven head coaches with demonstrated previous success, and none of them have had real success here after being hired.

Seems like the last true success we had was after hiring a proven coach in Bill Mallory, which is also the last time we didn't hired someone unproven, or someone who was hired basically because they were already living in Bloomington.

Stop the stupid experimenting and do what successful programs do....hire a proven coach who can get the damn job done.

2 minutes ago, BankShot said:

In my opinion, none of Indiana's last six head coaching hires have been proven head coaches with demonstrated previous success, and none of them have had real success here after being hired.

Seems like the last true success we had was after hiring a proven coach in Bill Mallory, which is also the last time we didn't hired someone unproven, or someone who was hired basically because they were already living in Bloomington.

Stop the stupid experimenting and do what successful programs do....hire a proven coach who can get the damn job done.

Gerry Dinardo was a proven coach.

2 minutes ago, BankShot said:

Coach Hep was an excellent hire and had the program trending in the right direction before he passed.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BankShot said:

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Coach Hep was an excellent hire and had the program trending in the right direction before he passed.

Yes, agree on Coach Hep who I believe did fit the mold of a proven head coach. His tenure was just cut short and not able to bear the fruit it probably would have. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Gerry Dinardo was a proven coach.

Coach Dinardo's success as a head coach was a bit mixed I think. Time at Vanderbilt not stellar? LSU was a mixed bag? Maybe he was 'semi-successful'?

My main point being that we should stop rolling the dice and hire someone as clearly proven as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Who we get as a coach will be decided upon by how much money we will spend.

The same old tired excuse.  Tom Allen is getting paid pretty nice.  Can't find an accurate list because the one I found had 25th at 4.4 and Allen is at 4.9 and not on the list.   

I believe at the time it was around 15th.  

This hasn't aged well in 14 months.   https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/09/08/indiana-football-coach-tom-allen-has-18th-best-contract-nation/5748916001/