For all spouting for new coach.

jojo123

14 minutes ago, rico said:

$

Cmon now, you can get "paid" a lot of places if you're proven..  

If thats our only draw, I doubt we get anyone too exciting. I've seen lots of HS assts turn down crappy jobs, I see this as no different. 

In no way shape or form should Kalen Deboer take this job, but sweet heavens if he did.. that would be great. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

As much as I loved watching ARE play (I was lucky to be at IU while he was there), I don't think he is the answer at this time. He has many positives (college & NFL experience and success) and a dynamic personality, but I'm not sold on his ability to right this ship. As we all are painfully aware, there are many issues and challenges that need to be overcome just to elevate the program to a level of stability and consistency, and I think there are others better suited for this.

We need a proven winner, pure and simple. I don't think Indiana ties are a necessity (although they don't hurt), because fair or not, our tradition of excellence isn't that excellent or sustained. The positive of that means the program is open available for a refresh; a blank canvas that a coach can create something fresh and new without the expectation and weight of the past (IU basketball, Nebraska football) confining it.

IU needs to understand (and lean into) how fortunate it is to be in the Big Ten in this current college climate, and take full advantage of the financial opportunities that come with it. It would be much harder to compete if we were in the Big XII, Pac-12 or ACC, as some of their programs how are on the similar level will likely be hit very hard as the conference realignments continue to shift and support the Big Ten and SEC.

SO, IU must step up to the plate and think of itself as a top tier program and make moves that support this thought. No more idealistic, feel good hires. 

I would warn people wanting ARE just because he is a former player and played in the NFL. I have seen it some in basketball where a school hire a former player but have very little if any experience coaching. 

Clyde Drexeler- Houston 

Chris Mullen - St. Johns 

Patrick Ewing - Georgetown 

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Why would you come here...  if you're already proven? 

I've asked myself this a few times... and maybe I'm being too hopeful in trying to find the perfect candidate, but to answer the question:

Ego and Legacy.

IU doesn't have the history or big shoes to fill. A proven coach that may have run out his welcome somewhere else, tried the NFL and wants to come back to the college ranks, or just wants/needs a new change of scenery, could have an opportunity to create something with their fingerprints on it in a way that satisfies their ego. Make no mistake, college coaches are inherently competitive and want to be renown and lauded by the masses.

And while by default, being in the Big Ten gives IU a platform and exposure that a lot of other programs will never get. Nationally, people know who Tom Allen is because he beat Penn St., Michigan and Wisconsin in 2020. He's not getting the same love beating the likes of Iowa St., Wake Forest, UNLV for example.

A coach that understands the opportunity and sees the potential should be very intrigued. It's not like there aren't football fans in Indiana. Look at what Peyton was able to do. If IU was able to string together 5 seasons similar to '19 and '20 rather than just the two, you would see a fanbase that really coalesced and became formidable. That generates money and perpetuates a positive cycle.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Why would you come here...  if you're already proven? 

I could see someone who got in some kind of trouble for something somewhere looking for redemption as the kind of proven coach that would. I’m not sure the admin would go down that path. 

I. really want it to work for CTA so I hate even posting that. 

• Like 1

The problem I see if Allan goes heavy into the transfer portal is that we won't be getting the top tier of the players in the portal. Say you have a former 5 star OL at Georgia but he is behind two other 5 stars and if he goes into the portal he will go to another top program. The ones we get are the ones who probably won't see much action at a Alabama if they stay so they will be willing to come to IU. The problem is that those players end up not being a power 5 quality player.  We have seen that will the players we have gotten from Auburn, Alabama,UM and Ole Miss.

5 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I've asked myself this a few times... and maybe I'm being too hopeful in trying to find the perfect candidate, but to answer the question:

Ego and Legacy.

IU doesn't have the history or big shoes to fill. A proven coach that may have run out his welcome somewhere else, tried the NFL and wants to come back to the college ranks, or just wants/needs a new change of scenery, could have an opportunity to create something with their fingerprints on it in a way that satisfies their ego. Make no mistake, college coaches are inherently competitive and want to be renown and lauded by the masses.

And while by default, being in the Big Ten gives IU a platform and exposure that a lot of other programs will never get. Nationally, people know who Tom Allen is because he beat Penn St., Michigan and Wisconsin in 2020. He's not getting the same love beating the likes of Iowa St., Wake Forest, UNLV for example.

A coach that understands the opportunity and sees the potential should be very intrigued. It's not like there aren't football fans in Indiana. Look at what Peyton was able to do. If IU was able to string together 5 seasons similar to '19 and '20 rather than just the two, you would see a fanbase that really coalesced and became formidable. That generates money and perpetuates a positive cycle.

Good thoughts.

In addition to these motivations, “proven”, but might still come to IU, could also mean ‘proven at a lower level and ready to move up’ (or someone just ready to move). Some examples might be a Bill Mallory or a Terry Hoeppner, or like Randy Walker when he went to Northwestern.

Any proven coach that would come here would still have flaws.  I mean, IU isn't getting  a top 10 coach no where near their prime without either taken a young up and comer heading up, or an old, flawed, or exposed in scandal or downward slide guy.  

Who in the top 25 would come here?  The only chance is using the opportunity of B1G money to lure an ACC or B12/Pac12 guy, right?  But people are on here arguing a former oc of our own wouldn't even come back from the pac 12.  What gives?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/list/ranking-college-football-coaches-1-131/jiub6lum0heled2alxbd8utu

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Any proven coach that would come here would still have flaws.  I mean, IU isn't getting  a top 10 coach no where near their prime without either taken a young up and comer heading up, or an old, flawed, or exposed in scandal or downward slide guy.  

Who in the top 25 would come here?  The only chance is using the opportunity of B1G money to lure an ACC or B12/Pac12 guy, right?  But people are on here arguing a former oc of our own wouldn't even come back from the pac 12.  What gives?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/list/ranking-college-football-coaches-1-131/jiub6lum0heled2alxbd8utu

I don’t know who that guy would be and sometimes the hire doesn't bring the immediate sizzle in terms of public perception, but look at a guy like Mack Brown at North Carolina?

National championship winning coach who wore out his time at Texas and was definitely an older hire when hired at UNC. 

He was proven though, and brought stability to their program. They are currently ranked 13th in the country. 

Is there another guy like that out there? Again, I don't know who it is, but someone who has done it before. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know who that guy would be and sometimes the hire doesn't bring the immediate sizzle in terms of public perception, but look at a guy like Mack Brown at North Carolina?

National championship winning coach who wore out his time at Texas and was definitely an older hire when hired at UNC. 

He was proven though, and brought stability to their program. They are currently ranked 13th in the country. 

Is there another guy like that out there? Again, I don't know who it is, but someone who has done it before. 

Did you know Gene Chizik is Assistant head coach for defense at UNC?  Coach in waiting?  Former National championship coach.  Pretty smart to swallow your pride and bring talented assistants that are stained.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Did you know Gene Chizik is Assistant head coach for defense at UNC?  Coach in waiting?  Former National championship coach.  Pretty smart to swallow your pride and bring talented assistants that are stained.  

I did not. That's a great hire by Brown. 

Similar at PSU this year, Franklin went out and grabbed Manny Diaz as defensive coordinator after he was let go as the head coach at Miami. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

He won at Miami, just not enough for Cane fans.  

I would also add that as an assistant he's worked at FSU, NCST, Miss St, Texas and PSU. So organizationally and structurally he knows what the inside of top programs looks like. 

No idea if someone like that is possible, but those types should be the goal. 

• Like 3

Just now, BGleas said:

I would also add that as an assistant he's worked at FSU, NCST, Miss St, Texas and PSU. So organizationally and structurally he knows what the inside of top programs looks like. 

Didn't Mack Brown fire him at Texas after a brutal defensive showing?

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He's a pretty low bar for all the high bar talking being thrown around here.  

I'd take my chances with ARE

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He's a pretty low bar for all the high bar talking being thrown around here.  

I'd take my chances with ARE

My intent isn't to be some Manny Diaz backer, he came up during a sort of sidebar convo on former coaches at high major programs that are now coordinators. 

With that said, if Diaz is a low bar for IU then I'd say the fans expectations are probably a little out of whack. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

My intent isn't to be some Manny Diaz backer, he came up during a sort of sidebar convo on former coaches at high major programs that are now coordinators. 

With that said, if Diaz is a low bar for IU then I'd say the fans expectations are probably a little out of whack. 

I mean, Paul Chryst  and Hugh Freeze have been mentioned.   I would put them about 50 ranking points higher than Diaz.