Marian post game thread

Reacher

I have a hard time figuring out why Leal doesn't get a little more playing time. Makes good decisions, D is not bad, and if he starts shooting like he's capable, he should get at least a few more minutes in games. Not just mop up minutes.

I must be missing something.

Edited by DWB

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

I have a hard time figuring out why Leal doesn't get a little more playing time. Makes good decisions, D is not bad, and if he starts shooting like he's capable, he should get at least a few more minutes in games. Not just mop up minutes.

I must be missing something.

You said it. you see him in mop up mins. not every day in practice. Of course he will be better than their 13th man.

• Like 1

Obviously we got the comfortable win we expected, which is great. I only half watched, but some positives that stood out to me:

• Race seems to have continued with being a good in-game shooter like we saw at the end of last year, that's huge.
  • JHS and MR are the real deal. Numbers wise they may not be, but they could be as talented of a freshman duo we've had in a very, very long time. They both have a presence to them that goes well beyond their years, too. 
  • Duncomb looks like he could give us something this year if we need him to.
  • CJ Gunn looked more ready than I expected, I really like his shot and his game. Wouldn't be surprised to see him be a guy who starts eating into someones minutes as the year progresses. 
  • Galloway looked like Galloway, with perhaps a slightly improved shot. I love that, thank he'll be an important guy for us. 
  • We basically doubled up our opponent without two of our best players, and everyone you'd have expected to be good sans X, was good.

And now, the bad:

• Geronimo doesn't seem to be anymore consistent than he has been in years past. I think he'll contribute and give us things at times, but the head scratching stuff with him really limits what he will be asked to do IMO.
  • Banks was a tad more raw than I anticipated, I thought he'd be a guy that could start eating into playing time the way I think Gunn can. It's one game, but they kinda both did more what I expected of the other one. 
  • Kopp seems to be more of a veteran than doesn't make mistakes than a guy we can really count on for buckets like he was at Northwestern. That's about what I expected, but would have been nice to see sophomore year Kopp show up. 
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Obviously we got the comfortable win we expected, which is great. I only half watched, but some positives that stood out to me:

• Race seems to have continued with being a good in-game shooter like we saw at the end of last year, that's huge.
  • JHS and MR are the real deal. Numbers wise they may not be, but they could be as talented of a freshman duo we've had in a very, very long time. They both have a presence to them that goes well beyond their years, too. 
  • Duncomb looks like he could give us something this year if we need him to.
  • CJ Gunn looked more ready than I expected, I really like his shot and his game. Wouldn't be surprised to see him be a guy who starts eating into someones minutes as the year progresses. 
  • Galloway looked like Galloway, with perhaps a slightly improved shot. I love that, thank he'll be an important guy for us. 
  • We basically doubled up our opponent without two of our best players, and everyone you'd have expected to be good sans X, was good.

And now, the bad:

• Geronimo doesn't seem to be anymore consistent than he has been in years past. I think he'll contribute and give us things at times, but the head scratching stuff with him really limits what he will be asked to do IMO.
  • Banks was a tad more raw than I anticipated, I thought he'd be a guy that could start eating into playing time the way I think Gunn can. It's one game, but they kinda both did more what I expected of the other one. 
  • Kopp seems to be more of a veteran than doesn't make mistakes than a guy we can really count on for buckets like he was at Northwestern. That's about what I expected, but would have been nice to see sophomore year Kopp show up. 

Agree whole heatedly with all but the bolded. 

I think he simply needs to be a slightly improved version of what he was last year... Solid team defender, leader, hit it when you get it... I saw an interview with him not too long ago, and that's basically what he said... He had been "the man" for the Wildcats, but his role is different with this team... And he's embraced it...

He did hit a nice transition 3... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Agree whole heatedly with all but the bolded. 

I think he simply needs to be a slightly improved version of what he was last year... Solid team defender, leader, hit it when you get it... I saw an interview with him not too long ago, and that's basically what he said... He had been "the man" for the Wildcats, but his role is different with this team... And he's embraced it...

He did hit a nice transition 3... 

I think we do agree I just worded it poorly. I agree with you on what he is and that it's fine, I just had hope that it would be more like sophomore year Kopp where he was the man. Perhaps it wasn't fair to put that in the bad category because it's what I expected from him.

• Like 1

Just got home from work and turned it on. Boy I sure do miss the “old” (~Knight era) camera angle. It seems to get higher and higher all the time. 
  Ready for the REAL season to start. 
Hoping both “my” teams (Grace also) live up to the preseason polls,etc. 

Hoping for a good basketball season 😀

• Like 2

Got a chance to listen to a good chunk. Race 3's is encouraging.....JHS/Renau as advertised. Actually I'll need to see them with my own eyes but I trust the masses.

Probably good for the guys just to get out and play somebody else. Otherwise good start to the season. Keep TJD and Tamar off on Thursday too if it's something lingering.