Marian post game thread

Reacher

Agree with some others, it's difficult to take much from an exhibition game against an inferior opponent and especially when your best player and another key contributor is out. That said, here's what I saw...

Offense was very deliberate. Not a great deal of just running up the court forcing shots for the sake of taking shots. Unfortunately, we can't tell what the true rotation is without TJD and Bates playing. Most see to have the green light from three. Race looked good but I wonder if he will float around the perimeter more this season, which takes him off the boards. MR's footwork was impressive and when he gets to his left hand he's hard to stop. Sound familiar (TJD)? All the bigs that played put the ball on the floor at one point or another. X was out of sorts but still had moments. He may struggle with the adjustment of playing with JHS since he's not a spot up shooter and is at his best attacking downhill. 

Defense was solid but there wasn't much of a threat from Marian to worry about anyway. I noticed MR taking a charge and attempted to take more than a couple. Rebounding was good but not great considering the opponent. Defensive rebounding will be a big part of his team's success. 

The lineup appears to be set: TJD, Race, X, JHS and Kopp. I'd be shocked if that's not the starting five for the majority of the season barring injury. Even though Bates  and Jordan are better athletes than Kopp, CMW seems to like Kopp starting and that won't change unless someone beats him out or Kopp isn't getting the job done. But that's another question that cannot be answered until they are all healthy and play better teams.

Good start though. Go Hoosiers!

12 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Wow.

If we had the "luxury" of benching X last year he would never have been able to play through the struggles and be coached up along the way.

Then we would never have had XJ, the dominant backcourt player we had at the end of the season.

I think too many are quick to think the bench is always the motivator or solution.

Nevermind the fact that X is a great defender (minus the silly fouls he is prone to!).

I haven't seen anyone demanding that XJ be benched?  I have just seen speculation on what might happen if his numbers continue.  We need XJ to be that XJ at the end of last season if we are to have a deep tourney run.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But again, the shooting will be spotty at times for him.... he still plays great defense, keeps us at the tempo we need offensively, and generally passes the ball well.... So, I think we would really need the whole film along with Woodson or a staff member to know how he played on Sat because looking at the box score only won't help us. 

Truly, as long as the immaturity stays away and the turnovers are reasonable, I don't see XJ losing any playing time. He's too important for TJD and everyone else. It isn't plug and play at the point guard spot like it is at some of the other positions that we have. 

Sure, but I’m not advocating for him to be benched just because he misses shots or has a bad shooting night. That happens to even the best scorers. Just trying to elaborate on a point @rico was making that seemed to be misinterpreted. We have better players this year and can swap out players if necessary without seeing as big of a drop off as last year. You do make a good point about the pg position not being a true “plug and play” position like others are. But then again we have JHS to man that position when needed, and I’d assume most of us think that’s a major upgrade over last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Sure, but I’m not advocating for him to be benched just because he misses shots or has a bad shooting night. That happens to even the best scorers. Just trying to elaborate on a point @rico was making that seemed to be misinterpreted. We have better players this year and can swap out players if necessary without seeing as big of a drop off as last year. You do make a good point about the pg position not being a true “plug and play” position like others are. But then again we have JHS to man that position when needed, and I’d assume most of us think that’s a major upgrade over last year.

Hogwash. I see your hatred for X!  😝😝

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rico said:

I haven't seen anyone demanding that XJ be benched?  I have just seen speculation on what might happen if his numbers continue.  We need XJ to be that XJ at the end of last season if we are to have a deep tourney run.

You're right, we need XJ to be what he was at the end of last season to reach our ceiling which is why anyone even having it cross their mind to bench him is out of their mind.

He's not going to play better because he gets benched, he's going to play better because he feels comfortable with the guys he is playing with and that he has the freedom to play his game. He does not have the type of game you want him feeling restricted and afraid to make mistakes. 

• Like 1

And with regards to everyone saying we have more options behind X this year, we don't. We had more point guards on last years roster than we do on this years. Those are the only two guys that are really primary ball handlers on this team.

We have other guys who are playmakers, but they were on last years team too (Galloway and Bates). X and JHS are both going to play 25-30 minutes per game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I thought it was noteworthy, late in the game, when Banks and JG were both on the court at the same time, Banks played the 3 and JG was the 4. 

Again, just noteworthy. 

Coach Woodson said he didn't have positions... He has basketball players 

😉

Pacers needs to trade Turner ASAP. I would guess when was on the court we were outscored by 25. Everytime he went out the Pacers would go on a huge run and when he came back in the Nets would make a huge run. Pacers lost 116-109 after the Pacers tied it at 100 but guess who came back in when it was 102-100. The game before Turner didn't play and the flow of the game was so much better.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers needs to trade Turner ASAP. I would guess when was on the court we were outscored by 25. Everytime he went out the Pacers would go on a huge run and when he came back in the Nets would make a huge run. Pacers lost 116-109 after the Pacers tied it at 100 but guess who came back in when it was 102-100. The game before Turner didn't play and the flow of the game was so much better.

He was literally on woj podcast begging Lakers to trade for him.  It's one of the top stories on espn.com