Marian post game thread

Reacher

17 hours ago, rico said:

If XJ keeps putting up those numbers he will find his way to the bench.

No, he won't. This team needs XJ to play like he did at the end of last year to reach it's potential and XJ, IMO, is not the type of player you want feeling like he has a short leash. He needs to be free to play his game and know that you're going to take the good with the bad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

No, he won't. This team needs XJ to play like he did at the end of last year to reach it's potential and XJ, IMO, is not the type of player you want feeling like he has a short leash. He needs to be free to play his game and know that you're going to take the good with the bad. 

Yeah he will.  He isn't gonna remain in the starting line-up if he keeps putting up those kinds of numbers.  Now I don't expect him to have that slash line the next time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah he will.  He isn't gonna remain in the starting line-up if he keeps putting up those kinds of numbers.  Now I don't expect him to have that slash line the next time.

Sure, at some point he'd get moved to the bench but he has probably the second longest leash on the team. He's our only perimeter player who has proven he is capable of playing at an All-Conference level.

I'll say it again, XJ isn't getting moved to the bench for his performance. We let him play through mistakes last year and we'll do the same this year. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure, at some point he'd get moved to the bench but he has probably the second longest leash on the team. He's our only perimeter player who has proven he is capable of playing at an All-Conference level.

I'll say it again, XJ isn't getting moved to the bench for his performance. We let him play through mistakes last year and we'll do the same this year. 

Well hopefully we see a different XJ versus Saint Francis.

• Like 1

FWIW, I rewatched the game again last night, and somebody earlier posted that JHS needs to expand his game to be proficient from 3.

The stat sheet doesn't show it, because JHS hit 2 from deep, but they were negated by fouls away from the ball at the time. Both were nothing but net. So stat sheet has 0-2 from deep, but in reality he was 2-4.  50%. That's proficient enough for me. (I know, I know, it's only 1 game and an exhibition at that) But if we can get pumped on Logan's double double, we can at least be encouraged by JHS from deep. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

More options this season than last which is a good problem to have. “Next man up” is what I’m expecting to see if a player is clearly not productive.

Im eager to see how well the highly talented freshmen do vs same level talent. Vs Marian, you could see the difference in how easy and free flowing they played.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

You're right, but I'm betting he's catching some hell from Coach Woodson this week...

Seems kind of silly that we're debating whether XJ would need to be benched if his performance from Saturday continues. 

What would lead anyone to think his play from Saturday would continue? It was one exhibition game with a new backcourt mate and missing his go-to parter in the PnR game. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Seems kind of silly that we're debating whether XJ would need to be benched if his performance from Saturday continues. 

What would lead anyone to think his play from Saturday would continue? It was one exhibition game with a new backcourt mate and missing his go-to parter in the PnR game. 

2 of XJs "misses" down low resulted in Orebs and 4 points for us. 

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that XJ should be benched based off a single performance in an exhibition game. I doubt anyone truly expects him to continue to play like that. However, it just seems to be a general statement that we have the luxury of playing other guys who may be performing better than XJ, for example. We didn’t have that luxury last year.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Dawg This What We Do This Is What Were Meant To Do GIF - Dawg This What We Do This Is What Were Meant To Do Will Smith GIFs

:D 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I can't really envision a scenario that is good for this team that involves XJ seeing less mins. Just not enough guards/ball handlers to me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that XJ should be benched based off a single performance in an exhibition game. I doubt anyone truly expects him to continue to play like that. However, it just seems to be a general statement that we have the luxury of playing other guys who may be performing better than XJ, for example. We didn’t have that luxury last year.

But again, the shooting will be spotty at times for him.... he still plays great defense, keeps us at the tempo we need offensively, and generally passes the ball well.... So, I think we would really need the whole film along with Woodson or a staff member to know how he played on Sat because looking at the box score only won't help us. 

Truly, as long as the immaturity stays away and the turnovers are reasonable, I don't see XJ losing any playing time. He's too important for TJD and everyone else. It isn't plug and play at the point guard spot like it is at some of the other positions that we have. 

• Like 4

Wow.

If we had the "luxury" of benching X last year he would never have been able to play through the struggles and be coached up along the way.

Then we would never have had XJ, the dominant backcourt player we had at the end of the season.

I think too many are quick to think the bench is always the motivator or solution.

Nevermind the fact that X is a great defender (minus the silly fouls he is prone to!).

• Like 3