Surprise prediction for this season?

With an exhibition game under our belt, what is your surprise prediction for this year?

I'll start off by saying I think Race will get a couple minutes at the 3. I think he can defend the position. It looks like our front court has depth and quality. In an effort to get our best players on the floor, why not have Race along with TJD and Malik or Logan? 

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I'll start off by saying I think Race will get a couple minutes at the 3. I think he can defend the position. It looks like our front court has depth and quality. In an effort to get our best players on the floor, why not have Race along with TJD and Malik or Logan? 

You obviously could be right, but my take is that he can't play the three because I don't think he can handle the ball well enough to drive thru traffic. I'm afraid he would be a TO machine.

But I agree he could probably defend the 3.

1 minute ago, 02Hoosier said:

I’ll go with Logan averaging 5 minutes a game. He’s obviously got a lot of competition ahead of him but he showed today that he’s got some game in him and he can have an impact.

That would be nice to see but Woody took him to task in the post game interview saying he doesn't put in enough time and work on his game. I thought he looked better than I anticipated. Hell, he got a double double. But we don't see him in practice or outside of practice.

2 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I’ll go with Logan averaging 5 minutes a game. He’s obviously got a lot of competition ahead of him but he showed today that he’s got some game in him and he can have an impact.

No doubt he is solid. I want him to get enough minutes so he will be able to handle an increased load next year. 

My surprise is that I think CJ Gunn will get more minutes a game than Kopp by the end of the year. Not right away, but ½ way thru I think his minutes will increase IF he can improve his defense somewhat.

As an aside, I thought Gallo's shot looked pretty good today. He's still getting back into shape, but his defense smarts never left him.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

You obviously could be right, but my take is that he can't play the three because I don't think he can handle the ball well enough to drive thru traffic. I'm afraid he would be a TO machine.

But I agree he could probably defend the 3.

He played outside a lot today and I think we will continue to see that. He works well in the high low game with Trayce. As long as he can pass and shoot, you can pair him with Xavier and JHS to be more of the facilitators. 

Just thought I'd throw it out there. With Woody saying the guys are position less, you want as much talent and experience out there as possible. 

• Like 1

Just looked at the box score and a couple of surprises: (to me)

• JHS had 4 assists and 2 TO's (I had him for 3 TO's)
  • X had 3 assists and 2 TO's
  • We turned the ball over on 18% of our possessions. (I think that's pretty bad. But yes....its' the first exhibition game)
  • Only 1 dunk (Malik)
  • Held Marion to 25% shooting %
  • X & JHS were 0 for 5 from 3 pt land

I was a little surprised that CMW called Duncomb out the way he did today. I think he sees his potential and is pushing him to reach it. Gunn is a little farther along than I thought he would be at this point. At some point he will be really good. As good as we were today, I can't wait to see this team with TJD and Bates. At full strength, IU can be a force to be dealt with.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

With an exhibition game under our belt, what is your surprise prediction for this year?

At the end of last season Kopp was playing  the 4 with Race on the bench in crunch.  I'd prefer Race as a 5, if not playing the 4, as I've never seen him move like a true wing, especially with the ball in his hands.  Now I didn't get to watch today.  Maybe he's new and improved.  Maybe Malik and Logan can spell Trayce.  

I have no surprise predictions because i don't see any coming.   I wish we would play a true 4 out 1 in but the personnel is what it is. 

Please Lord, can we truly become more than the sum of it's parts and be crowned National freaking Champion?

@5foulsfinds true love 

@Mikefinds a 12 step program for trolls

@Stlboiler23finds his own forum so he can talk about PUke somewhere else 

@BruceDouglasfinds a place where his team is relevant 

@IU Scottfinds a place in the 1980’s that loves old school sports 

These are my “surprise “ predictions and I hope all of them come true.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

@5foulsfinds true love 

@Mikefinds a 12 step program for trolls

@Stlboiler23finds his own forum so he can talk about PUke somewhere else 

@BruceDouglasfinds a place where his team is relevant 

@IU Scottfinds a place in the 1980’s that loves old school sports 

These are my “surprise “ predictions and I hope all of them come true.

I find your take charge attitude kind of sexy. 🥰

Are you committed to someone?

• Haha 4

we really played 9-10 guys in close games last year.  yesterday was an exhibition and it was vs. Marian.  as far as playing time and roles go, when you add TJD and Bates to the mix, it just becomes a numbers game.  as much as i don't think Kopp should start or get starter minutes, it looks like for now it will be what most of us expected:  1 XJ 2 JHS 3 Kopp 4 Thompson 5 TJD... then we all saw quickly that (6) Reneau will need all of the minutes available when Race or Trayce are out right?  (7) Bates seems very likely to be the first guard sub right?  so we really don't have any minutes at all for Duncomb seeing that (8) Geronimo would surely play ahead of him.  then you have (9) Galloway.  seems like no room for Banks or Leal, so Gunn has a shot at being (10) who would play very limited minutes in close games.  of course injuries and suspensions seem to happen, so it is nice to have Leal, Banks, and Duncomb as the bottom 3.  not too shabby.  still concerned about 3 point shooting, but very excited to start a season with a 13 by our name!    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cthomas said:

I was a little surprised that CMW called Duncomb out the way he did today. I think he sees his potential and is pushing him to reach it. Gunn is a little farther along than I thought he would be at this point. At some point he will be really good. As good as we were today, I can't wait to see this team with TJD and Bates. At full strength, IU can be a force to be dealt with.

To me this is great coaching. He also gave him props to the team in the postgame locker room.

The perfect time, IMO, to push someone is when they have just had some success and you’ve given them some praise to their peers. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

we really played 9-10 guys in close games last year.  yesterday was an exhibition and it was vs. Marian.  as far as playing time and roles go, when you add TJD and Bates to the mix, it just becomes a numbers game.  as much as i don't think Kopp should start or get starter minutes, it looks like for now it will be what most of us expected:  1 XJ 2 JHS 3 Kopp 4 Thompson 5 TJD... then we all saw quickly that (6) Reneau will need all of the minutes available when Race or Trayce are out right?  (7) Bates seems very likely to be the first guard sub right?  so we really don't have any minutes at all for Duncomb seeing that (8) Geronimo would surely play ahead of him.  then you have (9) Galloway.  seems like no room for Banks or Leal, so Gunn has a shot at being (10) who would play very limited minutes in close games.  of course injuries and suspensions seem to happen, so it is nice to have Leal, Banks, and Duncomb as the bottom 3.  not too shabby.  still concerned about 3 point shooting, but very excited to start a season with a 13 by our name!    

TJD played 32 mpg and Race played 29 mpg last year and I think we'd all agree that was born out of necessity.

I'd like to see both of those numbers come down. Race averaged 7 ppg in his last 6 games, and you could tell he was gassed, especially in the tournament when we needed him most. 

I think everyone would agree that Logan is more serviceable than Michael Durr was on the offensive end and on the boards (there were 2 or 3 boards he had to fight for, and I thought he really scrapped and got them). Durr did have the ability to bump with the Kofis and Edeys of the world, but both Race and Trayce said Duncomb was better this year at holding his ground.

If Coach Woodson can get Race and Trayce down into the 25 mpg range, I can see Logan filling some of those minutes. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

To me this is great coaching. He also gave him props to the team in the postgame locker room.

The perfect time, IMO, to push someone is when they have just had some success and you’ve given them some praise to their peers. 

And Logan himself said he didn't put in the necessary work last year at both Big 10 Media Day and in yesterday's post game presser...

And anyone that was annoyed with his hair antics in the game shouldn't watch the post game 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Bates had 0 mins today. JHS and Bates will eat up those mins. 3 to 5 mins for Gunn maybe.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That’s still more than I thought he would get. I doubted he would get off the bench at all, now I can see 3-5.  

There will be games with foul trouble, nagging injuries, poor play, or riding the hot hand.  Give Gunn 5-7 on average.

• Like 1